• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGNet - What's Up With the d20 Ghetto?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Psion said:
That said, sometimes when I would post a thread at RPGnet before, I specifically intended/expected the topic to be vetted by a mixed d20/non-d20 audience, and now I sense there is no on place to get that anymore like you once could in the RPGnet general forum.
That's a very good point. I play a lot of different games, and when I ask for advice on some part of my D&D campaign, I'm looking for a view that includes everyone, including people who prefer other systems. I think you can learn a lot by asking a question of a group of people who come at it from the outside and can give a fresh perspective on things. That's something that gets lost when you're just preaching to the choir...

--Steve

Turjan

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
And I'd wish ENWorld would stop and move it to General.

Look at the traffic on that forum. It's extremely slow. If discussion of those games was moved to general - I think a LOT more interest in d20/OGL would be created with those posts and it would increase sales and broaden the hobby.
I always thought that it was big mistake to create that subforum. It's probably a simple coincidence, but the d20 games were on their way to insignificance when they were moved out of the view of the D&D crowd here in General.

I don't like the new forum on rpg.net, either. Now, you have basically the same audience in the specific forum on rpg.net as here on EN World in General. On rpg.net, you could have completely different discussions of d20 topics, which were interesting in their own way, despite the occasional threadcrap. Now it's the same old.

ssampier

First Post
I wonder if the EnWorld d20 subtopic forum discussion would better served on Meta.

I personally like the sub-forum, but it gets so few eyeballs. I wonder if non d20/D&D games would be better served by their own sub forum since those threads can quickly disappear (that is pushed off first 3 pages).

Graf

Explorer
It's the story of the internet.

Initially there was this belief that since you can find -any- thing on it that it would be a great broadener. over time it's proven not to be true for almost everything.

People like going to places (metaphorically speaking) where people agree with them. If they have to co-exist together they they... well... they don't actually co-exist. They just threadcrap.

rpg.net is just accepting the natural fragmentation. DnD people get to play in one sandbox, other people get another.

The next stage is going to be "subcribing to multiple forums at once".
So I could see the OGL/non-DnD d20 stuff along with the General threads that I'm interested in one display (think RSS).

As soon as people move to a full "tagging system" with a cloud mechanism the happier I think people with multiple interests and little time (like me) will be.

Beckett

Explorer
Provided you're not IP banned, trouble tickets is once again open to the public. 300+ posts of discussion can be found here: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=323209

It ends with Shannon saying things are looking good for the split, and he'll have a better idea in a month or so.

ETA- I don't think it's a forbidden topic, but I think the admin's feeling is that all viewpoints have been expressed, now is the time to see how it works in practice.

Steel_Wind

Legend
ssampier said:
I wonder if the EnWorld d20 subtopic forum discussion would better served on Meta.

I personally like the sub-forum, but it gets so few eyeballs. I wonder if non d20/D&D games would be better served by their own sub forum since those threads can quickly disappear (that is pushed off first 3 pages).

Certainly is *supposed* to be on Meta I guess.

But then - the vast number of people would then never see it. :lol:

Remove ads