(Rumor) Disney Stars Wars Could Be Removed from Canon (or simply ignored)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Apparently it was Kathleen Kennedy's idea to build Galaxy's Edge in the Sequel era. Business wise it wasn't a bad plan, since you'd imagine getting tons of new fans. And for what its worth, the place itself is pretty era-agnostic, you just need to change out the First Order Storm Troopers and maybe the satellite dish on the Falcon and boom! You can be in a different era. Heck, they started to parade Darth Vader there. The rides themselves are actually pretty popular, regardless of the popularity or not of the movie (Rise of the Resistance is an incredible piece of dark ride technology and I want to ride it one day!). Galaxy's Edge had a rough start but it's actually a success, probably the best thing to come out of the sequel trilogy really.

....the whole massive and spectacular Rise of the Resistance ride, not the mention all the first order stuff ... that wouldn't be easy to re-tool! But I look forward to a day when we can all go to themeparks again without worrying about, you know, dying.

Undrave

Legend
If that's really your opinion, what are you even doing on a forum like this.... ;)

I LIKE canon, but I'm not gonna lose sleep if it changes. I'm also far more likely to just accept 'it's a different continuity' as an excuse and just move on.

Like, people here get bent out of shape because of adding the Magic settings to the 'DnD Multiverse' messes with both 'canon' and I'm just here like "Oh cool, Theros!",

Undrave

Legend
....the whole massive and spectacular Rise of the Resistance ride, not the mention all the first order stuff ... that wouldn't be easy to re-tool! But I look forward to a day when we can all go to themeparks again without worrying about, you know, dying.

I don't think they need to retool Rise of the Resistance. No one's gonna mind except pedantic nerds. They can have whatever walk around characters they want, maybe even doing a daily rotation. You can meet Darth Vader and Kylo Ren on the same day already :p

Snarf Zagyg

I don't think they need to retool Rise of the Resistance.

I agree! That's why I think the whole theory linked-to by the OP is BS.

At this point, more young people are fans of Baby Yoda and Rey than care about fidelity to the movies from the 70s and early 80s, which will probably get warnings slapped on them anyway (caution: May contain distrubing images of proto-incest and slavery, among other problematic issues, not to mention racist stereotypes depicted by aliens and problematic gay stereotypes with C3P0).

Undrave

Legend
I agree! That's why I think the whole theory linked-to by the OP is BS.

At this point, more young people are fans of Baby Yoda and Rey than care about fidelity to the movies from the 70s and early 80s, which will probably get warnings slapped on them anyway (caution: May contain distrubing images of proto-incest and slavery, among other problematic issues, not to mention racist stereotypes depicted by aliens and problematic gay stereotypes with C3P0).

I think it's BS to think Disney would ever come out and say their movies were non-canon... But as a marketing strategy, focusing on stuff like the Mandalorian and ignoring the sequel era? That totally makes sense to me. Just like the MCU totally ignores that one Hulk movie but never went out of its way to expunge it from canon (to say nothing of various retcons over the years). You promote your success and ignore the flubs and move on.

I think the 'non-canon' thing is more of a philosophy for a certain faction from LucasFilms, more than anything else.

And Baby Yoda is popular yes, but Rey? Eeeh... I dunno how much...

Snarf Zagyg

I think it's BS to think Disney would ever come out and say their movies were non-canon... But as a marketing strategy, focusing on stuff like the Mandalorian and ignoring the sequel era? That totally makes sense to me. Just like the MCU totally ignores that one Hulk movie but never went out of its way to expunge it from canon (to say nothing of various retcons over the years). You promote your success and ignore the flubs and move on.

I think the 'non-canon' thing is more of a philosophy for a certain faction from LucasFilms, more than anything else.

And Baby Yoda is popular yes, but Rey? Eeeh... I dunno how much...

These movies that certain elements of the fanbase think are so unpopular? They are:

Nos. 4, 14, and 32 all-time in box office.

TFA is no. 10, all-time adjusted for inflation.

These are incredibly popular movies, even if the last one underperformed. And that's considering that they don't do that well in China.

And from my anecdotal experience, Rey is insanely popular with children and young teens.

Plus Disney has already invested heavily in major theme park attractions based on this. So, I mean, sure. Some mean fanboys on the internet could be right. Or maybe they are completely, 100% totally wrong, like they always are.

ccs

41st lv DM
Beyond lamenting the $ wasted on tickets for the Force & Last (I saw Rise for free - well, I bought the popcorn, but I would've done that for whatever movie we'd seen) I don't really care what they do concerning #7-9.
And since I'm unlikely to ever go to a Disney park I have no real concern what they do with their SW rides.

Undrave

Legend
Oh, and if we're gonna complain about canon, I want to complain that the Ewoks movies were erased too.

These movies that certain elements of the fanbase think are so unpopular? They are:

Nos. 4, 14, and 32 all-time in box office.

TFA is no. 10, all-time adjusted for inflation.

These are incredibly popular movies, even if the last one underperformed. And that's considering that they don't do that well in China.

And from my anecdotal experience, Rey is insanely popular with children and young teens.

Plus Disney has already invested heavily in major theme park attractions based on this. So, I mean, sure. Some mean fanboys on the internet could be right. Or maybe they are completely, 100% totally wrong, like they always are.

James Cameron's Avatar sat at #1 of the box office for a LONG time and yet nobody was collecting Avatar merchandise. Everybody went to see that movie and yet it left almost no footprint on pop culture except blue alien jokes. Box office scores are good (though it depends on how much you spent to begin with, and Star Wars probably has a HUUUUGE marketing budget), especially if you want bragging rights, but my own experience is that sequel merchandise is just a lot of pegwarmers.

But I'm glad kids enjoy Rey! That's good! Kids deserve their own heroes too.

Remove ads