• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPM update: Random dungeons, internet voice, fan group, sale, and other features

Luke

Explorer
Its been almost a month since the last RPM update, and I've been busy with a bunch of new features and improvements.

New yahoo fan site
Firstly, some guys have started a new RPM yahoo fan site , for sharing ideas, and RPM export files that they've created.
I've no official capacity there, and like that, since this group is a free and independant community initiative.
There are rules concerned with copyright material, and I ask that they be respected.
There's a lot of good open game content available out there, and this should be a great and easy way for people to create and share their material.

Discount sale on registrations
I'm currently running a 20% discount sale on RPM registrations, should you choose to support further RPM development efforts, and get the most of everything available.

New Features
- Firstly, I've created a new random dungeon generator - styled after the efforts of the "Generator King" - Jamis Buck. You have lots of options for sizes, levels, colours, and limited editing, which you can then import into an RPM adventure, and do further editing.
This is certainly quite usable, and great fun, just as it is, but I plan on much greater control, editing capabilities, and flexible use of generator selections. On-going work on this will be prioritised according to community interest.
I'm hoping that there's interest in been able to select different types of generators for different types of dungeons (types of creatures, rooms, and features). Creative option choices (particularly with colors and path editing), could just as easily generate an elven forest city, as an underground dungeon crawl.

- Next, I've started to tackle the networked gaming issue at the most difficult end - getting decent internet voice capability to work. This seems very important to me anyway, though I may be ignorant of just how successfully people do play, with just text chat for communication. Much more is planned in this area, but I'm keen on feedback from people on the voice quality of whats already available. If sufficient interest is there, I'll outlay to get get full voice quality with conference capability working. The "player map with reveal" and other features will follow, but first I'd like to solve the more difficult issues, and see exactly how well we can aim at the best possible internet experience.
For now the text chat and basic single client voice is there, in case somebody in the group can't personally make it to the game one night (no baby sitter?), or if you just want to chat to other RPM users. I find that the built-in mike and speakers in my own laptop give great "round table" sound pickup and relay.
Once again, if the interest is there, I could look into a web service for an on-line directory of logged on RPM servers.

General improvements and fixes
- There's been a significant restructure of how characters/creatures are created and ReCalculated (eg if you change the race, or do later templating). This is not only for speed, but also fits in much better for generators, and encounter generation editing.

---------------
Some of the more visual changes include:

- Automatic equipment generation is back in (according to monster manual stats).

- Statblocks now show a full breakdown of modifiers for skills. Naturally, they adjust according to currently equipped magic, and other conditions.

- RPM now stores the fundamental rolls for hit points, which means that on-going Con changes can correctly reflect the base hit points.

- Natural weapons are now included in appropriate equipment lists, so that you can easily apply feats such as weapon focus in any appropriate cases.

- Weapons now have a "Proficiency name" which groups equipment together appropriately for feats such as weapon proficiency or focus. So now the different mighty composite bows (+1/+2 etc), are all considered the same, as are the different types of longsword (eg. longsword, Flame Tongue, or Nine Lives Stealer).

- You can now equip double weapons in both your primary and off-hands, to get the extra attack (with all rules appropriately worked out). Other issues to do with number of hands used, extra strength bonuses etc, were also fixed.

- Plenty of new items have been entered (gems, dungeon features, art etc) - primarily for generators.
Expect much more in this area, including permission from Johnn Four (GM Mastery, www.roleplayingtips.com - all recommended) to include his tables for excellent NPC traits generation.
On this area, I can recommend bringing up the "Generators (Table)", and typing "mag" to bring up the "Magic Shop" generator. Generate a complete magic shop (1000 items?), and then try fiddling with the generator definition, to play with the item breakdown chances (chances for potions, magic weapons, common wondrous, rare wondrous etc). When you realize this can be done for classes, races, sci-fi, and any manner of RPG object, you may start to get the picture of where this is all headed ;)

- More screen adjustments, as appropriate, such as with the Character/Creature window. This includes some compression of the actual statblock, and better general layout.

- Almost all editors now have a "Copy" button to copy and modify a current entry (spells, classes, feats etc). It seems that people are starting to get seriously into creating and entering their own material, as I got this type request from several different individuals in the last couple of weeks. I suspect they're meeting on the unofficial group, and "ganging up on me" ;)

----------------------------
There's currently a small army of RPM fans working on various areas, from tutorials through to data editing. I'd like to that them for their efforts, and hope to bring you the results soon.

Regards,

Last edited:

Luke

Explorer
Internet voice capabilities

I've had a couple of suggestions already that I should proceed with haste to do networked mapping, without getting too fussed about internet voice capabilities.

It seems that there may be a decent demand to have a player map (with "reveal" features) even with 2 computers at the gaming table - one for the DM, and one for the players to view their map, position their characters, and do all the other little extras.

I really should have been more aware of that need, and it seems like a good idea. Either way, full commitment to high quality conferenced voice over slow modem dialups is a serious undertaking. I'm pretty keen to work out how high the demand for this would be...

Regards,

Luke

Explorer
Re: Internet voice capabilities

The bug hunters are quick, and I've decided that a very tiny mini update needs to be made available.

The 2 bugs were:

- When a weapon is equipped as a double weapon (eg dwarven urgosh), the off-hand wasn't been treated as a light weapon.

- When you did a ReCalculate (significantly restructured for speed and other reasons in this release), the effects of equipped items weren't taken into account.

A tiny, miniscule update file of 54k is available here

These issues were fixed with about 10 changed lines of RPM script code, from the main rules file.
Since many are now looking at house rules, and campaign extensions, its a good time to point out that virtually everything in RPM is open, and rules can be changed even whilst running RPM.
In fact, aside from modifying the user interface of RPM, I do about 90% of my update work inside RPM itself these days, just as any RPM user could.

Regards,

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
I noticed the zip file contains the whole directory structure of where the setup file was. Might be worth making a new zip with just the file you need.

Luke

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
I noticed the zip file contains the whole directory structure of where the setup file was. Might be worth making a new zip with just the file you need.

Do you mean just the mini-update file (rpm_miniupdate.zip)?
It doesn't seem to have any path info in it.

Remove ads