RPG Evolution: When Gamers Retire

Adults gamers are always pining for more time to play. What happens when they retire?

Adults gamers are always pining for more time to play. What happens when they retire?

pensioners-3347948_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Retirement Is Coming​

We've discussed previously how difficult it is for tabletop game designers to retire. But for the bulk of gamers who play as a hobby, retirement is a new stage of life that changes gaming opportunities.

The 76 million boomer generation in the U.S. have already retired of course, so they're finding out just what it means to be retired gamers. But the next generation of Gen X (my generation) is right behind them at 55 million in the U.S. alone, entering their 50s now with retirement looming large. The Millennials (62 million strong in the U.S.) are an even larger cohort. More important, people are living longer, with adults in their 60s having a roughly 50 percent chance of reaching 90. For many, they have around 20 years before their minds enter decline.

All this adds up to more retirees and more potential gamers.

What You Do in Retirement​

Being able to retire at all is a privilege. Not everyone can afford to do it, and the social safety nets in many countries have withered over time. But for those that can, retirement is a new phase in life, as lifestyles shift from working to what happens after the workforce.

Unfortunately, there are few guideposts as what retirees are supposed to do with their free time (besides keep working). Many turn to community efforts, giving back in some way. Still others pursue their hobbies -- the image of retirees golfing exists for good reason. So what do gamers do when they retire?

Game of course. Or they would, assuming they still want to.

Do You Want to Play a Game?​

Retirement often comes with adult children and grandchildren who put demands on the retirees time. And giving back to the community is a powerful pull, finding meaning in sharing experience with others. For those who can afford it, many seniors travel too.

But with the potential for a very large senior gamer cohort, the possibility of large groups of gamers finding each other over the Internet and playing more often is a real possibility. One of the players in my group is about to retire, and we're looking forward to her being able to play into the evening without worrying about going to work the next day.

We know that tabletop gaming is good for you: it establishes lifelong friendships through share experience, it helps players work through their emotions and frustrations, and--critically for retirees--it stimulates the mind. Many retirees try to keep busy to keep their minds sharp, and gaming requires full use of mental faculties.

Will we play RPGs after we retire with our newfound free time? If DndGrandma is any indication, most of us certainly will be.

Your Turn: Do you play with retirees? Do you plan to game when you are one?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

GuyBoy

Hero
Interesting article and it ties gaming in with the much wider issues of ageing populations, social policy changes and many other issues.
Speaking personally, I was lucky enough to be in a position to retire a couple of years ago at 58 and I’ve enjoyed it a lot. I’ve never played golf and playing good standard rugby is in the past sadly, but I’ve coached rugby to kids, worked in a food bank ( and how awful is it that these are necessary; there’s enough money to feed need, but not enough to feed greed!) and I’m actually working part time on a vineyard, just because it’s so totally different from anything I’ve ever done.
But regards gaming: the extra time has been a huge bonus. I have more time to prep for my monthly face to face group, where I DM, and I’m also part of two fantastic online games, run by @TheSword and @Steampunkette respectively.
And I get to spend more time with my wife and my grandkids.
And I’ve just got involved in coaching a local American Football team ( this is UK, so nothing like US level of excellence, but fun).

Overall though, the wonder of the gaming is that it’s stayed with me, as a big part of my life, since I first played a white box game when I was 14, and is still a massive part of my life still as a retiree. I sometimes muse that I was 14 when I rolled up Aelric the fighter, and I guess I saw him as around 22 in my imagination; he’d be 68 now......if he hadn’t been killed in an orc ambush when he was level3!

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Cannot wait to combine retirement with golf and D&D. Hope I can still remember it though.

1695040751249.png

More seriously though, I can see D&D catching on in retirement places. There is people with the time to play and combine with people available most times of the day, I'm sure there can be a weekly or bi-weekly game formed. Might be a great place to have an afterschool club with these older mentors. Throw in new technology with computers and how AI could aid in the experience, I think it would be fun.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Just about the worst thing you can do when you retire is nothing. As in, put your feet up. That's part of why the people who got a retirement keep going into work. Being retired and being unemployed have similar harmful effects on physical and mental health.

LOL won't be a problem for me. I've made my peace with the fact that retirement won't be an option for me. "Social safety nets" lol.

I just don't get why climate activism isn't a big deal for retirees. Things have really and obviously changed since I was a kid and makes me wonder where the "Captain Planet" generation went.

ichabod

Legned
I retired early, and I spend a lot of time on games. However, now that I have time to play all the games I want, I find I have trouble finding other people with the time to play them with me. Of course, my social anxiety could be interfering with the whole process...

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Six years ago, a friend of mine lost his leg to diabetes and had to live in a retirement home. He was 60, so much younger than most of the other people in there. We gamed in the common areas of the old folks home. At one point, the party was getting back to town and was trying to get lodgings and some old lady butted in and asked what we were doing. We explained we were playing D&D (actually, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, but close enough for the aged). A few weeks later, we were playing again, and she was sitting with a friend in the lounge. Her friend asked her what we were doing and she said in a loud, nasal voice, "Oh, they're playing Dragons and Dungeons. It's hilarious! They're going to all these motels."

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is something I am thinking more and more about. No idea how I plan to do it, but I hope to have regular gaming groups in retirement. I'm keeping my ear to ground on what other folks are doing.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads