• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG systems you liked -- much to your surprise

Bront

The man with the probe
Deadlands - Quirky but solid die mechanics, interesting abilities, and odd world. The game was a lot of fun. I don't care for westerns in general, but this was definately something more.

Shades of Green

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
D&D 3e / d20.
Me too. I was an AD&D 2e player and DM and it took me some time to accept some of the basic assumptions of D&D 3e (i.e. magic items are easy to buy/build; the power level is higher), but eventually I got around it and got to like the system.

MonsterMash

First Post
Runequest2 - didn't really know what to expect when I bought it - ended up playing it much more than 1e D&D
D&D 3e/D20 system pleasantly surprised.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Dagger75 said:
Mine was Angel. I really liked the game and the system. I'm not a big Angel fan, actually only watched season 5 but I still really enjoyed the system.

Runner Ups:

Feng Shui
Hero 5th Edition

How interesting...as two of the three are choices for this weekend's game... :cool:

Will it be two-fisted, ass-kickin' action or supernatural, brooding, ass-kickin' action?

Tinner

First Post
V:tM MET LARP - Larp in general really. How much fun could I possibly have playing paper/rock/scissors with a bunch of angsty posers? Turns out a whole lot!

Over the Edge - While the system is only just barely functional, the game itself is so full of oddball, quirky insanity, I can't help but love it.

X-Crawl - I was literally dragged into a game at Origins 2004. Bredan LaSalle literally grabbed me out of the breezeway and asked me to help round out a tournament team that was short a member. I had nothing better to do, so I agreed. Turned out the team was short several players, so I would up taking on the roles of "Snoop-Doggy Frodo" halfing rogue, and "Blood Daddy" human cleric of Apollo. Our team proceeded to get stomped by wine elementals, topiary golems, hangman's trees, and some pygmies shooting some seriously psycedelic darts at us. Somehow though, we managed to make it into the finals! Things were going great, and we were ahead on points until a goblin firing a medecine ball cannon knocked Blood Daddy off a narrow walkway, and he fell t his death from the roof of an old mansion. Nevertheless, I was hooked!

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Savage Worlds: Easy character creation, fast combat. A very simple rules system. Not at all what I usually play or GM, but it does what it claims. Fast, Furious, Fun.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Mutants and Masterminds - I tried a bunch of super-hero systems, but none of them were ever really what I wanted for long-term play. Someone suggested MnM and loaned me the book. I got hooked bigtime.

Spaceship Zero - I was expecting it to be fun, but not BIG, BIG fun. A great game, especially when played with folks that really want to groove on the genre.

Starchildren - Heard the concept, bought the game, immediately decided I could never run it because the system was a horrible mess. Eventually I ended up playing a session at a con, and it was still fun (despite the system being the horrible mess I predicted it to be).

HOL - The game was written as a joke, but I played in a surprisingly in-depth and cool mini-campaign for a few months.

Akrasia said:
My question: What RPG systems have your tried -- and liked -- despite initial doubts?
d20/D&D3e. I hated D&D before this came out. I was one of those latte set gamers over at rpg.net that smugly despised D&D and all it stood for.

Today, I hardly ever play a game that isn't d20. I guess you could say I was a convert.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I can't say that I've gone into any game with doubts. I'll give any game a fair shake, but I'll glady turn my back on it if it doesn't give a fun experience. That said, my favorite systems are:

D&D 3/3.5E: (No kidding! ;) ) I left 2E when it ceased to give me what I wanted from a game, but when I read what all was being changed I had a good idea that I would probably like the new D&D. Sure enough I did.

D20 Modern/Future: I love this game. WotC, along with other companies like The Game Mechanics, Ronin Arts, Adamant, and LPJ Designs, did a great job of creating a good, modular ruleset that allows a degree of believability that still conveys a feeling of heroics that I look for when I play games. I'm not one for a lot of heavy reality in my games. If I want a common man to be able to do things that most cannot, D20 will not disappoint. Too many times, game systems try to simulate real life and bog down the play, forgetting the aspect of heroics that draw many (if not most) to RPG's in the first place. D20 Modern kept the heroics and gave us enough reality to to keep the feel in check. (IMO of course. ;) )

M&M: I guess I had doubts on this one. Super heroes games are so hard to do right. Designers walk a fine line between creating a playable game that offers not only an easy to run system with balanced characters and one with enough powers that play as closely as we see in the comics. Green Ronin did an excellent job with this system. M&M is hands down my favorite system for running supers.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay v2: I only played the original a couple times and liked it alright. I don't remember alot about it, but other than a few clunky rules it seemed pretty solid. The new version took away a lot of the clunkiness and made as extremely playable (if not brutal at times) game. Very fun.

Call of Cthulhu D20: I never really cared for Chaosium's CoC system, but I like what was done with the D20 version. It's still scary, still deadly, but at least the PC's have a shot at survival now. (The old CoC campaign I played in was akin to a meat grinder. Not sure if this was due to how the rules were written or the GM, but I created a LOT of characters during that short-ran campaign.) This is the system I use for creepy, lethal campaigns even when I'm not really running CoC.

D20 Star Wars: I didn't much care for the WEG rules, and while I liked the D20 system I was skeptical that it could deliver on the SW feel. I had no doubts after the first session. The characters (all level 1) twarted an assassination attempt on the Supreme Chancillor (before Palpy took the role), had a daring chase via aircars through the skyways of Coruscant, and faced down a dark Jedi in the depths of the Undercity. Very cool. Very evocative. Great fun.

Savage Worlds: Picked this up on a whim, and I really like it. It's quick and easy to play and has plenty of character options. I don't like it as much as D20, but I would run an extended campaign with this system.

Deadlands: I love westerns. While Deadlands isn't really a true western ruleset (Sidewinder: Recoiled is what I use for true westerns), it's a great setting for creepy zombie-blasting, undead hunting in the wild west fun. Plus, I love the mechanics of playing cards in a western setting.

Hackmaster: I don't look at it as a serious attempt to make a "more logical" 3E than 3E is. I look at it as tongue-in-cheek AD&D. It's great fun in small bursts, and pretty funny to. Too bad the cost to DM's is so high with all the extended monster book series.

There are other systems that I've really liked over the years, but these are the ones that come to mind instantly.

Kane

The_Universe

First Post
Honestly, the one I was supposed surprised to find I liked was D&D 3E. After hating 1st and 2nd editions of the game with every fiber of my being, I was frankly shocked to find the new edition of D&D (circa 2000) was my favorite game, ever. With the advent of "D20" and the OGL, my love only deepened - and all of this from a game that I had to be talked into buying in a moment of weakness!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads