RttToEE not tough enough?

EOL

First Post
I have to agree with the others if you think RttToEE is too easy you must be on something, it's a meat grinder. Course I had a fairly sadistic DM to begin with...

Bandito

First Post
My players are not finding it easy at all, and across the board they all have rather nice stats and are starting to pile up the levels and magical goodies. Our most powerful PC died two sessions ago. He is a Fighter3/Psychic Warrior2 and he has a homebrew psionic feat that mimics the barbarian's rage. When going all out his attack with a greataxe is 1d20+10, 1d12+7 damage, and that is without the bless spell and the bard's song. He also has the cleave feat. He died in the early going in the temple by wading in against a horde of hobgoblins and Rarkus.

Tactics and a little foul luck did him in. The module, even in the "easier parts" is a killer. Thankfully for him there is the Raise Dead spell.

Cheers

RK

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
The party is now 9th level, and I'm not saying it is a cake walk, I've killed 8 PC's. I think the posters who pointed out that the adventure is written for 4 PC's not 6 have pretty much defined my problem. I think I'll take the "lowering the starting level" advice to heart next time I run a module. I certianly don't want to tell people they can't play becuase they could over load the module.

I have been adjusting stats and magical items on most NPC's and adding a level of fighter or two to the cannon fodder (gnolls, ogres, etc). I have been reading ahead and I think that everything will work itself out once they hit the outer fane, it starts to get really tough there.

Thanks for the input.

Dirge

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Thr group I'm with has been playing RttToEE since Novemeber or so, and we usually have around 6 characters with us, sometimes as many as 8 (depending on when players can make it and so on). It's been quite the challenege for all of us, with many PC deaths (I myself have lost 2 characters to it, a Psion and a Psychic Warrior, both were 5th level). Our average party level is 5-6, though one of the characters is an 8th-level Sorcerer (he's also CE, but that's another story). And so far, we've always been challeneged...

Mixmaster

Explorer
"The party is now 9th level, and I'm not saying it is a cake walk"

You started the thread "RttToEE not tough enough?" But seriously, you didn't answer if they had started at 4th level.

I've read it a few times, and wonder if starting them at that level is a good idea. I mean, come on
a dragon at the moathouse??

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
BLACKDIRGE said:
The party is now 9th level, and I'm not saying it is a cake walk, I've killed 8 PC's. I think the posters who pointed out that the adventure is written for 4 PC's not 6 have pretty much defined my problem. I think I'll take the "lowering the starting level" advice to heart next time I run a module. I certianly don't want to tell people they can't play becuase they could over load the module.

I have been adjusting stats and magical items on most NPC's and adding a level of fighter or two to the cannon fodder (gnolls, ogres, etc). I have been reading ahead and I think that everything will work itself out once they hit the outer fane, it starts to get really tough there.

Thanks for the input.

Dirge

Okay, I can see where your coming from, yeah next time drop the party level, 1 level for every 2 people above 4 like I posted earlier seems to work best.

Now with your current problem, do the ol'bump up.
+10 hp, +1BAB, +1 damage on attacks and +1 on all saves for monsters.
This is an easy way to beef up the baddies if you find them getting overrun.
I'ts just a quick and dirty system.
you can do this multiple times to really beef up a weak monster, it's an easy thing to do even when there aren't to many players but they end up going to a location they missed eariler that would be way to easy now.
Every time you do the ol'bump quick up bonus to a monster consider it about 1 CR stronger (level 6 or lower party), 1/2 CR stronger (vs level 7-12 party), 1/4th CR stronger (level 13-20 party)
So if it's a like a level 7 party and you need to beef up a gnoll or something just give him +40hp, +4BAB, +4 damage, and +4 on his saves and give his CR a +2 (for exp porposes).
It's not the real way of doing it, but it's easier then adding "real" class levels where you have to figure out all kinds of crap, like feats, spells, powers, but it keeps the party on it's toes.

We are deep in the CRM, and we have between 6 - 8 players in our party. Our GM is doing an excellent job of increasing the difficulty level of our opponents based on our non-standard (ok, 2x as big) party - and so far I've replaced my characer twice.

It's all in how you use the NPC's - Rob, our GM, does an excellent job of using magic against us in an smart way - we fear NPC casters! Also, we have stayed alive as long as we have by attacking and then running away as fast as possible, keeping on the move.

We have developed a great camp method - we find a quiet section of the dungeon, cast illusionary wall to shave a corner off a dead-end, and then rope-trick inside the hidden area. This helps minimize random encounters and lets us rest to recharge our spells. Right now we are feeling rather trapped - we want to get OUT of the CRM but can't seem to make our way to an exit... just finally found one to our HUGE relief. Now the debate is how long we can spend away from the dungeon - do we press on despite needing equipment and supplies or do we take a week or more to travel to a mjor city and prepare? Big dilemma!

Not to hijack this thread, but "Thanks!"

When I was little (I dunno - 12? 13?) I used to surf BBS's and needed a handle... I had just re-read The Hobbit, and it just came to me. Used it a lot, BBS's sorta faded away with the advent of the 'net, and I went off to college. Now, one heck of a long time later, the name just came back to me.

I still remember my favorite BBS: Temple of the Screaming Electron. I'd be surprised if it rings a bell with anybody.

I do know i read really fast, since I started at 300 baud, then learned to skim text at 1200 baud, then 2400 baud... 9600 baud is too fast to do much but catch key words, and 56k is a real stretch... :)

- Billboard Baggins

Hejdun

First Post
Well duh...

Gee, no duh it's going to be easy. You are going with a party 2 too, and playing with pretty powerful character.

And, the +8 total bonus from stats is pretty beefy, if you ask me.

Remove ads