RPM: Beta features update

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Luke said:

The "replaces" would worry me most with an example such as the shaman in the Storm Giant village. Whilst the adults typically run around with 19 HD, the "shaman", with 2 levels of cleric, would be 2 HD!! Just doesn't sound right. Seems like maybe the shaman could have 17HD of racial levels, and 2 of Cleric??

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be a 19HD Giant with 2 levels of Cleric? Atleast that's how i read the rules.

"Replaces" should only work for 1-HD creatures.

I'm curous how the fiendish/halfdragon/vampire would work in RPM...

Luke

Explorer
Cergorach said:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be a 19HD Giant with 2 levels of Cleric? Atleast that's how i read the rules.
"Replaces" should only work for 1-HD creatures.
I'm not sure it really matters. This is the way RPM works by default, though the D20/D&D system allows you advance as you wish, and pretty much do what you want.
I think the main point is that when you create characters, every player is put on an even level (ie. CR=1), so you sacrifice a race level to get your class level. Really, nothing stops you from being a first level character with 1HD in some race (assuming that there aren't some very special abilities that effectively give you a CR > 1 ).
From a game mechanics point of view, when I look at the D20 game system in general, and the PHB specifically, I get the feeling that the PHB was done in a style that gave you an easier transition from 2nd edition D&D, whereas the generic D20 system paints a more complete picture.
A recent main page news item detailed an interview with Monte Cooke on the origins of 3rd ed, and asked what he might do differently, given the chance to start again. Most of the answer centered around the point that he was surprised how well the community took to the fundamental changes that were introduced. To my mind, the PHB was first off the shelf, and by the time we get to the DMG, you can already see the evolution. I suspect that, were we to start again, you wouldn't even see the "standard races restriction" for player characters !!!

I'm curous how the fiendish/halfdragon/vampire would work in RPM...
Very well. You can choose multiple templates now. The templates appear in the Races screen (with abilities, skills, items (phylactory for Lich?)) etc, and RPM just adds them up together, much as it does for the abilities of multi-class characters.
Lycanthrop is a bit of a pain, where you effectively need a SubRace, as you get with your normal race.
All these are quite do-able, with time being the most precious commodity. I've only got "half-celestial" decently coded up/configured so far...

Luke

Explorer
Private release

Cergorach said:
Hmmm... Me want! Me Want! ;-)
So Luke, when might we 'play' with your version of RPM?
Okay. I'll tidy it up and make it available to you (and a couple of others) by tomorrow.

Are there 2 different Cergoraches? Which is your e-mail?

Regards,

noisulli

First Post
Saving data before applying updates

The only problem I found with applying your updates was that all the information I had started to add into the database and any new monsters I had added to the database was overwriten and lost couldnt there be some way to merge the new files with the currently existing old files?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
OK, I'm going at it again.

* Feats: The interface is nice, and I like it when it tells me I'm out of feats but lets me add them anyway. I'd like it much better if it only told me I was out of feats when I actually was - a human Ftr1 should have 3 feats.
* When leveling a human Ftr from 1st to 2nd, it listed all skills as exclusive skills.
* Important suggestion: multiples of items. It's not bad to add a week's rations by clicking 7 times, but what if I had more? What about the scholar with 100 sheets of parchment?
* Initiative, saves, and skills don't have "+" (Jump 5 instead of +5)
* Artisan's tools aren't differentiated and don't provide a bonus
* I'm having trouble refereshing the data - the skills are correct on the Skills tab, but not on the stat block (I changed them) - and pressing "Refresh data" doesn't do anything for that. On the Skills tab, I pressed "post edit" and "refresh data", but to no avail.
* Gold isn't included in the total weight carried, AFAIK - important when you have 1,000 gp weighing 20 pounds
* There's no way to add coins of other types (that I can see) - important for level 1 characters
* Is there a way to hide the automatic feats in the stat block?

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
CRGreathouse said:

* Important suggestion: multiples of items. It's not bad to add a week's rations by clicking 7 times, but what if I had more? What about the scholar with 100 sheets of parchment?

Try this:
In the items Tab in the Creatures Screen, select on the items Qty and fill in the quantity, ce simple ;-)

Remove ads