RPG Crowdfunding News – The One Ring, Trudvang, Xanadu, and more

This week’s article features RPG projects and quickstarters ending in late February through mid-March. With hundreds of RPG crowdfunding offerings right now (mainly via Kickstarter’s Zine Quest), this week features an amazing number of quality options on Kickstarter. Since I cannot cover them all, I chose a cross section of options to present here.

This week’s article features RPG projects and quickstarters ending in late February through mid-March. With hundreds of RPG crowdfunding offerings right now (mainly via Kickstarter’s Zine Quest), this week features an amazing number of quality options on Kickstarter. Since I cannot cover them all, I chose a cross section of options to present here.
THE ONE RING™ Roleplaying Game, Second Edition.jpg
THE ONE RING™ Roleplaying Game, Second Edition from Free League Publishing
  • END DATE: Thu, March 4 2021 3:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): The One Ring 2e (TOR2e)
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: SEK 1,198 + S/H for the PDF and limited edition 10th Anniversary hardcover, the starter set, and more
  • NOTE: Adventures in Middle-earth, the Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition version is mentioned in the campaign with news coming this year
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Because TOR 1e was an amazing synthesis of source material and mechanics that perfectly told the stories of Middle-earth. Add to that, Free League always brings the right team, in this case it’s the return of Francesco Nepitello, the creator behind the original version. In addition, expect some Martin Grip artwork and this game is a winner. Anyone I’ve spoken to with knowledge of the new edition states it’s a great evolution.​

Trudvang- Seed of Vanirs.jpg

Trudvang: Seed of Vanirs from RiotMinds
  • END DATE: Fri, March 5 2021 7:27 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Trudvang Chronicles or Trudvang Adventures (for 5E)
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebooks
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: SEK 450 + SEK 250 US S/H for both books in PDF and physical printing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign creates two new books for both the Trudvang Chronicles and Trudvang Adventures (for 5E) rulesets: Seed of Vanirs, a 120+ page sourcebook, and The Elven Road, a 100+ page adventure campaign. If you want to add elves to your Trudvang campaigns, these sourcebooks delve into that field in-depth.

Xanadu - A Nibiru Roleplaying Game Expansion.png

Xanadu - A Nibiru Roleplaying Game Expansion from Araukana Media LTD
  • END DATE: Sat, February 27 2021 3:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Nibiru Roleplaying Game
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £30 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Set in a space station, the game offers a unique take on memory, nature, and more. This books is the first expansion for their Skyless World. This sci-fi RPG system was nominated for an ENnie Award.

Thrones & Bones- Norrøngard - 5th Edition Campaign Setting.png
Thrones & Bones: Norrøngard - 5th Edition Campaign Setting from Lou Anders
  • END DATE: Fri, March 12 2021 12:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This one is cool, Lou Anders, author of the Thrones & Bones trilogy, is adapting one of those books, Frostborn, and Norse mythology to offer a 5e campaign setting. I’m a fan of adapting outside media to RPGs (see The One Ring 2e above), but getting the original author to do it is an extra level of awesome! No one will offer a more authentic take on the world than the original creator, so this is a no brainer. If you like the source trilogy, Lou Anders’ writing, or just need around 200 pages of atmospheric Norse RPG setting, check out this campaign.

The Gaia Complex - A Game of Flesh and Wires.jpg

The Gaia Complex - A Game of Flesh and Wires from Hansor Publishing
  • END DATE: Tue, March 2 2021 2:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £35 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: The Gaia Complex - Quick Start
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In a hundred years, Europe is ruled by an AI named Gaia and vampires have risen up. As a human, you have to navigate between the demands of the artificial intelligence, vampires, and other threats as you try to get by. In this 256 page core rulebook, you’ll learn a new system and experience a cyberpunk world where the police are robots and vampires are real.

d36- A Strange RPG Zine.png

d36: A Strange RPG Zine from Loot the Room
  • END DATE: Thu, February 25 2021 2:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR and system neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £12 + S/H for the PDF and softcover of the zine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Peter Coffey of Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk podcast suggested I check this RPG out. It’s a series of 36-page zines printed in landscape. In these zines, they’ll share interesting OSR and system neutral content, each created by a different author. The first issue has an adventure, prophecy, body horror spells, a GM-less game about romance and violent uprisings, fiction, and more. It looks great and I can see why Peter recommended it.

Book of the Oracle (A supplement for Agents of G.A.I.A.).jpg

Book of the Oracle (A supplement for Agents of G.A.I.A.) from Battlefield Press
  • END DATE: Thu, March 11 2021 11:28 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, and Pathfinder 1e
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 for the Savage Worlds version of the book in PDF and POD
  • DISCLAIMER: I’ve written for Battlefield Press before (but not on this project)
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project expands on Battlefield Press’ Agents of G.A.I.A products, this time taking you to the isles of Greece as you discover what the consequences of the ancient gods’ actions are. Available in three major systems, if you’re looking for adventures as a government agent that can see beyond the veil, this may be the project for you.

I Remember When All This Was Trees- A Zine Quest 3 Project.jpeg
I Remember When All This Was Trees: A Zine Quest 3 Project from Density Media
  • END DATE: Sat, February 27 2021 11:36 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original LARP system
  • PROJECT TYPE: LARP zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $11 with free shipping for a PDF of the game plus 3 print zines
  • DISCLAIMER: Barak Blackburn of Density Media laid out my POWERED by the DREAMR zine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This zine is an opportunity to push back against the mood of our times. The darkness and violence are overwhelming, so this LARP offers something personal, fun, and magickal. In this game, you’ll connect with the magick all around you and unlock your powers to make it a better place. This zine includes instructions, suggestions, poems, and more to open the door to a wonderful time.

One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition.jpg

One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition from EN Publishing
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? As I write this, this project is not live yet, but I’ve seen a variety of previews from this site so, combined with EN Publishing’s other Kickstarters, I have a fair idea of what to expect. One-page adventures based on EN5ider adventures, condensed, easy-to-follow guidance that will see great adventures with little prep. Developed as single session adventures for levels 1 to 9, this offering promises to be another winner from EN Publishing.
Paranormal Inc..jpg

Paranormal Inc. from Alicia Furness (Ends on Tue, February 23 2021 9:00 AM EST.)
  • External Containment Bureau, a Zine Quest RPG! from Mythic Gazetteer, LLC (Ends on Tue, February 23 2021 11:59 AM EST.)
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT BOTH OF THESE CAMPAIGNS? Since there are so many great projects out there, I’m trying something a little different here and I’m running these two together. These two campaigns are by different creators, but both offer RPG zines that focus on being paranormal investigators (much as Agents of G.A.I.A. above). If you’re interested in playing a government agent dealing with the paranormal using a version of Forged in the Dark, try the External Containment Bureau. If you’re interested in playing as an employee in a world where the dead have returned, give this this GM-less Brindlewood Bay option, Paranormal, Inc., a look. Both of these offerings look fantastic. While they touch on similar ideas, each handles them in their own way and that’s the beauty of gaming, having a customized experience that speaks to how you want to play.
Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

dave2008

Legend
Thrones and Bones looks interesting. I agree that the original author being part of the RPG book is generally a good idea, at least for the flavor of the product.

imagineGod

Legend
I am torn between Trudvang Adventures and The One Ring Second Edition.

Trudvang is 5th Edition so a major plus and I have the Trudvang core pair arriving from last year.

The One Rings looks like a work of art but not being 5th Edition is a hard sell to my circle. Yet FOMO is tempting.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I have admitted to myself that I will be backing The One Ring. I just have to decide between my normal PDF-only approach or jumping in with both feat for that dead sexy deluxe rulebook.

I'm backing The One Ring. I love the art style, it reminds me of Coriolis, which was also published by Free League. Hopefully I'll get to play it some too, but most of my friends who love LotR I'd have to play over VTT anyway.

I'm backing The One Ring. I love the art style, it reminds me of Coriolis, which was also published by Free League. Hopefully I'll get to play it some too, but most of my friends who love LotR I'd have to play over VTT anyway.

Remove ads

Remove ads