D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
This write-up will summarize and discuss runs #45 and #46, which mostly consisted of combats. Piraetcat has already provided the plot content of the first of these runs – us entirely failing to bluff Lord Tomberlin during dinner, and him poisoning us and tilting us into a deathtrap, after first stunning the entire party. (What kind of sick bastard has such an elaborate set-up in his dining room, anyway? The entire huge table on a swiveling floor panel, and needle-launchers built into the chairs? Really?)

The fight was against a horrific agglomeration of mashed-together animated bodies, featuring Cobalt’s murder victim, Anders Riverlimb (Tomberlin’s son) as a central component. It was a straight-up Cadaver Golem (Level 12 Elite), which ordinarily would be pretty easy for six Level 9 PC’s, but a) we started the fight at half-health or lower due to the fall, and b) every single party member started the fight with the “Stunned (save ends)” affliction. Worse, if I recall correctly, we were at (slowly diminishing) negatives to our saves! While Stunning is usually an obnoxious effect to throw at PC’s (and Piratecat is quite friendly in this regard), this set-up made for great cinematics. We’re all lying on the floor, bruised, injured, unable to move, and here comes the horrible monster! Will we shake off the poison in time?

Turns out, yes, we did. Even with the gruesome prologue, it was only a medium-difficulty fight; once we started saving (especially the healers), we bootstrapped badly need hit-points. Cobalt did go unconscious at one point, but 4E’s “start-at-zero” policy when being healed from negative makes it easy for PC’s to bounce back into the fight. The Golem was reliably stunning one or two PC’s per round, but once we hit the tipping point of saving vs. the Stun, our vastly superior number of actions per turn won the day.

We healed up after the fight, and then heard some group of people(?) approaching, presumably to collect and/or clean up the bodies. We lay in wait, and ambushed a quartet of Flesh Golems as they entered the room.

This was a much harder fight – although Piratecat knocked their healths down from 300+ to about 150, they still a) had extraordinarily high AC and Fort defenses, and b) had hit-roll bonuses high enough that they almost never missed. (According to the Monster Builder, Flesh Golems are +16 to hit AC, or +18 when they’re bloodied, and our AC’s are all in the low 20’s, except for Bramble with a 19. (Cobalt has the best AC at 24).

On top of that, all of their attacks caused “Dazed (save ends)” on a hit, and each Golem was making 2 attacks per round. The result was that, on a typical round, half or more of us were Dazed, at least until we started whittling them down.

This was also a combat where our lack of Defender hurt us more than usual, since the Golems charged right through our front line and into the softer backfield. I try to play Cobalt as the party defender, but although I’ve been sinking feats into his defenses, he’s still not “sticky.” Gilran was knocked unconscious during this battle, which (to my recollection) marks the first time in a long time we’ve had knock-outs in two consecutive fights. But we’ve got good healing mojo in the party – Dr. Caldwell has become kind of a ranger/artificer mix, with a concentration on healing abilities, Cobalt took the Warlord multiclass to a get a great 1/day heal, and of course Bramble is a Shaman with Healing Word, and various health/temp HP abilities. With some focused-fire, we took down one Golem fairly quickly, and held on decently for the rest of the battle.

With the Flesh Golems dispatched, it was time to get the heck out of this hell-hole. And hell-hole it certainly is – the Riverlimbs are a whole family of clandestine necromancers, and their secret basement is filled with ongoing body-stitching operations and tools. We discovered a room where some poor victim had been cut in half, but was kept alive and hooked into tubes of liquid, obviously to be made into some grotesque amalgam at a later date.

There was one more battle before the night ended – a door to the main part of the basement was guarded by a Bone Golem. We surprised it (using Stealth and Thievery to quietly remove the hinges of the door, which was otherwise barred from the Golem’s side), and pretty much smashed it to pieces in 2-3 rounds. When facing only a single enemy, we pretty much pile on the states – it was dazed, blinded, immobilized, etc. for most of its short life, and while it did manage some decent damage, it didn’t live long enough to prove a serious threat.

That said, it did syphon away even more of our Dailies and surges (Caldwell is down to a single healing surge, I believe.) And we’re not out of the mansion yet, and Lord Tomberlin Riverlimb is still here somewhere, waiting to be reckoned with. We ended the session with Bramble discovering a secret door behind a painting (hooray for having someone with a stellar Perception skill!), and the party about to explore beyond it.

Also: Ding! We all get to go up to Level 10 for next game – only one to go before Paragon. Cobalt is continuing to play the part of faux Defender, taking the Blade and Buckler Duelist feat that increases his AC and REF by 1. (So, as a 10th level leather-wearing striker, his AC is now 26 and his Reflex is 28.)

Final note: I too am a big proponent of the "+1 to hit with a cinematic description of your attack" rule, but the DM in me worries about balance, and I mentioned to Piratecat that he could use that to replace the free Expertise Feat we've all effectively been getting. (PC has been knocking all monster defenses down by 1).

Can’t wait for the next game, as usual. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
the Riverlimbs are a whole family of clandestine necromancers...
Excuse me? I think not! Necromancy is most palpably illegal. The Riverlimbs are alchemists and physicians, thank you very much, heroically interested in saving lives through alchemo-magically providing motility to otherwise necrotic tissue. They're saving lives and restoring those who have tragically passed before their prime. Necromancers? Piffle.

And that's why they have hideous amalgam flesh, corpse and bone golems. Because they're heroes. Geez, I would have thought that'd be self-evident.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Excuse me? I think not! Necromancy is most palpably illegal. The Riverlimbs are alchemists and physicians, thank you very much, heroically interested in saving lives through alchemo-magically providing motility to otherwise necrotic tissue. They're saving lives and restoring those who have tragically passed before their prime. Necromancers? Piffle.

And that's why they have hideous amalgam flesh, corpse and bone golems. Because they're heroes. Geez, I would have thought that'd be self-evident.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, you sick bastard.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's kind of you. I'm glad that our musings here are of some use to other DMs, and I'm having a great time planning the transition into the next tier of play. We'll probably start a new thread when we hit 11th level 5 games from now; this thread is getting long.

We're not playing this week due to Thanksgiving, so I'll muse about something else. One of the players is unhappy with their character's mechanics. Logan's player Alomir originally wanted a smart rogue, an int/dex build. That wasn't originally available so he went with the dex/str build, and mechanically his character turned out almost identical to Sagiro's.

After six or seven levels (and after a few splat books came out!) we agreed to try something else, and Logan was rebuilt as a cunning sneak. My worry at the time (which I probably kept to myself) was that it just didn't seem like a very fun build to play. Sneaks live or die based on complicated stealth rules, and they're ranged. That means either you're standing back from the melee and sniping in while effectively invisible, or the enemy sees you and HOLY CRAP AUGGH YOU'RE SCREWED because you rely so heavily on stealth. I personally think getting targetted by monsters is fun and exciting, so a PC designed to never get seen or hit wouldn't be as enjoyable for me.

It's taken another few levels before Alomir reached a similar conclusion. We love Logan's personality and backstory, though. So the question is: if a player isn't happy with their character's mechanics, how far do you go to tweak the character mid-game?

There was a time when I'd have said "You broke it, you bought it," and allowed no changes. I no longer feel that way. Storminator's MnM game has taught me that allowing flexibility in character creation and upkeep results in excited players with high buy-in. Retraining rules help a little, of course, but we are looking at something more substantial here.

And I think we have a fun solution, one that (a) makes Alomir happy, (b) makes me happy, (c) keeps Logan in the game, (d) is justifiable by the plot (you'll see in the next write-up), and (e) pushes the storyline forward in an interesting way. I'm really intrigued to see how it turns out. We'll report here.

whydirt

First Post
I've jumped into this thread in the last couple of pages. Is there a recent summary of all the PCs (race/class/rough description) somewhere?

I obviously picked up bits and pieces of information just through reading the last 4-5 session write-ups, but something more explicit would be helpful.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've jumped into this thread in the last couple of pages. Is there a recent summary of all the PCs (race/class/rough description) somewhere?

I obviously picked up bits and pieces of information just through reading the last 4-5 session write-ups, but something more explicit would be helpful.
Here are the more-or-less current character sheets on the campaign wiki.

Piratecat's Gaming Wiki / Who the PCs are

Everyone just made lvl 10. We have a human brawny rogue (Cobalt), a human shadowy rogue (Logan), a human two-blade ranger (Elijah Caldwell, currently calling himself Wolfram), a warforged wizard (Stron), a wilden shaman (Bramble), and a drow ("an Odassian elf" in my game) chaos sorcerer (Gilran).

Dungeoneer

First Post
Just catching up on the latest adventures here.

I really appreciate PirateCat and Sagiro sharing their campaign here. It's so helpful to me as a newbie DM. It's like a master class in DMing. Looking forward to Paragon tier!

Remove ads