• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running with throwing weapons

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
How do I give my scout the ability to throw both of his axes while running? The skermish ability may be too powerful to allow this but I find myself thinking why is it that my scout can only throw one weapon while running when he carries two?

How far of a stretch is it to offer a character the ability to use the throwing weapons he carries in hand while running?

Peter Gibbons

First Post
fenzer said:
How do I give my scout the ability to throw both of his axes while running? The skermish ability may be too powerful to allow this but I find myself thinking why is it that my scout can only throw one weapon while running when he carries two?
I would use the Manyshot feat as an example, perhaps changing the Rapid Shot prerequisite to Quick Draw or TWF. Call it Manythrow or something. That would give you the ability to throw two (or more) axes as one standard action. This approach would also prevent the scout's skirmish ability from being abused (since Manyshot specifies that precision-based damage is applied only once).

FEADIN

Explorer
You cannot throw a weapon while running, running is a standard action, throwing a weapon is at least also a standard action and you cannot take 2 standard actions in a round.
You can move and throw a weapon with this:
SHOT ON THE RUN [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: When using the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.
Special: A fighter may select Shot on the Run as one of his fighter bonus feats.

or you can move after or before you shot if you don't have the feat.
Nota: to gain the benefit from "skirmish" you have to move at least 10' away from your starting point before you attack.

Dang, I thought this thread was going to be a collection of gnarly stories warning about the dangers of running with throwing weapons... much like running with scissors, but with a lot more bloodshed. Oh well.

kenobi65

First Post
FEADIN said:
You cannot throw a weapon while running, running is a standard action, throwing a weapon is at least also a standard action and you cannot take 2 standard actions in a round.

Actually, running is a full-round action. However, my suspicion is that the OP used the word "run" when he really meant "move".

Shot on the Run would let him throw one axe in the middle of a move...but not both axes, since a single attack (i.e., throwing one axe) is a standard action, but throwing two axes is a "full attack", which is a full-round action, and you can't combine a full-round action and a standard action in the same round.

kenobi65

First Post
Peter Gibbons said:
I would use the Manyshot feat as an example, perhaps changing the Rapid Shot prerequisite to Quick Draw or TWF. Call it Manythrow or something.

Also, it's worth noting that you can't combine Manyshot with Shot on the Run. Manyshot is a standard action, but is not technically an attack action, so it can't be combined with other feats (like Shot on the Run) that specify being used as part of an attack action.

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Thanks everyone for responding. Kenobi65 and FEADIN you are both correct. The rules do not allow for what I am asking. Hence the reason for my thread.

I like what Peter had to say. I like how he was willing to modify the rules to allow for what is an comon sense action in combat. So much so that recently my DM was playing my character while I was away from the table and just logically had my scout throw both of his axes during his movement. He hadn't even realized what he had done until I questioned him on it.

The point is, why do we have a game mechanic that puts such a seperation between movement actions and attack actions? As robust as this game engine is, it seems odd to me to have such a rigid restriction.

I am a cruchy player and DM. I have always been about the rules and figure I have a pretty good grasp on them. Still, I am looking for smarts beyond my own in the hope that someone can help me come up with a balanced solution to this quandry.

Thanks.

melkorspawn

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Dang, I thought this thread was going to be a collection of gnarly stories warning about the dangers of running with throwing weapons... much like running with scissors, but with a lot more bloodshed. Oh well.

Only slightly removed from that topic. I urge anyone who is going to run with a two-handed broadsword (greatsword) at their hip to have it in a sheath, not in a frog. Without the leg-strap associated with a sheath, the weapon has a nasty habit of bouncing from the outside of one's hip to the inside, with the associated unpleasantness that entails.

Enamel_32

First Post
There's sort of a feat for this, actually. It's called dual strike and its in the complete adventurer. It allows a player to make an offhand attack with an attack as a standard action... Sort of what you're looking for?

Remove ads