D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

KidSnide

Adventurer
Dr? Elijah? Caldwell? Logan? Cobalt? Cartwright? Strontium?

I've read Piratecat's story hours before and he puts a hell of a lot of effort into his games... so why did the players choose what appear to be real world/non-fantasy names? For me at least they break the verisimilitude unless, of course, this is consistent with the game world.

I find well-chosen, non-gibberish names like these to be a mark of a good campaign. Unlike commonly used modern names - say - "Bob", "Jeff" or "Kevin", most of these Gray Guard names have a old-timey feel that, IMO, adds to verisimilitude.

-KS

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ha! I knew Chengin's post seemed familiar. That's post #15, reposted by a spam-bot. Too funny; if you're going to spam, don't do it in an admin's thread. Banned and deleted. :)

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I find well-chosen, non-gibberish names like these to be a mark of a good campaign. Unlike commonly used modern names - say - "Bob", "Jeff" or "Kevin", most of these Gray Guard names have a old-timey feel that, IMO, adds to verisimilitude.

I created a mage for a new game set in the Nentir Vale. I was stuck for a name, so I picked Rufus. I got a few raised eyebrows, but it is an old, historical name. *shrug*

Tamlyn

Explorer
PC, I am so totally stealing the misty slip 'n slide room and illusory maze room! Completely awesome!

I'm DMing for guys who have been playing decades longer than I have and want to keep them on their toes. This thread is a constant treasure-trove of ideas. Thanks to you and the group for sharing it!

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Run #43 was a couple of nights ago. It featured more traps, some unexpected diplomacy, and an enormous can of whup-ass opened up on a solo monster. As usual, this will be more of an executive summary than a true narrative. Due to personal time constraints, it will be shorter than other such posts; Piratecat will doubtless want to fill in lots of little details.

The only door out of the revealed-illusion room opened into a dark tunnel, from which the sounds of wind were emanating, though we felt nothing on our side. Some experimentation revealed that the doorway was actually a portal (to a section of the Feywild, it turns out), and that the tunnel was filled with a hurricane-force wind blowing away from us. We tied all of our remaining rope together – about 150’ worth – and anchored one end in the room with Sovereign Glue.

We crawled down the rope (effectively, due to the wind, it was like descending into a pit), hoping that 150’ would be enough to get us safely to the tunnel’s terminus. Alas, no such luck. So, there we were, strung on our rope in the 100+ mph, with an unknown distance still to go. Our solution? After much kicking and contorting, we used another dose of Sovereign Glue to stick a patch of the rope near to us to the ceiling of the tunnel. Then Cobalt climbed back “up” to where we had come from, and cut the rope. This bought us another 150’, though it also meant Cobalt was whip-sawed from one end of the tunnel to the other. He barely held on.

300’ was enough, it turned out. Cobalt was flung into the room beyond the tunnel – another deadly puzzle chamber. The others finished climbing “down” the rope and soon joined him. This new room was a large dome-shaped cavern, brightly lit by a small floating “sun” up near the top. Hovering in the air between this sun and the floor were many large boulders, like small asteroids slowly drifting in space. At the top of the dome was an inverted lake; if gravity were suddenly to reverse, we’d fall into it, assuming we avoided the rocks and the sun.

The deadly part? The sun was hot!. Every round that we didn’t hide in the shade of one of the floating boulders, we were severely burned. Worse, the sun and rocks were actually nature spirits, and the sun-spirit could order the rock-spirits to move aside. So, we madly dashed from shadow to shadow while the sun tried to fry us alive. (Stealth checks, made much easier by our use of the Traveler’s Camouflage ritual before heading into the wind tunnel.) There was no obvious exit from this cavern, so we guessed we had to make it up to the lake, some 50’ above our heads.

Some experiments showed that as one left the ground, gravity became progressively weaker, until there was no gravity near the center. Then gravity picked up again as one neared the lake, but inverted. We just needed to clear the half-way point in order to start falling “upward” toward the water.

Bramble, our shaman, bought us the time we needed to think of and implement a solution, by plying her diplomacy with the sun spirit. She tried to convince it not to fry us alive, and at first it seemed hopeless. The spirit, while bound, was happy in its role as guardian of this room, and it delighted in trying to find and incinerate us. But Bramble kept working it, and found a solution through flattery. She begged it to show off its versatility – it could twinkle as well as scorch. And while it was twinkling, we made our move.

Strontium, the heaviest member of the party, is also a wizard with the ability to teleport. He teleported straight up 5 squares, such that he was just over the gravity inversion line. As he started to fall slowly upward, he tossed down one end of a rope, weighted with a rock. Bramble, the lightest person the group, grabbed it. Stron’s weight was enough to pull Bramble upward, and the further he fell, the stronger the gravity pulling him became. We made a chain, each member grabbing the ankles of the previous person as they rose, lightest-to-heaviest, and in this way we all managed to fall upward into the water before the sun spirit realized what we were doing. Splashdown! (Or Splashup, technically.)

Spluttering, we bobbed back up to the surface, but this time in a wholly different room. We were floating in a moat that formed a ring around the outside of another cavern. The wet floor of the cavern was flat and rocky, with a large Witchwater pedestal in the center. On that pedestal was loot! At last!

We didn’t have much time to admire it, though, as the final guardian rose up from beside the pedestal. It was some kind of water/fire elemental hybrid, towering over us. And here we were with most of us down to our last one or two healing surges.

We needn’t have worried, for although we were down in surges, we were also fully rested, powers-wise, which meant we had 21 dailies just waiting for a target. Holy cow, did we pour on the damage!

As it happened, we all got one free round of attackswhile it was still coalescing, and during that round we did over 100 points of damage to it. It had about 530 hp altogether, but I think we dispatched it in about four rounds, despite that it itself could attack three times and also teleport each round.

The biggest single attack was our Sorcerer Gilran landing a critical hit with Dazzling Ray , which was over 50 points. Cobalt also was able to pull off the Knockout/Bloodbath combo with an Action Point, which, while it used up 2 dailies, added up to 75 points of damage plus ongoing 21.

I don’t have many tactical takeaways from the battle, so I’ll just make this observation. A full party, even one that’s not highly optimized for damage, has incredible damage potential if they’re willing to go nova in a single battle. With all the little modifiers stacking up (Hooray again for Bramble’s War Chieftain’s Blessing, that gives us all +2 to hit a single creature for the entire encounter!), and the monster constantly afflicted with states, it never really had a chance. Piratecat told us it was a Level 10 solo, and we’re a party of seven Level 9 PC’s.

So, 530 hit points later, we slew the beast and claimed the loot. The pedestal dissolved, leaving another portal as an exit. Are we actually done with this gauntlet, or is there more still to come? We’ll find out in a couple of weeks!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It's official: I prefer traps that people have to think their way through to avoid nasty consequences. I definitely didn't expect the whole "sovereign glue the rope" trick (I expected a tumultous flight down the windy tunnel followed by an ignominious crash landing), and when they ran out of rope I really didn't expect the "superglue the other end of the rope, and cut the top end." Beautiful. Likewise, I expected the group to use acrobatic checks to get on each other's shoulders (taking significant damage in the process) to get past the sun spirit into the ceiling pool. I loved how Bramble tried to talk the spirit into not shining by appealing to its vanity.

This is also a good example of my predilection for cinematic encounters. In my head I could see the rocks drifting and reforming as people dart from shadow to shadow, and it was too good an image not to use. Other possible ways of getting past would be to have shoved a boulder into the pool; the resulting splash would have temporarily dampened and dimmed the sun spirit.

The big monster was based on a witchwater dark initiate (lvl 10 solo) that I changed substantially. It had a lot of area attacks and a long reach, which was perfect. I wanted a balance where good play resulted in success, and bad tactics ended with unconscious or dying heroes. It was a fun fight.

In addition to a set of three witchwater magic items (a helm, a rapier and armor) that the creature was guarding, there was 9000 gp in high level potions and elixirs scattered around the watery room. Unfortunately, the group wasted a number of them by jumping in them instead of bottling and slurping them. Eh, easy come easy go. I sort of expected that.

This was a really fun three session dungeon encounter for me. Relatively linear, numerous tricks and traps interspersed by interesting combats, mysterious plot points, and a froghemoth. Win!

The group is considering asking Grimble Thimbletick the NPC defender to stay with them, thus effectively abandoning his duty post. Not sure yet what he'll do. They could use a defender, even as a companion character, but that makes for a large party. I'd welcome any advice or experience you've had with companion characters.

Truename

First Post
The group is considering asking Grimble Thimbletick the NPC defender to stay with them, thus effectively abandoning his duty post. Not sure yet what he'll do. They could use a defender, even as a companion character, but that makes for a large party. I'd welcome any advice or experience you've had with companion characters.

I've used several companion characters with my (5 player) group. Mechanically, they work very well. What I've done, though, is give each companion character a "tactics" section at the bottom of its stat block that the players follow. Because of the size of the group, the tactics usually involve hanging back and not getting involved in the fight.

For example, for Torrent (I'm playing WotBS), the tactics block says:

[sblock=Torrent Tactics]
Tactics: Torrent moves to protect vulnerable party members in case enemies get past front-line defenders. If no enemy is within range, she readies an action and waits. She provides help with environmental hazards as appropriate, but leaves the bulk of the fighting to the party unless the situation becomes dire.

Torrent saves her Healing Word ability for emergencies, such as when the rest of the party has no more healing capability.
[/sblock]

I also do the roleplaying for the companions as needed, and occasionally provide direction on specific maneuvers in combat.

The companions slow down play a little bit--not too bad for us, because the prescribed tactics and "hanging back" aspect means they're very simple to run. Because of the slowdown, though, and because I want the game to be about the PCs and not the NPCs, I wouldn't normally have a companion character be heavily involved in the fighting unless I had 4 or fewer players.

Edit: To be clear, my players run the companion characters, not me.

Last edited:

Remove ads