Rule question BURST

frankthedm

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
I'll add some figures to illustrate Bursts and Blasts to the next version of the pre-release rules compilation, based off this thread.
Good idea...

Hmm, seems like there is a tiny bit of wiggle room, at least as far as the DDM rulebook concerns large creatures with close bursts

Attachments

• DDM discrepancy.GIF
    DDM discrepancy.GIF
    45.6 KB · Views: 231

Sir Brennen

Legend
frankthedm said:
Hmm, seems like there is a tiny bit of wiggle room, at least as far as the DDM rulebook concerns large creatures with close bursts
Looks pretty clear to me that the close burst (light purple region) is 2 squares away from each "face" of the area the creature occupies. Makes sense. What's up with the "?" in that image, though?

So a close burst is (N+W) squared, where N is the number of squares indicated in the burst description, and W is the width of the creature in squares. A ranged burst is always (N+1) squared. A blast looks to be just a ranged burst that must have an edge of its effect adjacent to the caster.

Dang. So much for my 60 bucks worth of Steel Squire effects templates...

HeinorNY

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
But how do you think a close burst for a Large creature would be handled? As per catsclaw227's example, or would it still be centered on a single square, selected from one of the squares the large creature occupies?
As per catsclaw227 I think. Otherwise, the large creature would hurt itself.
Imagine a Large caster casting a Close Burst 1 spell:

X X X
X C C
X C C

Large casters affect more targets with close burst spells.

X X X X
X C C X
X C C X
X X X X

Nebulous

Legend
Ferret said:
If a burst is cast over a larger opponent, does it take damage for all the squares it occupies?

I doubt it, but i'm not sure. That sounds like an exploitable damage potential right there.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Bursts and Blasts

Are these correct, before I add them to the PrRC?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• burst.jpg
    burst.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 1,129
  • blast-and-ranged-burst-sm.jpg
    blast-and-ranged-burst-sm.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,008

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads