RPG Evolution: The Half-Edition Shuffle

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons is finally on the horizon, but it's not here just yet. So when do publishers makes the shift?

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons is finally on the horizon, but it's not here just yet. So when do publishers makes the shift?

thehalfeditionshuffle.png

A Historical Model​

D&D has been through several editions in recent memory, but few match the recent transition between two compatible editions. Although backwards compatibility is often promised, it's rarely delivered. And there's also the consideration of the thousands of small press publishers created through the Open Game License movement, which didn't exist before Third Edition. Of all the edition shifts, the 3.0 to 3.5 transition seems closest to what D&D is going through right now, so it's a good place to start this thought experiment.

Compatible, Sort Of​

Fifth Edition's transition to Sixth involves tweaks to the game. Those tweaks seemed largely cosmetic, at first. With the release of Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse, it's clear that the spellcasting section of monsters is going to be significantly changed. In short, while players may find their characters compatible with the latest edition of D&D, DMs may find their monsters aren't. And that's a problem for publishers. But mechanically, all of these issues can be addressed. What really matters is what customers think. And that's often shaped by branding.

What a Half-Edition Means​

The transition between Third Edition and 3.5 was more significant than many publishers were expecting. You can see a list on RPG Stack Exchange, which shows just how much the new edition changed the game.

This did not go unnoticed by consumers. The OGL movement was still developing but it caught many publishers by surprise, including the company I wrote for at the time, Monkeygod Publishing (they're no longer in business). When we released my hardcover book Frost & Fur, the only identifier was the D20 System logo. Little did we know that it was imperative to identify the book as 3.5-compatible (which it was), because stores wouldn't carry it and consumers wouldn't buy it if it wasn't.

There wasn't nearly as much communication from WIzards of the Coast back then as to how to prepare for the edition change, much less columns from the company explaining their strategy. More communication about the upcoming edition may mitigate its impact on third-party publishers.

Between the DM's Guild and DriveThruRPG, there is now an ecosystem that can more readily update itself without taking up shelf space or clogging up inventory. Digital products can be changed, covers can be rebranded, and newsletters can announce the update. Wizards of the Coast has also given considerable lead time on the coming changes by announcing the edition well in advance and updating books piecemeal so developers can see what changed. But there's still one important piece of the puzzle.

What Do Consumers Think?​

One of the ongoing concerns for supporting publishers of Third Edition was how the Open Game License would be updated and, at least as important, how to identify that compatibility.

Updating the OGL enables publishers to ensure their products are compatible. The OGL doesn't specify stat block structure, so it may not even be necessary to update the license much if at all.

Identifying compatibility will be even more critical. At some point, publishers will start identifying their products as Sixth Edition compatible. And that will happen when consumers shift their spending habits.

The Changeover​

But first, WOTC has to declare that Sixth Edition has officially arrived. Wizards was hesitant to put a number on Fifth Edition, preferring instead to indicate it was simply D&D to potentially head off edition controversy. Failure to do that in a timely fashion (or worse, failure to recognize a new edition at all and continue calling it Fifth Edition) will cause potential confusion in the marketplace, with both consumers and publishers.

At some point the tide will turn and consumers will expect compatibility with the new edition. That change is complicated by the fact that Sixth Edition should be largely compatible with Fifth Edition. But only consumers can decide that for sure; if they don't feel it is, there will be a sharp drop off in Fifth Edition buying habits. For smaller publishers, they'll stay close to the market to determine when that shift is happening and how to transition smoothly without harming their business model.

Getting it right can be lucrative. Getting it wrong can sink a company. The market convulsed massively when 3.5 came out, wiping out publishers and game store stock that were unprepared for the change. Here's hoping with enough foresight and planning, we don't have a repeat of the 3.0 transition.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Yaarel

He Mage
The cultural aspects of a race can easily be a background.

Elves diversify into many different cultural backgrounds that tend to infuse daily life with magical ambiance.

"Grey Griffon Rider"
"High Treehouse Shaper"
"Grugach Snare Trapper"
"Avariel Glassteel Artisan"
"Aevendrow Eldritch Tailor"

Indeed, these D&D traditions look more like vocational backgrounds than genetic predetermination.

Yaarel

He Mage
In the same way there are different kinds of Giant and different kinds of Goblinoid, "Elven" too should probably be its own Creature Type.

So there is such thing as a Fey elf and a Celestial elf and a Shadow elf and an Undead elf, and a Humanoid elf. These represent a shift away from the original Elven Creature Type but still retain a residual "Elven Ancestry".

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This is where I am too! I just cracked my satlmarsh book—-it’s good and I have never used it!

we have only played a relative handful of campaigns so it would be odd for me to move on to the next edition. My books look too new!
The flip side of the people saying RPG books are a great value for their money. Some are, sure, like the core books. Others barely if ever get used. It’s surprising how hot gamers are for new editions sometimes considering the same argument. You get more and more value for your money if you just keep playing the game you have instead of buying a new one.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The flip side of the people saying RPG books are a great value for their money. Some are, sure, like the core books. Others barely if ever get used. It’s surprising how hot gamers are for new editions sometimes considering the same argument. You get more and more value for your money if you just keep playing the game you have instead of buying a new one.
I'm very hopeful that this anniversary edition is just 5e with a paintjob precisely for that reason. Unlike the previous edition switches Wizards has no economic incentive to release a new edition. And also unlike the previous editions Wizards has very little game mechanical reasons to release a new edition. Some errata, some tweaks to presentation, some feats that are not balanced correctly. The most "broken" thing I can think of in 5e is the Backgrounds, and it's mostly because they're underused not because they're actually broken.

Wizards is still selling most of the adventures that they've produced for 5e. The core books are still the top selling D&D books on Amazon even after all this time. Previous editions were generally responses to changing game tastes and dropping sales - there's none of that going on right now.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
We are talking about a new edition though. This is exactly when they can mess around and introduce stuff.
2024 is not supposed to be a new edition. Just reprints of the core books to line with their new format. If they were actually making a new edition I would have so many ideas...

Jaeger

That someone better
When I think of the gaming culture at that time, there wasn't much else they could do. The d20/OGL movement was huge. Everything from Star Wars, to superheroes, to Call of Cthulhu went d20. It was the Rosetta Stone for gaming. And when 4e was released, it was so badly received by many gamers. (Do you remember the shirts at GenCon that said "4e killed Gary?")

?? I wasn't hinting at switching systems..

What Pazio should have done is actually fix the underlying issues of 3.5, get rid of the ivory tower feat design, and streamline the certain known system issues. Essentially what corefinder is aiming to do many years after the fact.

IMHO this would have put Pathfinder more into what became 5e's design space - but with more charop. But this would have necessitated a top down redesign, and like you said, rules were not Pazio's forte at the time.

That would have been a much bigger risk, and even if they were capable, I think it was one that Pazio would not have taken. And it is one of those things that is really only visible with 20/20 hindsight backseat driving.

My group refused to even look at D&D 5e because they hated 4e so much and had moved on to Pathfinder. Even today they are just now starting to look at 5e (I think because they've decided they don't want to try PF2).

That's unusual. Most groups flocked back to the official D&D banner as soon as WotC gave them an excuse to do so.

Huh. Swapping the bonus for a reaction. Never considered that. I wonder how that would affect gameplay? It would certainly influence OA the most. Is there a feat that gives you extra reactions?

The idea is for certain things like dual wielding. Want that extra attack? Ok give up your reaction to do it.

The player weighs his desire to do extra damage vs. losing his ability to roll a save that round if something else happens.

It is not a universal replacement for things that were part of the bonus action economy. Like I said "bonus actions" should be gone through and moved into what fits best: Can just do it, a free action, a regular action, or use your reaction.

Yaarel

He Mage
Things that I want for the 50e:

Each feat and each spell doublechecked and updated if necessary to make sure it is balanced, useful and appealing, for its design space and level.

The more recent versions of classes and subclasses that prove popular.

Two Psion classes, one for a full caster using normal mechanics, but innate without components, and one using nontraditional experimental mechanics. But these classes depend on being well received by D&D players ahead of time.

A Cleric whose class description is more ethnically inclusive of the diversity of sacred concepts and traditions. The "cosmic force" in Xanathars is a solid approach. Ethics, alignments, vows, polytheism, animism, elementalism, monism, etcetera, are examples of sacred cosmic forces that a Cleric can adhere.

Anything and everything relating to skills and tools go into one place in the Players Handbook (not scattered across sections and books).

I am happy with the current direction for formatting races. A beefier version of Custom Lineage to qualify for various races and creature types would be nice.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads