D&D 5E Running Rime of the Frost Maiden

jasper

Rotten DM
Probably a matter of one editor saying "Hmm, that's not bulky enough, we should make it larger and more awkward", and another editor saying "That feeds too many people, we should reduce the number of servings." Too many cooks spoils the broth.
Stone HIM.

jasper

Rotten DM
Question 2. Could a vampire walk the streets of Ten-Towns at what passes for high noon? I thinking not but I am open to ideas.

jasper

Rotten DM
That sounds reasonable, but they wouldn't specifically restrict themselves to humanoids.

Unless there were halflings. They love halflings.
Yes I know they eat anything like a 15 year going through a growth spurt. But I am looking the the population numbers. And since adventures have some bad results... Well just say Bulette buffet plays into another chapter.

Question. How many humanoids would a Bulette eat per day?
I thinking 2 human size.

This veterinary site provides some basic information about calorie needs for pets based on weight and activity level. The weight of a bulette is unspecified, but starting with a low value of 2000 lbs (~900kg) would produce a resting energy requirement of 11,571 calories. An active adult might require 3.5 times that or around 40,000 calories. This feels like a lowball estimate, especially since I could easily imagine a bulette weighing far more than that.

Surprisingly, this Smithsonian article clocks a human body at around 125,000 calories. Thus our one-ton bulette could survive for three days on a single human. (Of course, they prefer halflings, so they might need more of them!) Looks like they would be able to survive on one per day up until they're between 4 and 5 tons. If you want a bulette to need two people per day, it would weigh in at around 23,000 lbs (10,400 kg).

Caveats: This is all based on some quick Googling. I have no expertise in any of this. In a fantasy world, of course, the GM could justify just about anything. Maybe bulettes have an unusually efficient metabolism. Maybe they lie dormant most of the time except when they detect vibrations of prey. Maybe their armor is dense enough that it boosts their weight considerably. Etc. Still, it's nice to have some real-world numbers to start with.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Yes I know they eat anything like a 15 year going through a growth spurt. But I am looking the the population numbers. And since adventures have some bad results... Well just say Bulette buffet plays into another chapter.
Which one in particular? I still haven't read much beyond the initial Ten Towns adventures.

You could probably quite easily use the climate to compensate for any inconsistencies. Just say that Auril's curse has forced them into a state of semi-hibernation.

jasper

Rotten DM
Which one in particular? I still haven't read much beyond the initial Ten Towns adventures.

You could probably quite easily use the climate to compensate for any inconsistencies. Just say that Auril's curse has forced them into a state of semi-hibernation.
The
Chapter 2 Distress Signal at the end has a bulette. It can wander to ten-town is not killed. Chapter 4 The dragon eats half the population of each town
Just say various monsters can be triggered by events and they all wander into Ten-Towns.

Remove ads