D&D 5E Running Rime of the Frost Maiden

akr71

Hero
A good rule for me is to try and remember that if something is irredeemably evil it doesn't children. It's made in a vat or bursts forth from a chrysalis or is summoned by a vile rite. Problem solved.
I totally get that.

Not to drive the thread off topic, but on the topic of wantonly killing young, sapient creatures. My players were tasked with eliminating a bunch of 'snake-demons' (yuan-ti) that were abducting and sacrificing some nomads the characters befriended. They had no problem, until they arrived at the hatchery, full of young yuan-ti and eggs. They were like "Nope, adults that attack us is one thing, but we're not gonna slaughter young." I intended to play up the demon aspect with a ritual and the young being anointed in the blood of the sacrifices, but the party arrived at the wrong time of day (I don't like static situations where all the bad guys are frozen in time until the party enters the room).

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
One fun thing in my game is that the player who wound up with Owlbear Whisperer is a druid whose backstory is all about how animals and nature have an affinity for him which he doesn't return, and he's basically become a reluctant druid after trying all his life to deny that part of himself. So having owlbears be well disposed towards him (a) makes total sense, and (b) is something he'd be genuinely annoyed and embarrassed by, and wouldn't want anyone else to know.

jasper

Rotten DM
The Ghost mention in Easthaven. If she escapes into the town. How many people could she possess each night, if she walked the victim into the lake?

MarkB

Legend
The Ghost mention in Easthaven. If she escapes into the town. How many people could she possess each night, if she walked the victim into the lake?
Escapes? She's not bound, so far as I can read. She manifests as a poltergeist if she dislikes the manner in which the participants in the séance invite her to participate.

Since she uses the Specter (Poltergeist) stats, she technically doesn't possess anyone, except Rinaldo by invitiation. She could certainly drain the life out of quite a few townsfolk, but I don't see anything in the text to indicate that she'd be motivated to go on a rampage, beyond her initial lashing out if the party manage to piss her off.

jasper

Rotten DM
Escapes? She's not bound, so far as I can read. She manifests as a poltergeist if she dislikes the manner in which the participants in the séance invite her to participate.

Since she uses the Specter (Poltergeist) stats, she technically doesn't possess anyone, except Rinaldo by invitiation. She could certainly drain the life out of quite a few townsfolk, but I don't see anything in the text to indicate that she'd be motivated to go on a rampage, beyond her initial lashing out if the party manage to piss her off.
T6. White Lady of Lac Dinneshere. What looks like a woman tied to the figurehead is actually the White Lady of Lac Dinneshere, which manifests here as a chaotic evil ghost....... A possessed host will attempt to leave the Town Hall by the northern exit and drown itself in Lac Dinneshere by...
By group just blew this ghost off and let it escape.

Reynard

Legend
T6. White Lady of Lac Dinneshere. What looks like a woman tied to the figurehead is actually the White Lady of Lac Dinneshere, which manifests here as a chaotic evil ghost....... A possessed host will attempt to leave the Town Hall by the northern exit and drown itself in Lac Dinneshere by...
By group just blew this ghost off and let it escape.
I don't think it escapes. By the logic of evil ghost stories, it returns to the figurehead to kill again. And again. Until the PCs realize their inaction is causing people to die.

jasper

Rotten DM
I don't think it escapes. By the logic of evil ghost stories, it returns to the figurehead to kill again. And again. Until the PCs realize their inaction is causing people to die.
Thanks. But, I think I going let escape and do may him. Wait a minute it is Alturiak, so Alturiak him and get the pcs blamed for it. The reason I can get away with it. The left the cauldron of plenty in the town hall last month. By now, and innocent extra should have trigger it.

Reynard

Legend
We did our second session tonight, starting the Toil and Trouble adventure in Easthaven. I have 6 PCs so I decided not to modify the water weird encounter. It went well: it was scary but the PCs were lucky (multiple crits) and the water weird whiffed on its turns. But it was tense enough because some players knew how potentially dangerous it was.

Remove ads