D&D 5E Running Eberron in 5e

Tersival

First Post
Are there no feats currently that give proficiency? Also, backgrounds give them, and many races. Seems like it's just 5e's equivalent of giving a +2 bonus as a feature.

edit: I would also say that Advantage with a skill or tool is more power creep, because it stacks with proficiency.

On the road at the moment so can't check my books but from memory I only recall Skilled which gets you +3 proficiencies.

I don't have the statistical talent to be confident on the power creep merits of advantage vs bonus proficiencies, I just have a gut feeling that the inherent unreliability of advantage (it will often work but not always) and preserves the dominance/balance(?) of classes where extra proficiencies are a feature. That it only applies on active checks is also a limiter.

On on other points (apologies for lack of quotes, my update via phone skills are lacking)...

The more I think about it Investigation feels like a better fit for Medani than Perception, especially since I agree that skill already seems like the most used skill in the game. Not sure how to differentiate from Tharashk then though, except by swapping them to Perception as suggested.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
On the road at the moment so can't check my books but from memory I only recall Skilled which gets you +3 proficiencies.

I don't have the statistical talent to be confident on the power creep merits of advantage vs bonus proficiencies, I just have a gut feeling that the inherent unreliability of advantage (it will often work but not always) and preserves the dominance/balance(?) of classes where extra proficiencies are a feature. That it only applies on active checks is also a limiter.

On on other points (apologies for lack of quotes, my update via phone skills are lacking)...

The more I think about it Investigation feels like a better fit for Medani than Perception, especially since I agree that skill already seems like the most used skill in the game. Not sure how to differentiate from Tharashk then though, except by swapping them to Perception as suggested.

Well, giving it some more thought, you do use Survival to track, so as long as you make it explicit clear they can use it in any environment, including urban ones, it could work. Either one, really.

A thing I think we may be missing here is the potential to give proficiency in a set of tasks, rather than a skill, as such. Bc technically 5e runs on ability checks. So, you might have bonus to Wisdom checks to find hidden things, or missing people, for instance. Or on Intelligence checks to work a portal, operate Lightning Rail controls, or examine or repair those devices.

Then proficiency or advantage both work quite well without stepping on any toes.

Side note, though. Giving proficiency as part of a feat or other feature wouldn't step on the toes of skill monkey classes, because a rogue with the feature still has vastly more proficencies than a fighter, and has expertise. And could probably gain expertise in the skill or tool or task, on top of that. Showing that a more skillful Cannith Heir will still be better at making magical stuff than a less generally skillful Heir with the same power of Dragonmark.

But, OTOH, Advantage lets the game show the same thing, so it's no big deal either way.

also, about converting dragon related adventure bits. I think as long as the thing doesn't require a cohesive giantish nation, it's probably fine. A small group of Giants using ancient rediscovered giantish technology fits really well. And brings Argonessen in as a faction you might work for, from a whole new angle.
[MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION] I'd give Sivis scribing tools and 1 or more language.

Cannith: is guess that most Dragonmarked Cannith crafters *are* magewrights, artificers, or something similar. They are the #1 source for everyday magic items, from the prosaic stuff like automated brooms, to the eternal wands, to the charmed toys rich people get their kids, to magical plumbing systems, to carts that float. I'd go with Arcana and a set of Artisan tools, for that reason. But also see my comments above about using Ability Checks and *tasks*, rather than skills as such.

Orien: What about Wis checks to navigate, plus checks to examine, repair, and operate Orien Teleportation Circles and Lightning Rail trains? Then again, the couriers. Doesn't help them at all. Maybe they deserve their own background or subclass? Maybe Orien chooses from either Nav and dealing with circles, or Nav and DEX checks to overcome difficult terrain or clear obstacles without slowing (ie parkour)? Don't want them to duplicate Lyrander.

Lyrander: I like it. That works. But what about air and sea vehicles?

Mark Of Shadow: I think that works fine, but musical instruments aren't nearly as useful as disguise kits, so maybe two instruments?

Anyway, I think a lot of House stuff can be covered with backgrounds, as well, especially since many non marked members of the houses still specialize in certain jobs the house is known for. Not all Medani Inquisitives or Tharashk Finders or Cannith Artificers are dragonmarked. Some may benefit the game as subclasses or feats, as well.

Last edited:

Tersival

First Post
Well, giving it some more thought, you do use Survival to track…

A thing I think we may be missing here is the potential to give proficiency in a set of tasks…

A small group of Giants using ancient rediscovered giantish technology fits really well. And brings Argonessen in as a faction you might work for, from a whole new angle…

Cannith: is guess that most Dragonmarked Cannith crafters *are* magewrights, artificers, or something similar. They are the #1 source for everyday magic items, …

Orien: What about Wis checks to navigate, plus checks to examine, repair, and operate Orien Teleportation Circles and Lightning Rail trains? …

Mark Of Shadow: I think that works fine, but musical instruments aren't nearly as useful as disguise kits, so maybe two instruments?

Anyway, I think a lot of House stuff can be covered with backgrounds,

Tharashk I found hard to pin down. They have prospectors, inquisitives and bounty hunters but their ECS magical abilities are mostly divination around finding directions or objects. Survival helps find nourishment in the wilderness as well as finding your so no reason it couldn’t fit prospecting for dragonshards and finding signs of a bounty’s passage. I have to agree it is a nice choice that side steps the ever-valuable Perception. Sweet.

I completely missed the Mark of Shadow! The split houses are famous for being great performers, less famous (publicly anyway). For being great spies/information gatherers and assassins. Deception, Performance and the PHB “Other Charisma Checks” for finding the best person to talk to and blending in all seem fitting, but is that too broad?

Matching House stuff to backgrounds is a nice reminder too. I’ve been focusing on bonuses a Dragonmark feat may give you through its magical nature alone, thinking the mark grants aptitudes that have been built upon by the Houses to great success. That’s part of why I favour advantage over proficiencies, so (for example) an urchin who grew up outside the House manifesting a Mark of Making wont by itself make you as good a crafter as a Guild Artisan who was raised and trained in the House. That said, I can’t see a bonus proficiency in tools, steering vehicles (be they lightning rail engines or airships) or musical instruments breaking much in the way game balance.

This guy has done a lot of conversion work:
https://sites.google.com/site/wayfinderfoundationofkhorvaire/[/QUOTE]

Awesome link, thanks. Lots of good ideas there.

edit: Forgot to mention, I hadn't considered the possibilities of a small of giants trying to revive their lost birthrights and forgotten magics. If the dragons felt cursing Xendrik was the final nail in the coffin fornthe giants' civilization, it would make sense that a few bright giants might learn enough to escape Xendrik for new homes. Lots of potential for those giants to bear enough of a bitter grudge against dragons to ally with a cult that might have a chance of wreaking havoc on giant kind; or for the cult to see such giants as a convenient expendable resource; for "enlisted" giants to worry too much draconic attention will spark another purge by dragons; for anyone who doesnt know dragons once wiped out a thriving giant civilization to learn this from giants worried about a repeat if Argonnessan learns of their involvement...

Now i have to revise my concept for Skyreach, thanks!

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Cannith: is guess that most Dragonmarked Cannith crafters *are* magewrights, artificers, or something similar. They are the #1 source for everyday magic items, from the prosaic stuff like automated brooms, to the eternal wands, to the charmed toys rich people get their kids, to magical plumbing systems, to carts that float. I'd go with Arcana and a set of Artisan tools, for that reason. But also see my comments above about using Ability Checks and *tasks*, rather than skills as such.

Re: Cannith; I've been giving it a lot of thought and, yeah, I totally buy that actually. While most of the guild artisans are pretty mundane crafters, those with the Mark of Making are probably the most closely related to the magic industry. I'd probably go with Arcana as the skill bonus for that mark.

I've also landed pretty definitively on not giving out any additional proficiencies/bonuses (tools, vehicles, languages, etc.) 5e skills, I think, are a reflection of a balance between background and natural aptitude; it makes sense that a Mark could magically enhance your ability to lie or perform with confidence; but I find it less likely that it would teach you the knowledge and skills to play a specific instrument. Tools/vehicles/languages are a matter of training; it's why you can pick them up during downtime between adventures. I'd leave these off of the Dragonmark's bonuses.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Re: Cannith; I've been giving it a lot of thought and, yeah, I totally buy that actually. While most of the guild artisans are pretty mundane crafters, those with the Mark of Making are probably the most closely related to the magic industry. I'd probably go with Arcana as the skill bonus for that mark.

I've also landed pretty definitively on not giving out any additional proficiencies/bonuses (tools, vehicles, languages, etc.) 5e skills, I think, are a reflection of a balance between background and natural aptitude; it makes sense that a Mark could magically enhance your ability to lie or perform with confidence; but I find it less likely that it would teach you the knowledge and skills to play a specific instrument. Tools/vehicles/languages are a matter of training; it's why you can pick them up during downtime between adventures. I'd leave these off of the Dragonmark's bonuses.

Makes sense. And those proficiencies can live in dragonmarked house backgrounds.

Remove ads