• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGNow Sales Numbers Update

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I still want to see sales numbers . . .

These are RPGNow sales only.

101 Arcane Spell Components -- 154
101 Mundane Treasures -- 308
101 Spellbooks -- 284
A Dozen Free Spellbooks -- 872
Another 101 Mundane Treasures -- 54
Assassin's Guide to Poisons -- 636
Construct Mechanus -- 93
In the Depths of BlackWater -- 46
Possessors -- 21
Star Ace Primer -- 66
The Cursed Temple -- 739
The Mad Merchant's Shop of Curious Wares -- 283

MThibault

First Post
Dextra said:

I was certain that the Colouring Book was going to at least beat out Everyone Else! (sigh... guess that pony'll wait a little longer!)

Sorry, I can't help with the pony. I can buy the gals ice cream the next time I'm in the neighborhood... I know, it's not the same.

Cheers

Re: I still want to see sales numbers . . .

So far we've sold 91 copies of A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe.

There's been 349 copies of A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe- Free Preview

Only have one product, so im now "completely transparent" :)

joe b.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Re: Re: Re: banners

RangerWickett said:

:) Little question: When was the last time you saw a banner ad for a Nat20 Product? We figured that since the entire site is pretty much an ad for Nat20 stuff, the banner ads were not helping sales too much, and they just meant Russ could sell fewer slots to people the banners would help more. Which kinda sucks, because we had some cool banners way back when. :)

Feels really weird to say this, but.... I think bringing back the banner ads for Natural 20 press might be a good idea. Gods know, this is one of the few sites where I routinely take a peak at what the banners lead to....

The Auld Grump

Warden

First Post
I believe one of the biggest issues is that only a small number of people know two things about the PDF market:

1. That is exists.
2. The quality of product that can be produced.

When I got the assignment to write Mazes for Emerald Press, none of my gaming buddies knew anything about this market -- if they didn't find it in a bookstore or hobby shop, it didn't exist. Perhaps this is one of the biggest issues and there are a lot of people out there who could use these resources. I have a old buddy of mine from the Canadian Forces who says that military guys role-play like nothing else -- only a war will stop some of these games from taking place!!!

The ads in Dragon/Dungeon are good but perhaps there needs to be a free sampler available for potential consumers to own. Advertise a free collection of materials from any of the PDF publishers who are willing to pitch in and let the consumers find out for themselves. List the types of materials that are available and make them believe that they are being given access to supplements and adventures that are easier and cheaper to obtain than buying print products at a gaming shop and that these products are given the same treatment as any print product. Since ads are being placed in the big magazines already, change them around for this cause and see what happens. My own research is telling me that PDFs are sitting in the far corner and no one is paying any attention to them...yet.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Warden: Thus the current "recruitment" drive @ RPGnow. They have flyers you can download and bring to your local game store to show off the wonders of e-publishing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, here goes:

Tournaments, Fairs & Taverns -- 1071
The Elements of Magic -- 822
WIld Spellcraft -- 700
Four-Color to Fantasy -- 530
In the Saddle: Horses & Other Mounts -- 357
The Complete Guide to Drow -- 303
Moon Elves -- 294
Death: Guardian at the Gate -- 231
Dweomercraft: Enchanters -- 188

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Crothian said:
Has hadding books like Wild Spellcraft in print form hurt the sales of the pdf any?

WS is the only Nat20 book so far to go to print, and that happened long after the PDF sales had "dried up". So, I'd guess not; but I couldn't guess whether it would have an effect if the two versions were released closer together.

I have seen "I'd rather wait for the print version" threads here and there, so I imagine there is *some* effect if the existence of a print version is known in advance.

Nine Hands

Explorer
I must say that I purchase LOTS of PDFs. I have bought stuff from Ambient, Nat 20, Throwing Dice Games, Silver Thorne Games, Malhavoc Press, etc.

Overall I have been very pleased with my purchases thus far. The quality is usually high and I can use most of the material in my campaign without too many changes.

Price wise, I try not to spend more than 5-6 bucks for a book, obviously a larger book will get more money and if the company producing the book has done a good job in the past, I am willing to pay a little extra.

I would like to see the PDF industry be more involved with the developers of PCGen to get some of thier info into the books. Heck, you could bundle the PCGen or E-tools files into the ZIP file you send out with the PDFs. To me, I have to purchase a book and then spend a good amount of my time coding the data (in this case The Book of Templates from Silverthorne games).

These types of tie ins are what can drive the sales of PDFs. If you can get a copy of a decent book with support for the major character generators (PCGen, E-tools, RPM, etc). That might be a good selling point. I know that I would be willing to lay down my money if I can get off the shelf computer support.

Remove ads