D&D 5E Running D&D Next at local conventions

OnlineDM

Adventurer
What do you expect DMs will be allowed to do with the D&D Next playtest materials as far as public play goes? Denver has a convention over Labor Day weekend called TactiCon, and they're asking DMs to submit games now that they want to run at that convention.

I plan to run some D&D 4e games and some Fiasco, but I'd also like to run some D&D Next games... if I'm allowed to do so.

I know that we don't have firm answers yet and that we probably will have them next week, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts. Do you think it's likely that the playtest will let me run games at a convention?

hafrogman

Adventurer
My guess is probably not. The last few posts of this thread have some discussion of possibilities of the playtest legalities. But basically no matter what kind of restrictions are put on the download/use of the playtest documents, it's reasonable to assume you know your own group and won't distribute the document to competitor company employees and the like. In a convention setting you have no such controls.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This was just asked in the D&DN chat that Mike and Jeremy had at the Wizards site. Mike said that they do not have it planned to go on the 24th, but that he is working out the details to allow people to run the playtest in cons and public areas.

It comes down to wanting to get people actually "signed up" to be a part of it, which is more difficult to do at cons/public games (probably as a way to have names on the feedback they receive so that they can weed out any possible trolls.)

I wouldn't mind authoring a playtest adventure or two if given the opportunity. Perhaps Return to the Raiders of Oakhurst? Raiders of Oakhurst and the Temple of Doom? Raiders of Oakhurst: Revolutions?

Yora

Legend
My guess is probably not. The last few posts of this thread have some discussion of possibilities of the playtest legalities. But basically no matter what kind of restrictions are put on the download/use of the playtest documents, it's reasonable to assume you know your own group and won't distribute the document to competitor company employees and the like. In a convention setting you have no such controls.

I don't think that matters. Competitor eompany employees could just have signed up for the playtests themselves.

Remove ads