D&D 5E Running Rime of the Frost Maiden

sim-h

Explorer
I'm shocked by how much Icewind Dale information is left out of the book - looking at the 'Encounters of the Week' for DnD Beyond is highly recommended to collate all these sources. Biggest shocker for me is that there is a far more detailed section on Bryn Shander in Storm King's Thunder than the one in Rime of the Frostmaiden! Seems a bit calculated to leave it out of the new book (i.e. now buy this other book as well) - some of the sections that are in there are copied verbatim from that source.

Disappointing.

Weiley31

Legend
I'm shocked by how much Icewind Dale information is left out of the book - looking at the 'Encounters of the Week' for DnD Beyond is highly recommended to collate all these sources. Biggest shocker for me is that there is a far more detailed section on Bryn Shander in Storm King's Thunder than the one in Rime of the Frostmaiden! Seems a bit calculated to leave it out of the new book (i.e. now buy this other book as well) - some of the sections that are in there are copied verbatim from that source.

Disappointing.
So if you do Icewind Dale, Rime of the Frostmaiden+Legacy of The Crystal Shard Next are both needed?

Reynard

Legend
The other sources are not 'needed' but they certainly make things a lot easier to flesh out, since we're talking about existing lore and published adventures
I have told my players, among whom there are a couple FR fans, that this is MY interpretation of Icewind Dale and there are sure to be conflicts with existing lore. None of them have refused to play so I think it will be fine.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Yes, there are a few shared elements between them (both have the whole "ice queen in a tower", both involve black ice / chardalyn, and both can potentially involve an attack on Ten-Towns by a 'dragon', etc), but I still think it would be good as a setup, since Rime of the Frostmaiden does draw on elements from that previous adventure.
I found it strange that they've (apparently) decided to conflate black ice and chardalyn. It seems, in the little bit of reading I've done, that chardalyn predates the idea of black ice and has nothing to do with Cren... Crenshin... uh... Cinnabon, whereas black ice is the aftermath of the uh, um... Crystal Shard's destruction.

I'm not opposed to this at all, as it condenses two not-overly-distinct quasi-magical materials (which can both be forged and can possibly negatively impact the weilder's mind into one) that are only found in the (mostly) same location.

jasper

Rotten DM
Hmm wonder what the average dog sled HP and AC is? And I just did the number on the flight time for a certain encounter. Ouch.

Remove ads