Rules compendium v Essentials DM kit

Arbanax

First Post
Hi all

I'm hoping someone whose gotten a look at both the Rules Compendium and the Essentials DM kit can tell us if these two over lap over each other.

What does the DM kit have that is new from the previous DMG's, besides errata and would you recommend this together with the compendium or choose 1 of either only?

I think those of us who are undecided about which (if any) to buy would love to know more from those in the know.

Thanks

Ab

I'm hoping someone whose gotten a look at both the Rules Compendium and the Essentials DM kit can tell us if these two over lap over each other.

What does the DM kit have that is new from the previous DMG's, besides errata and would you recommend this together with the compendium or choose 1 of either only?

Well, I don't yet have either book (although both are on my wishlist), but my impression is that Rules Compendium has all the "crunch", I mean the actual rules of the game to be used and referenced in the table, while the DM kit has a lot of the DMing advice and tools that came with the previous DMGs

As to which to buy, apparently WotC is aiming the Rules Compendium as a "must have" for players and DMs alike, while the DM kit is only for those who want to run a table.

Of course, as I said before, all this is baseless speculation...

nnms

First Post
The DM Kit has a lot of how to DM advice. The exact same super awesome stuff that's in the DMG and DMG2. If you don't have those books, the DM Kit is a fabulous buy.

The Rules Compendium does have everything you need to play. It has encounter design rules and the like.

What you'll be missing:
  • Monster stats -- the DM Kit has some, the Monster Vault will have more. The Monster Manual 3 is awesome. One month of DDI gets you the monster builder with all published monsters to date
  • Traps -- the Rules Compendium tells you about them and explains how they work, but there's only one actual stat block
  • Diseases -- as traps
  • Quests -- The Rules Comependium talks about them and then says to check out the DM Kit for advice on constructing them
  • Magic Items -- again, the rules are there, but the individual statblocks are not. The DDI compendium and Character Builder has all previously released items in it, but that would require a subscription. So if you subscribe, make sure to grab the Character Builder and update it as well as the Adventure Tools Monster Builder.

I'm on the fence about getting the DM Kit and Monster Vault. I really like miniatures and don't see the value in the tokens. I though I was going to love them, but playing with the Red Box has shown me that a miniature standing up is easier to see and distinguish from all places around the table. I may put the tokens into card stands and effectively turn them into miniature flats. The problem with that is that they often have a different monster on the back.

Arbanax

First Post
Thanks for the replies, I only ask as I've got the three core books and have been thinking about getting the rest at some point. I have plumbed for the DDI sub for a month and gotten all up to date and am currently running a modified version of the scales of war. But with new stuff coming out fully errated, I did wonder if I cut DMG2 and just go for the compendium and or the DM kit or both.

I'm with you on tokens, I print out my own card minis and put them on round basis and go with them from there.

Thanks for the comments peeps.

Ab

nnms

First Post
If you want a rules reference at the table, the compendium is great. Otherwise, you could just stick with the core three books + errata/updates.

The DM Kit does come with an updated DM screen, if you're into DM screens.

I'm waiting for reviews on the adventures in the DM Kit as well as info as to what poster maps it comes with (I *love* poster maps). If the adventures are good and the poster maps are good, I'll buy it just for those. I bought The Slaying Stone and Orcs of Stonefang Pass for $15 each for the adventure and poster map, so why not get 2 and a DM booklet and some monster stats for $40?

But if the maps are just reprints of maps I already have and if the adventures turn out to be not great, I'll give it a pass.

I'm about half-way through my front-to back reading of the Rules Compendium. (I'm a dad with a career, these things take longer than they used to!)

IMHO, everyone who plays D&D 4E should own the Rules Compendium. I'm very impressed with it. The organization, writing, quality of materials and design, everything is very good.

I've used it to run several games since it was released, and I've now removed my PHBs and DMGs from my DM kit in favor of the RC.

Except for the first two chapters that describe D&D, the points of light setting, and a few example traps monsters, powers, etc., it is all game mechanics. Checks, skills, combat, exploration, ...

If you are running a game you will need the DM Kit and Monster book to build your own adventures if you don't already own the DMGs and MMIII. You can probably do without if you are running published adventures. I'm running D&D Encounters tables with just the RC now.

You will need one of the Heroes books to create players. The RC has character creation mechanics, but none of the racial trait, class feature, feat, or power descriptions.

Last edited:

Remove ads