Rule question BURST

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
No, all bursts have range, and, essentially though not exactly, a close burst has zero range. A blast is a burst that must have an edge adjacent to the caster.

Verys Arkon

First Post
I'll add some figures to illustrate Bursts and Blasts to the next version of the pre-release rules compilation, based off this thread.

so if I understand it right

the blast is easy, Blast*N means a square of N*N ok no problem, only must touch originator

btw blast is the new cone
infact in the 2 page spread of mage spell we got "Blast of Cold" a quite wide 5x5 blast of cold

the burst is a little more tricky since it measure the distance from the origin of the blast

the origin is the creature for close burst and the target square for ranged burst

so the two 1st level Wizard spell are quite nice :)

and also the 13th level Prismatit Burst seem more clear on this since you lob a ball into a target square and since its burst 2 it means it cover a 5x5 area centered on the target square

and the magical staff that once a day increase the burst by 1 is very effective even at low levels

ok I get it

ps: thank for the dragon size :)

HeinorNY

First Post
BarbJebez said:
A blast is just a burst at range.

While a burst is centered on the caster, a blast is centered on whatever target square the caster chooses (based on targeting restrictions).
I don't think that's quite correct.
I believe this is right:
Code:
Close Burst 2 (C = Caster)
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X C X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

Burst 2 Within Y (the center of the burst must be within Y from the caster)
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

Blast 2
  X X
C X X

or

C
  X X
  X X

Sir Brennen

Legend
ainatan said:
I don't think that's quite correct.
I believe this is right:
Code:
Close Burst 2 (C = Caster)
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X C X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
But how do you think a close burst for a Large creature would be handled? As per catsclaw227's example, or would it still be centered on a single square, selected from one of the squares the large creature occupies?

Sir Brennen said:
But how do you think a close burst for a Large creature would be handled? As per catsclaw227's example, or would it still be centered on a single square, selected from one of the squares the large creature occupies?

I would go (and only for close burst) for the burst being centered on the total creature size, like

Code:
OOOOOOOOOOO
OOOXXXXXXOO
OOOXXXXXXOO
OOOXXCCXXOO
OOOXXCCXXOO
OOOXXXXXXOO
OOOXXXXXXOO
OOOOOOOOOOO

Verys Arkon

First Post
Burst text has been updated in the PrRC v1.3.1 now available. Thanks for the discussion in this thread for the clarified text.

I'll keep an eye here for more details, and illustrations will come with the next major revision.

Cheers,
Verys.

Remove ads