D&D 5E Running the classics in 5e - best of the best?

Related question. For those of you who've run BECMI/1E/2E modules in later editions... Have you found that the encounter areas are often too small and/or regular to make for the sorts of more active/dynamic combats that 3E, 4E, and 5E encourage? What've you done to adjust?

Shiroiken

Legend
Related question. For those of you who've run BECMI/1E/2E modules in later editions... Have you found that the encounter areas are often too small and/or regular to make for the sorts of more active/dynamic combats that 3E, 4E, and 5E encourage? What've you done to adjust?
Nothing. "Dynamic" combats are made by the actions of the players and DM, not the size of the room.

Nothing. "Dynamic" combats are made by the actions of the players and DM, not the size of the room.

I agree that that's true to an extent, but there are limits. Trying to squeeze four or five PCs and 7 orcs into a single moderately-sized square room gets a little unwieldy/unbelievable.

fletch137

Explorer
I've a healthy amount of old mods from all editions I'd like to see used in 5e. When adapting older adventures, do you recalculate treasure?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
As a rough estimate I divide all treasure listed in old adventures by 10 to determine its value in 5th edition. Magic items, of course, are much rarer (except for potions and scrolls).

Remathilis

Legend
Kinda depends what your looking for...

Classic Triple-Layer Dungeons with a Dragon at the end? Horror on the Hill.
Wilderness Adventure with lots of encounters? Night's Dark Terror.

Unfortunately unavailable* on PDF, I like the Thunder Rift line of modules for their shortness and generally ease of use. (Thunder Rift campaign setting, Assault on Raven's Ruin, Quest for the Silver Sword, Knight of Newts, Sword & Shield, In the Phantom's Wake, Rage of the Rakasta, The Goblin's Lair, and the Haunted Tower.) They're a bit pricey on eBay however.

* Legally.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Right now I'm mashing up A0: Danger at Darkshelf Quarry with U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. That will lead into T1: The Village of Hommlet with elements of N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God, and B2: Keep on the Borderlands.

Eventually the players will encounter The Slavelords and deal with cultists in Tharizdun operating out of the Temple of Elemental Evil and tied to The Scarlet Brotherhood.

neobolts

Explorer
Lots of great suggestions here. So many responded! I'm not regretting my decision to delurk here at all.

I think I will run some campaign-specific intro stuff and then run Gates of Firestorm Peak around 5th level. I have have enjoyed Cordell's work in the past (player in Sunless Citadel and DM for Keep on the Shadowfell), so running his first D&D module sounds like a good time.

Will definitely be bookmarking this thread for future use.

Last edited:

Remove ads