OSR Rules Lite: How lite is too lite?

I've been pondering this a lot over the past weeks, and I think it's that getting new toys every level is something that creates a sense of accomplishment and progress. It functions both as lure and a reward to encourage players to keep playing and have something to look forward to that they can see getting closer.
When this element of the game disappears and all you get from new levels is increased passive numbers, then you need something else to take its place as an incentive that goes beyond finishing the one thing the players are currently working on.

For a campaign that focuses on shorter delves into smaller ruins in a larger environment, I think each dungeon should make the players feel that they discovered more pieces to help creating the greater picture, but also that they are still missing many more pieces that will make things even clearer, that are still to be found somewhere out there. This is a campaign and adventure element that exists completely separate from the mechanical parts.
You could use magic items to pick up the slack, basically make levels a small thing and magic items the point of adventuring - this makes it easy to tie rewards to the pace of the game, because loot usually happens at the bottom of the dungeon.

But to do this you need to not use 5e's assumptions about the role magic items play: they must be seen as a core part of the experience and the main way characters grow, not an optional nice-to-have that shouldn't really change the balance of the game.

Yora

Legend
Yes, there's a whole thread about this. I found that starting from a 3rd or 5th edition perspective and trying to adjust that game to become more rules light and get more involved exploration is just the wrong way to approach it.
Starting with OD&D or B/X and adding on those pieces that you feel are missing is much more promising, as you start with a core system tailored to the core concept. Worlds Without Number has developed a very interesting system with that approach. I've seen several people describe it as feeling like B/X with various 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition ideas added to it. It's currently my favorite system.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I would say they are roughly the same.

5e has all sorts of powers and subclasses and bonus actions and whatnots. 2e had weapons speed, dual classing, kits, magic resistance and really particular skill resolutions and old-school saving throws.

The reason why 5e is not more complicated is the more "unified/solid" frame of the game, the d20 mechanism that started in 3e.
Well, 5e has weapon speed modifiers and subclasses if you want to use them.

I think 2e might edge in as being light-er just because the framework is simpler, by which I mean classes aren't bogged down by a need to provide new junk to remember at every level. And since the class structure wasn't as ironclad, it was much easier to create truly novel options, such as wizards who used their spell slots to things other than casting spells.

But, as usual, I'm veering far afield of the thread's point/question.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've been pondering this a lot over the past weeks, and I think it's that getting new toys every level is something that creates a sense of accomplishment and progress. It functions both as lure and a reward to encourage players to keep playing and have something to look forward to that they can see getting closer.
When this element of the game disappears and all you get from new levels is increased passive numbers, then you need something else to take its place as an incentive that goes beyond finishing the one thing the players are currently working on.

For a campaign that focuses on shorter delves into smaller ruins in a larger environment, I think each dungeon should make the players feel that they discovered more pieces to help creating the greater picture, but also that they are still missing many more pieces that will make things even clearer, that are still to be found somewhere out there. This is a campaign and adventure element that exists completely separate from the mechanical parts.

It is a strength of the GLOG that each level does have "something" - it's a bit like a mini-5e in that sense. However, this only applies for the first 4 levels (level 5 characters usually retire, but if you really love the PC you can keep playing them, but you only get a little bit of HP and to-hit each level from now on).

It is also a strength that you can very easily make a GLOG class. For example:

Remove ads