RPG Crowdfunding News - Kisarta, Mistborn Metal Dice, Retropunk, and More

This edition of RPG Crowdfunding News focuses on RPG crowdfunding projects that end between Friday, December 20th and the day after Christmas: The Christmas Batch. Why end your campaign during the time of the year when continents of the world are on holiday? I think the answer is either they’re expecting a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE (capital letters) or these creators have never heard of Christmas and...

This edition of RPG Crowdfunding News focuses on RPG crowdfunding projects that end between Friday, December 20th and the day after Christmas: The Christmas Batch. Why end your campaign during the time of the year when continents of the world are on holiday? I think the answer is either they’re expecting a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE (capital letters) or these creators have never heard of Christmas and how it distracts a trivial portion of the Earth. Let’s check out the campaigns that will end while I’ll be headed to the proverbial grandma’s house.

Galder's Gazetteer- A 5e Expansion.png

ENDING THE FRIDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY

Galder's Gazetteer: A 5e Expansion by Zipperon Disney
  • END DATE: Fri, December 20 2019 11:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 for the PDF and POD of the book plus another PDF
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: I had this thought, I’ll look at where the project originates and see if, maybe, Santa doesn’t visit there. Who knows, maybe Christmas is a regional holiday and I never knew?! To kick off the quest, I called the historical society in Columbus and asked if they’d ever heard of Christmas. I got their voicemail. I left them, you know, a few dozen messages discussing my theories as to why Columbus might have never heard of St. Nick or Rudolph or... the weredeer one... (Which one of Santa’s reindeer was actually a weredeer? Comet? Is that right? Oh well, moving on...) Anyways, they didn’t return my calls, so I felt it my duty to chase this story for you, gentle reader. I called and they told me they weren’t having any more of my crank calls and to... well, my editor blushes at that kind of language so I will not repeat it. Thus, I’ll mark Ohio as “Maybe Heard of Christmas.”
Galder's Gazetteer is a major expansion to 5e for advanced players and GMs. The wizard Galder has traveled to many, many worlds. Along his journeys, he has taken notes on the mysterious and fantastic things he's encountered. Along with new classes, races and monsters, Galder's Gazetteer goes in an exciting direction by adding new game elements and fleshing out underdeveloped RPG mechanics. It's a more "traditional" tabletop game expansion: adding new bits to the mechanics and having features that key off of them. Look forward to beautiful illustrations and full color pages filled with new conditions, variant classes, monster templates, environment templates, archetypes, ancestries, feats, spells and more!”

Captain Hartchild's Guide to Oceanic Depths.png

Captain Hartchild's Guide to Oceanic Depths by BiteSizedGaming
  • END DATE: Fri, December 20 2019 8:00 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $27 + $8 US S/H for PDF and print copies of the book
“An extensive aquatic supplement compatible with 5th Edition. This product offers a massive amount of resources for 5th Edition players and DMs alike, allowing them to more fully explore the oceans and seas of fantasy campaign worlds. All product within this project are fully compatible with the standard rule set of 5th Edition and each section has been painstakingly conceived, designed, and edited to ensure a seamless integration. Everything will have an aquatic theme, though many of the creatures, items, and player options are not regulated to a life spent only on the open sea.”
talisevolvere.jpg

Talis Evolvere: Kanji Dice by Robin's Nerd Supplies
  • END DATE: Fri, December 20 2019 1:59 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • Talis Evolvere: Roll the Dice in Every Language.”
Mistborn Metal Dice.jpg
Mistborn Metal Dice by Crafty Games
  • END DATE: Fri, December 20 2019 2:59 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mistborn Adventure Game
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $200 + S/H for 20 unique Mistborn Metal Dice , 1 collector's tin, 1 Mistborn dice tray, and 1 Mistborn dice tower
“20 solid metal dice, each with a unique plating, finish, and Allomantic symbol from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn. We're Crafty Games. We've been making Mistborn tabletop game products since 2012. We have already made a roleplaying game with multiple supplements in both eras of the Mistborn universe, a board game pitting players against one another as leaders of the Great Noble Houses, and an acrylic Mistborn Allomancy Dice set. We came up with a set of 20 - yes, TWENTY - solid metal dice, each with a unique plating, finish, and symbol from the Mistborn novels by fantasy mastermind and NYT bestselling author, Brandon Sanderson. These symbols replace the 6 on each die, making them ideal for any purpose where rolling high is desired. This includes most dice pool systems, such as the one featured in the Mistborn Adventure Game.”
Kisarta.png

ENDING THE SATURDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY

Kisarta, a 5e rpg setting of damned souls and dark horrors by Isola Illyon Edizioni
  • END DATE: Sat, December 21 2019 12:00 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Campaign setting
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €40 for the PDF and print of the book
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: The Kisarta - Quickstart 1.1 is free at DriveThruRPG
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: I Googled “Jesus” and “Italy” and got 4.92 trillion returns. Honest! Would I lie?! But not a Peep about the holiday or any other marshmallow candies.
“Face horrors from a netherworld as a Soul, dead and damned, in this dark fantasy rpg setting for 5th Edition! Kisarta is a new RPG Setting Rulebook for the 5th Edition (OGL) that will be published worldwide in English and Italian language. Welcome to Kisarta, a world of danger and horror, where you will face chaos, insanity and damnation as well as deadly enemies and frightening monsters. The netherworld realms of Kisarta are ruled by unholy and terrifying beings, and inhabited by the souls of the dead that awaken there. It is a place of struggle, and every adventurer must face constant danger and harsh challenges. Each player impersonates the Soul of a dead person awakening in a tomb near the mysterious City of Limbo. Souls must fight, plot, track down cults and conspiracies to uncover ancient secrets hidden among the forgotten ruins and in the minds of the beings that live there. Only then can they hope to carve out a place for themselves within the tangles of the Great Game, where true power lies.”
Magic Items Unchained.jpg
Magic Items Unchained by Realmware
  • END DATE: Sat, December 21 2019 6:00 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Deck of cards
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$44 + AU$10 US S/H for the PDF and print versions of the deck
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: In Australian’s defense, they’re on a different day than the rest of the folks reading my drivel. Isn’t it summer there now? Maybe, this is where Christmas in July originated?! You ever consider that? Huh? No, you didn’t, Keith.
Magic Items Unchained is a deck of 60+ magic item cards for Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. The deck contains cards from common to legendary rarity. The cards bring new and unique ideas without interfering with the balance of the system. The items come to life by the stunning artwork of different artists. These high quality, laminated cards are the perfect handout to reward the players for their heroic deeds. The deck comes with a separate sheet of paper which contains some inspiration for the dungeon masters, like location ideas, crafting materials and plot hooks regarding the items. These ideas can help in the making of side quests for any story, so they are very useful when the players go off the track, or it can save precious preparation time.”
'TWAS - The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas.png

'TWAS - The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas by Jonathan Green
  • END DATE: Sat, December 21 2019 6:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £15 for the PDF
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: I asked Morrus, since he’s in the UK, if he’d ever heard of Christmas Holiday. He asked me if Christmas Holiday worked at TSR and if he was the guy that wrote the classic module Q32-06z, the one based on Back to the Future II, and if I could get him to write a column about his time working with Gary? So, um, starting in January... uh, “classic” TSR creator, Christmas Holiday, will have a column for EN World focusing on, uh, his... setting that was... never (?) published by TSR... named... Grey Realms of the Lance...
'TWAS - The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas is a rules-lite RPG, designed to be picked up and played with minimal preparation. It is inspired by the legends and literature of Christmas, as well as the ACE Gamebook 'TWAS - The Krampus Night Before Christmas. In 'TWAS - The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas, the players take on the role of various toys, brought to life by Santa Claus, so that they might save him from Krampus, the Christmas Devil, who has abducted the jolly old elf. What follows is an epic adventure, that will take them to the arctic wilderness of the North Pole and, eventually, into Santa's workshop itself. Written by Jonathan Green, and illustrated by Tony Hough, 'TWAS - The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas is ideal for a festive gaming session with an established group, or even as an alternative to the games usually played on Christmas Day.”
Retropunk, a cyberpunk tabletop roleplaying game.jpg

Retropunk, a cyberpunk tabletop roleplaying game by Samjoko Publishing
  • END DATE: Sat, December 21 2019 10:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$33 for the PDF and POD of the book
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: I Googled “Canada” and “Christmas” and got “Letterkenny.” That’s a hard pass, good buddy. Hard pass? On Christmas? That’s a Texas-sized 10-4.
“Modern and old-school cyberpunk tabletop game design set in a world where the digital and physical create a new hybrid reality. Retropunk is a tabletop roleplaying game where you embody characters in a futuristic hybrid reality. The digital and the physical have merged. People navigate their daily lives in something beyond augmented reality by way of a neurochip implanted at birth. The characters in Retropunk have hacked their neurochips in a way that lets them navigate hybrid reality just like everyone else, but disables monitoring from the system. They use their anonymity as armor while they fight against the corporatocracy which controls urban sprawls that span countries and continents. One of the player characters' goals in Retropunk is to take resources away from those in power and to use what they take to sustain and grow their resistance, taking on more powerful factions that facilitate these megacorporations vice-like control.”

HandyMaps Buildings & Structures - A5 Card Handouts for RPGs by MonkeyBlood Design & Publishing
  • END DATE: Sat, December 21 2019 3:03 PM EST.
  • “A5 building/structure card handouts by Gold ENnie award-winning cartographer, Glynn Seal. For all fantasy role-playing games.”
spielbox - Game Magazine since 2010.png

ENDING THE SUNDAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY

spielbox - Game Magazine since 2010 by spielbox
  • END DATE: Sun, December 22 2019 3:47 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Gaming magazine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €39 + €24 US S/H for the PDF and print magazines
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: I only know one person in Germany, so I guessed what Jennifer Fuss will be doing for Christmas and decided she’d be at a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP entitled “Christmas Night by Night.” There’s, like, a 1-in-5,000,000,000 chance that’ll come to pass.
“Seven times per year, the magazine delivers game reviews, news, fair reports and suggestions for & variations of already familiar games. spielbox® is the greatest and oldest magazine in the world that focuses on board games and card games. Since 1981, whole generations of well-esteemed and professional reviewers have offered potential game buyers helpful information. Seven times a year, our special interest magazine delivers up-to-date, extensive information on new national and international games, game reviews by independent journalists, suggestions for and variations of established games, reports around the world of games, [and] fair reports. Almost every issue contains (often exclusive) add-ons to new or already well-known games.”

MAPS YOUR PARTY WILL DIE FOR for 5e / Pathfinder / OSR RPGs by Laidback Dungeon Master
  • END DATE: Sun, December 22 2019 6:02 AM EST.
  • “A book / digital package of Full Color Maps & Adventure Seeds for Fantasy RPGs - 5e, Pathfinder, OSR.”
Easy Dungeon- The Village.jpg
Easy Dungeon: The Village by Games06
  • END DATE: Sun, December 22 2019 3:30 PM EST.
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: Games06 reached out to me on EN World and requested that I cover their work. When I saw the end date, I decided there was no reason I wouldn’t show them some Christmas cheer... Otherwise, they might take umbrage and snorkel from Italy to the coast of Georgia and pick up the Tybee Island bomb before coming up to Atlanta and thrashing me with it thusly!
“Modular Magnetic Terrain for Role Playing and War Games. It's time to get out the dungeon! Or if you prefer, to start where usually all the adventures begin before entering some dark maze, that is...in the open-air! With the Easy Dungeon magnetic modular system you can create your setting exactly as you want and change it whenever you like, without having to always use the same shapes for houses, inns, taverns, markets ... And once the game session is over, the Easy Dungeon can be stowed away completely in its box, which makes it very comfortable to carry around even when playing at a friend's house!”

TURRIM Dice - It's How Wizards Roll by Moonmares Games
  • END DATE: Sun, December 22 2019 6:00 PM EST.
  • “The dice ARE the tower! This uniquely designed work of magical art features precision made, stackable polyhedral dice. Roll with style!”
AsA Wave Three Adventures.png

ENDING THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS

AsA Wave Three Adventures by Avalon Game Company
  • END DATE: Thu, December 26 2019 8:41 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Gamebook and adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 for five PDFs
  • EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: The entire state of California gets a pass since they wrapped filming Jingle All The Way 2: The Revenging in April, which threw off their mental calendars like when you’re at work and you think it’s Wednesday but it’s actually December.
“Wave Three of Adventures for AsA, a Solo 5e D&D system. The third and final wave of adventure for the AsA system. Yep more adventures and more fun, all because Avalon Games loves creating fun, exciting games. This time around we have five adventures and gaming supplements for the system, all by the same creative team that have produced well over 40 such adventures and campaigns. The system is usable for anyone who has ever wanted to play a solo 5e D&D adventure. It’s all here: the inns, the monsters, the treasures, the secrets, and the story!”

DungeonMats: Neoprene Mats for RPG & War Gaming by Evan Carothers
  • END DATE: Thu, December 26 2019 3:45 PM EST.
  • “24x36" Double-sided, obstacle free neoprene battle mats with 1" grids, designed specifically for use with terrain and minis.”
SIGNAL BOOST

VAST KAVIYA by Mike Myler
  • END DATE: 12/23/2019 21:59 (GMT-5) [Extended from its original run]
  • NOTE: Mike Myler writes for EN World and EN Publishing’s EN5ider Patreon
  • NOTE 2: You can listen to Mike talk with Morrus and Peter Coffey here
  • NOTE 3: Try before you buy with the primer at DriveThruRPG
  • NOTE 4: This campaign is available through GameOnTabletop
  • “A primordial sword and sorcery campaign setting of low magic and high adventure for D&D 5E!”
EGG’S CHRISTMAS QUEST: In conclusion, I guess these crowdfunding campaigns just happened to end when they end. In that spirit, I wish each of these campaigns much success this holiday season. :)

NOTE: This article includes affiliate links to DriveThruRPG. As a DriveThruRPG Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

On Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk podcast this week, Morrus and Peter review these Kickstarters at 20:50:
  • Galder’s Gazetteer: A 5e Expansion
  • Captain Hartchild’s Guide to Oceanic Depths
  • Talix Evolvere: Kanji Dice (Which Morrus backed on the podcast so I feel this article does have an impact)
  • Mistborn Metal Dice
  • Kisarta: A 5e RPG Setting of Damned Souls and Dark Horrors
  • Magic Items Unchained
  • Twas the Roleplaying Game Before Christmas
  • Retropunk: A Cyberpunk Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Remove ads

Remove ads