• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Rules for Firearms in 4e - what do you use?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I'm planning on running a game in the near future in which one of the players, and possibly some of the NPCs and/or enemies will be using gunpowder weapons.

I've searched here and there around the online 4e blogs and such, and have found some 4e firearms rules I liked, and some I didn't. I picked-and-chose the things I liked and came up with something resembling houserules I'm happy with.

That said, I wanted to ask around to see what others are using. What works? What doesn't? I'm looking for people with playtest feedback here, I'm less interested in the theoretical. I know the ins & outs of 4e theorycraft well enough to make those kinds of predictions (ZOMG BR0KEN!!!!11 or meh, weaksauce), but enough experience to know that sometimes what it looks like on paper and what happens in-game are two totally different things.

I will start by saying that they are absolutely going to be Superior weapons, requiring a feat to use. In my campaign they are rare, expensive and somewhat realistic in that I'm leaning toward slow ROF, crappy range, and poor accuracy, but high damage.

We're looking at smooth bores (rifling has not been discovered yet, or if it has, the dwarves are keeping it secret), flintlock firing mechanism (for relative simplicity and usability), and good ol' gunpowder with lead balls for shot.

In this campaign guns and magic do not mix.

I will post what I came up with after I see some other things I haven't seen before.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you click over to the articles section, there's an article called "Firearms of the High Seas". It was written for pirates (to accompany the Pirate of the High Seas theme), but features a whole load of firearms which you could use elsewhere.

Also, we're just about to add the first in a series of "Wild West" style articles - gunslingers and the like.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for (for example, we are including some magical firearms as well as mundane ones) but worth a look.

drackcove

Explorer
I use a different system than most for firearms. Rather than weapons I make them Wonderous Items with encounter powers. Example:

Ivory Pistol Lvl 6 uncommon Wonderous Item
Standard(Encounter): Ranged 10 Attack level +5 attack vs reflex Hit 3d10 (or on a critical hit 3d10+2d6+30)

or

Rifle Of The Artificer Lord Lvl 11 rare Wonderous Item
Property: You can treat this weapon as an implement with a +3 enhancement bonus and deals 3d6 lightning thunder damage on a critical hit
Standard(encounter) Ranged 20 Attack level +5 vs reflex Hit 3d12 Lightning damage (or on a critical hit 3d12+3d6+36)
Standard(daily) Area burst 2 in 10 Attack Level +5 vs fortitude Hit 1d12 Thunder damage (or 1d12thunder+3d6+12 on a critical hit) and the target is knocked prone

interwyrm

First Post
In fantasy settings, I think firearms are best used as a one-shot (per encounter) item. Your swashbuckler fires off a pistol and then draws a sword to engage the enemy.

Any kind of repeating firearm is far too modern to me, and multiple-round reloads are just too clunky.

I like Drackcove's suggestions. I think alchemical items could also work well as ammo, and the firearm could be a wondrous item that replaces the attack roll.

For example:

Large bore cannon
Lvl 1 uncommon Wonderous Item
Free action(Encounter):
Trigger: You use a consumable alchemical item with an attack roll
Effect: Replace the attack roll with "dexterity + 1" (versus the same defense) and replace the range with 10.

Last edited:

well it depends on what I am going for on feel.

In my 4e game based on urban arcana type setting (imagin the basic harry dresden world, but with some Angle, and some OWOD thrown in) PCs started with guns based on crossbows, and got 'magic' non magic guns that had bursts and blasts and such...

In my short lived pirate game I tried the rules from here, but it fail (The game not those rules)

right now I have my own world being built with musketeers in it, so I have the following house rules in it
[sblock=my home brew]Feats:

Deadly Firearms
Prerequisite: 11th level
Benefit: all firearms work as a high crit weapon.

Firearms Expertise
Benefit: You gain a +1 to hit with all firearms, this increase to +2 at 11th level, and +3 at 21st level.
Special: You do not provoke opp attacks from the target of any of your ranged attacks with guns

Hurried Reload
Prerequisite: Dexterity 13, proficiency with a firearm.
Benefit: Once per encounter you can reload a flintlock as a move action instead of a standard
action.
Special: at 11th level increase this to twice per encounter, and at 21st level increase to three times per encounter

Maverick
Prerequisite: Proficiency with a firearm, sneak attack class feature.
Benefit: You may choose to apply your sneak attack damage to successful
attacks made with firearm weapons

Mystic gunslinger
Prerequisite: Mystic shots, Immortal Origin, and warlock curse feature.
Benefit: You can apply your warlocks curse to any target you have hit with a basic attack with a pistol as a minor action.

Mystic Shots
Prerequisite: Immortal Origin
Benefit: You may treat a pistol as a rod for the purpose of casting.

Two Gun Kid
Prerequisite: 11th level Proficient with pistols
Benefit: When you wield two pistols of the same type you may reload them both as part of the same action.

Weapons:

Flint lock pistol Simple Weapon One handed 15 gp
+2 prof range 10/20 2d6 brutal 1 load standard

A simple firearm that you carry cartages, rip them open, drop them down the barrel, and ram it in place, then place a cap on the hammer, pull back the hammer, and fire.

Flint Lock Musket Military Weapon Two Handed 20 gp
+2 prof range 20/40 2d8 brutal 1 load standard

A simple firearm that you carry cartages, rip them open, drop them down the barrel, and ram it in place, then place a cap on the hammer, pull back the hammer, and fire.

Blunderbuss Military Weapon Two handed 25 gp
+2 prof range 5/10 2d10 brutal 2 load standard

Pepper box pistol Military Weapon One handed 25 gp
+2 prof 1d8 range 10/20 brutal 1 4 shots reload short rest

A slightly more complex gun, the barrels are removed, loaded with the cap, and cartridge, then set back in the gun. When you fire the gun you can re pull the hammer, and turn to the next barrel without much effort though.

Pepper box Musket Military Weapon Two handed 35 gp
+2 prof 1d10 range 15/30 brutal 2 5 shots reload short rest

A slightly more complex gun, the barrels are removed, loaded with the cap, and cartridge, then set back in the gun. When you fire the gun you can re pull the hammer, and turn to the next barrel without much effort though.

Rifle Superior weapon two handed 35 gp
+3 prof 3d4 range 20/40 brutal 1 reload minor

A much more complex gun, the barrel opens and cartage and cap are placed in, then slammed shut. It takes a quick hand, and a trained eye to properly use this system, however it allows the rifling of the barrel to make it much more accurate at range.

Alchemy:

Cartages and caps are both made from an alchemy formula for dark powder… it costs

Cartridge and Caps
Ammo for firearms
Level: 1
Price: 20 gp
Alchemical Item
This produces 20 shots

Enchantments:

Rifle of Accuracy Level 2+ Common
This weapon contains special counterweights to help keep it steady while aiming.
Lvl 2 +1 520 gp Lvl 17 +4 65,000 gp
Lvl 7 +2 2,600 gp Lvl 22 +5 325,000 gp
Lvl 12 +3 13,000 gp Lvl 27 +6 1,625,000 gp
Weapon: Any musket or rifle.
Enhancement: Attack and damage rolls.
Critical: +1d8 damage per plus
Property: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against targets that are 10 squares away
or further.

Gatling gun Level 7+
This weapon contains special counterweights to help keep it steady while aiming.
Lvl 7 +2 2,600
Lvl 12 +3 13,000 gp gp
Lvl 17 +4 65,000 gp
Lvl 22 +5 325,000 gp
Lvl 27 +6 1,625,000 gp
Weapon: Any firearm
Enhancement: Attack and damage rolls.
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus, and a free basic attack
Property: You never need to reload this firearm
At will: (standard action)Make a basic attack against all targets within a burst 1 within 10.
Encounter (standard action) make 1d4 basic attacks against 1 target
Daily (Free action) add 2[w] to an at will damage roll

Quick draw holsters Level 7+ uncommon
This leather pistol holder fits on a belt, and make you fast…and deadly with a pistol.
Lvl 7 2,600 gp
Lvl 17 65,000 gp
Lvl 27 1,625,000 gp
Wondrous Item
Property: You gain a +2 bonus to Insight, and Intimidate.
Lvl 17 +4
Lvl 27 +6
Property: You gain a +1 to initiative
Lvl 17 +2
Lvl 27 +3
Property: when you free action drop a pistol, it will automatically return to the holster.
Daily (No action), if you are surprised in a surprise round, you may draw your gun, and make a ranged basic attack with it at a -2 penalty to attack.

Marksmen’s gloves
This leather gloves fit the hands and help aim the shot
Lvl 5
Lvl 15
Lvl 25
Hand slot
Property: add 1d6 to all firearms damage rolls when you have combat advantage
Lvl 15 make it 1d8 instead
Lvl 25 make it 1d10 instead
Daily: (Minor action) add +1 to all firearm attacks before the end of your next turn.

Targeting scope Level 6
This enhancement rest on a firearm, and allows you a better shot at distance
Lvl 6
Wondrous Item
Encounter (minor action) reduce any penalties for range, cover or concealment by half.

Targeting goggles Level 15
These lens fit over the eyes and help adjust for range and conditions when attacking with ranged attacks.
Lvl 15
Head slot
Property: Increase the range of all ranged attacks by 2
Encounter (Standard action) Choose one target within 15 sqs, until the end of the encounter when you make ranged attacks against the target you may roll 2d20 and take either result
Encounter (Free action) if you choose to use the lower of the 2d20 you rolled against your chosen target you may use this free action to count that attack as a critical hit.

Speed Loader Level 7
This mystical charm reloads pepper boxes at blinding speeds
Lvl 7 2,600 gp
Wondrous Item
Daily: (Standard action) reload 1 pepper box as if you just took a short rest with it.

Tracer round
This green round trails a bright pennant, flagging its target.
Level: 2
Price: 25 gp
Firearm Ammunition
Enhancement: +1 attack rolls and damage rolls

Property: When you hit an enemy with an attack using this ammunition, each ally that can see that enemy gains a +1 item bonus to attack rolls against it until the end of your next turn.

Incendiary round
The fiery iron of this bullet seems to shimmer with heat.
Level: 3
Price: 30 gp
Firearm Ammunition

Property: When you hit an enemy using this ammunition, that enemy and each creature adjacent to it take 1d6 extra fire damage.

Buck Shot round
This bullet is loaded with dozens of little bullets.
Level: 3
Price: 30 gp
Blunderbuss Ammunition

Property: When you make an attack with this ammunition you may make it at close blast 2 instead of ranged if you would like.

Seeker powers:

Loaded with Bear Seeker Attack 1
You call apon the spirits of the bear to add power to your shot
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC

Argent Agony Seeker Attack 7
The spirits make any weapon you fire into just the right attack
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[w}+1d8+Wis mod. If the target is vulnerable to any damage types, your attack instead deals damage of that type. If the target has more than one vulnerability, you choose which damage type to deal.

Musketeer windage Seeker Utility 16
You correct your aim from a missed shot to insure your next hits
Requirements: must use a firearm
Target: self

[/sblock]

BobTheNob

First Post
To the OP. I have seen people say use "superior proficiency" for firearms. Fluff wise, if you are talking early age firearms, its not a great representation. Early firearms were slow to fire, had a poor range and were inaccurate and unreliable. The reason the gun dominated the battlefield was nothing to do with its efficacy, it was totally down to the fact that the common man could use it.

Unlike other weapons of its age (sword, bow) which took years of expensive training to become proficient with, any old peasant could pick up a gun and be effective with little or no training. The advantage of the gun was not that it was better than other weapons of its age, its that it was cheaper and easier to create an effective army.

Under this, firearms would in fact be the exact opposite of your original intention. They would be simple weapons, because anyone can use them.

Purely theoretical though, I dont know how that would fit with what you are trying to achieve. Just interesting fluff is all

To the OP. I have seen people say use "superior proficiency" for firearms. Fluff wise, if you are talking early age firearms, its not a great representation. Early firearms were slow to fire, had a poor range and were inaccurate and unreliable. The reason the gun dominated the battlefield was nothing to do with its efficacy, it was totally down to the fact that the common man could use it.
yea, a lot of people give me grief about the fact that some of my fireamrs are 'simple' most are 'military' and only 1 'sperior'...but being realistic alot more should be simple...

in a movie I think from the 90's there is a great line that I have reused in rpgs alot over the years

combat monkey "Have you ever fired a gun?"
Rp character "No is it hard?"
CM "Have you ever used a camra?"
RPc "Ye why?"
CM "Same idea, point and click"
:lol:

Ryujin

Legend
Bob, it also helped that a .80 calibre lead ball round sailed through plate armour, like a hot knife through yogurt.

Weapon Breakage!

On a 1 they blow up in your face. Area Burst 1 centered on user, user rolls for damage and takes full, other creatures in burst take half, weapon is destroyed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads