• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a session of Basic D&D -- my game group's experience

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I rule that "iron" rations are not enough more tempting than tender delver flesh to distract hungry pursuers.

I tend to make a morale roll for creatures of animal intelligence or less. I'll give bonuses and penalties as appropriate. A giant rat is far more likely to stop attacking the big guy with a pointy stick to check out the food thrown its way than would be a tiger or elephant, for example.

I do the same if treasure is thrown down when running away from more intelligent creatures.

Remathilis

Legend
Rule's Cyclopedia to the Rescue

-- What use is a holy symbol? There’s no mention about what it is or what it’s used for or why it would be needed in the BD&D book. The rules for a cleric turning don’t even mention a holy symbol. Reading the rules as written, it’s a waste of 25gp. (Better to spend that amount on better armor.)

A Holy Symbol will repel a vampire. Seriously. DMs option is that a cleric needs it to Turn Undead.

-- What’s the difference between iron rations and normal rations? One is preserved, the other is not. But what does this mean in adventuring terms? How long do normal rations last? How much longer do preserved rations last? You buy both in 1-week units.

Standard Rations: Food is unprepared, spoils in a week overland, 1 day in a dungeon.

Iron Rations: Food is tried, spoils in two months overland, 1 week in a dungeon.

-- What’s the purpose of a silver dagger? I remember way back when I first started playing BD&D, we didn’t yet know about some creatures needing silver to hit them. Our DM ruled that a silver dagger automatically hit. It was some months later that we discovered the real purpose of a silver dagger. And then we immediately asked why there aren’t silver swords.

Silver hits certain monsters (werecreatures, wights, wraiths). Since the list was rather small, a side-arm was typically all you needed.

-- What’s a ten-foot pole for? What are iron spikes for?

10' pole: poking things you'd rather not be next to.

iron spikes: wedging a door open (useful for secret or trapped door) or as climbing tools.

I recommend anyone interested in running Basic long-term to grab a copy of the RC just for the clarifications.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I recommend anyone interested in running Basic long-term to grab a copy of the RC just for the clarifications.

Personally, as much as I think the RC is a great book, I find that the shoddy editing, especially of the combat section, makes the RC raise as many questions as it answers.

I'd recommend anyone running BD&D have the RC as a resource, but I'd also recommend people use any of the Basic sets as their core rules and then pick and choose from the RC as suits ones tastes.

Ariosto

First Post
B44: No Vampire? No Vampire. :(

No sky-high prices for garlic and wooden stakes, either. (The latter just does not work unless they're really special pointy sticks! Maybe a nice Croquet set.)

10 g.p. for a bunch of wolfsbane? See B38 for the intended use -- not quite the answer to Larry Talbot's prayers. (Also, in the real world the sap is poisonous by ingestion or insinuation.)

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah, I agree. I think the RC is overrated.

While the RC could use another good round of editing, the fact that it compiled all the BECM books in a nice one-book format makes it great for referencing. Its still my favorite overall edition of D&D (though these days I'd rather play a RC-inspired version of Basic Fantasy).

Its not perfect, but its where I started, so its good enough for me!

While the RC could use another good round of editing, the fact that it compiled all the BECM books in a nice one-book format makes it great for referencing. Its still my favorite overall edition of D&D (though these days I'd rather play a RC-inspired version of Basic Fantasy).

Its not perfect, but its where I started, so its good enough for me!
Well, it's really quibbling over relatively minor differences, but I prefer the 1981 B/X rules over the 1983+ BECM rules. I don't like most of the stuff added to BECM (e.g. weapons mastery, general skills) and don't like the 1-36 scale. I also find the interior art of the RC to be hideous. All of that, plus the editing issues makes the ~300 page RC a poor choice, for me, compared to the 128 pages of the B/X rules (even split between two books).

Don't get me wrong, I'd still play a BECM/RC game (it's good enough for me, too), and prefer it over the WotC editions. But it wouldn't be my first choice (or even second or third choice) for TSR-era D&D.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Re: Holy symbol
Philotomy Jurament said:
As DM, did you decide on a use for it?
Well, I didn't have to decide anything. We all (being experienced D&Ders) knew what holy symbols were, and we all agreed to go with spirit of the concept even if it didn't have a rule. The cleric bought a holy symbol.

Re: Normal/iron rations
Curious what you decided, here, too.
Well, since this was just for one game session, I didn't decide anything here, either. The Players equipped their PCs with normal rations. They are sold in 1-week units, and no one expected one game session to cover more than one week. Surely normal rations sold in 1-week units don't spoil in less than 1 week.

FWIW, Moldvay Basic does have some of the "silver weapons to hit" monsters
I know.

Re: Silvered swords
What would you do?
I'd let PCs buy silver swords.

TerraDave said:
The B1 hatin at the top of the thread is interesting.
Who's been hatin' on B1 in this thread?

Bullgrit

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads