(Rumor) Disney Stars Wars Could Be Removed from Canon (or simply ignored)

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Well again, the article and person they're quoting thinks actually officially de-canonizing the Disney films is unlikely, but that what might happen is they focus on the "Mandaloria era" and thus essentially ignore 7-9. They could then build up different regions of the SW universe and never have to refer to the events of 7-9, even if the timeline advances that far.

That isn't a huge ground-breaking prediction though. They have already said they are hoping to tell other stories in the Star Wars Universe. Many that will not revolve around Jedi, especially of a particular bloodline. What I can't guess at is how much they 'ignore' those newer episodes. That remains to be seen.

auburn2

Adventurer
“And if The Terminator franchise taught us anything it is that the future is not set.”: using a Terminator reference to satisfy unhappy fans is nothing more than pandering.

Espeicially when it is false. The future may not be set, but the past is and Star Wars happened in the past. It happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away to be specific.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I liked Episodes 7-9. I am not a fan of 1-3. I don't think "erasing from canon" is a step they'd take with anything that's actually hit the screen (big or small). I think setting aside the Expanded Universe was actually a good idea. Not that there weren't good stories in there, but having so much canon that the overall mass market isn't familiar with is problematic for storytelling.

If we take for granted for a moment that they are making decisions about what period of Star Wars continuity is going to get more attention, I am by no means convinced that reception of the most recent movies is (or should be) the main driver.

I think the main driver is that the new trilogy (while I liked it) doesn't do much to set up future story. It is simply easier to find interesting story hooks in the gaps between the trilogies.
Idk I think the sequel trilogy sets up a huge amount of new stories.

What are force users gonna do, now? What new political factions will rise? Etc.

I mean, it’s even more open, IMO, than it was after RoTJ.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a new Star Wars trilogy in a year or so, without erasing any of the existing movies from canon. It will simply take place in another era, with new characters most likely. Then after that, expect a reboot of the original trilogy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Idk I think the sequel trilogy sets up a huge amount of new stories.

What are force users gonna do, now? What new political factions will rise? Etc.

You and I may have different ideas of what "set up" means. You seem to be using it to denote "there is space for a story". I am using it to mean a rather stronger foundation than just open space.

I mean, it’s even more open, IMO, than it was after RoTJ.

That's exactly the problem - it is too open.

For example - the First Order is gone. The New Republic was wiped out. They do not position anyone to even try to fill that power vacuum. An author could write anything in there, which means nothing with connection to the previous stories is set up to do so.

Zardnaar

Legend
You and I may have different ideas of what "set up" means. You seem to be using it to denote "there is space for a story". I am using it to mean a rather stronger foundation than just open space.

For example - the First Order is gone. The New Republic was wiped out. They do not position anyone to even try to fill that power vacuum. An author could write anything in there, which means nothing with connection to the previous stories is set up to do so.

It's not like they developed either one that much.

I read the wiki to figure out what's what in universe.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I think having no obvious bad guy organization is a good thing. Hopefully they don’t ever just do what the EU did, and have the Empire just sort of still be there, but smaller.

Also, Rey has the Jedi library, and all the knowledge of the Jedi. That is a st up for future stories. Not their fault toxic fandom has the cast less interested in doing more Star Wars.

It's kinda a problem, yes. But I think it was a bigger problem for TLJ and its successor movie, because that was supposed to be trilogy.
It might still be a problem for the future of Star Wars, because... there isn't really anything that could direct us to what the new story would be about.

However... We also had the Knights of the Old Republic era being well recieved, and there wasn't really anything we knew about that era, either, other that there were Jedi and Sith in the past, too.

I think that could work for the future of Star Wars as well. The biggest problem might be that we don't have a good villain faction. We can easily imagine a return of the Republic or something similar, and the return of the Jedi. But the Sith are supposed to be dead. So who are the new evil force-wielders?

Or do you do without them? But how well could a new trilogy without the force work? Even Rogue One had force wielders, Rebels had even Jedi, Mandalorian has baby Yoda.
Solo is probably the only movie that went without any direct intervention of force users.
I think there is quite a potential to tell stories without the force in Star Wars... But one might ask what's the point of making it Star Wars? Particularly when you jump forward or backward in time and you alter the look anyway, so no real definite SW trappings still exist?

All that said, I don't beleive in any retcons. I am willing to believe that they might make a new trilogy set some time before or after the existing movies and tell a new Star Wars story there, with the force, with evil and good fighting each other.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases