Rwc 2011

Pinotage

Explorer
You might be underestimating the Bokke there, Phaezen: I think this team know how to grind out the wins even if they're not playing their best, like England in 2007.

Definitely a grind against Wales. Doesn't instill one with a lot of confidence, but a win is a win. Welsh must feel gutted.

Pinotage

Dioltach

Legend
I agree that Wales must be very disappointed. I watched the second half of the game, and most of the time the Boks seemed to lack motivation: slow to the breakdown, not competing for the ball. Wales played their hearts out, and ran themselves into the ground. I can only imagine what that will mean for their chances in the long term: it's like they put everything they had into their opening game, and lost.

SA and England, having ground out these tough matches and seemingly conserved a lot of their physical and mental strength, will be in better shape to last the rest of the competition.

Phaezen

First Post
Not a convincing performance by the 'boks at all. Wales should be the toughest match of the group though, so a win is a win.

I don't think any of the top flight teams looked 100% convincing with their wins but they should settle down after the opening match nerves.

The two teams that most impressed me with their performances were Tonga and Japan, even though they were out muscled and out classed by superior opponents they showed a tenacity and commitment that cannot be questioned. Should be a good game when they come p against one another.

Phaezen

First Post
Much more convincing win by South Africa over Fiji today, also the first upset of the tournament with Ireland beating Australia. :cool:

Lots of missed penalties and conversions so far this tournament, not too sure if it is the ball or wind conditions in the stadia.

Dioltach

Legend
Lots of missed penalties and conversions so far this tournament, not too sure if it is the ball or wind conditions in the stadia.

I've heard rumours that the match balls have a tendency to kick differently after having been handled for a while. Apparently Toby Flood practised with the used match balls for his preparation for the Georgia game today. He missed a couple of conversions during the game, but since they were from out wide it's difficult to draw any conclusions. I did see the Georgia goal kicker miss a doozy by a mile, though.

I seem to remember there being similar problems with the balls back in '07 (apparently the balls England were given to practise with weren't the same as the match balls), so perhaps it's just the kickers looking for excuses.

Anyway, lots of excitement so far in the tournament. I thought England looked pretty mediocre at times against Georgia, and if Georgia had had more time to rest after playing Scotland the scoreline might have been closer. As it was, I think the final result flattered England a bit: too many infringements and handling errors that the Georgians didn't capitalise on.

Austrialia looked helpless for much of their Ireland game. I wonder whether Ireland can keep up the passion, though: they might let up now, just having won their biggest pool game.

I didn't see Wales play Samoa, but by all accounts Wales didn't carry over the momentum from their loss against South Africa. If they play Ireland in the quarter final, I wonder who will come out on top.

Phaezen

First Post
I thought England looked pretty mediocre at times against Georgia, and if Georgia had had more time to rest after playing Scotland the scoreline might have been closer. As it was, I think the final result flattered England a bit: too many infringements and handling errors that the Georgians didn't capitalise on.

England have been looking ordinary and I think their disciplinary problems will cost them against tougher opposition. 2 games, 2 yellow cards which they are lucky they weren't punished for.

The smaller teams have complained about the scheduling which givers the top teams more time between matches to recover. Apparently this will be fixed for 2015.

Austrialia looked helpless for much of their Ireland game. I wonder whether Ireland can keep up the passion, though: they might let up now, just having won their biggest pool game.

Well, Ireland have the motivation of facing Wales instead of South Africa in the quarter finals if they win their group. I think that should help them keep focussed.

Dioltach

Legend
Well, things are heating up nicely! Pools B and C, and conceivably D too, are still very much open heading into the last round of games. For quite a few teams, the knock-out stages have already started before the quarter finals.

England are starting to improve, while Scotland look very rusty. That said, the Scots have a tendency to trip up England, so that's one match that can't be predicted with any certainty. Argentina must be fancying their chances to reach the quarter finals, though.

Ireland and Italy looks to be an exciting game, too: if Italy win, and they almost beat the Irish in the Six Nations, it will throw Pool C wide open.

Wales should beat Fiji, who haven't impressed this time round as much as they did in 2007. Still, there's some history there, and a bonus point to Samoa and a Welsh loss could see Wales down in third place (theoretically even fourth place, but I'll go out on a limb and predict that Fiji won't beat Wales by 122 points).

Joker

First Post
Good Irish game versus Italy. And poor Tommy Bowe. Denied again :).

Some great match-ups next week as wel. Ireland v. Wales, France v. England, Australia v. South Africa.

All classic encounters.

Phaezen

First Post
So,

Wales beat Ireland and France beat England to make it through to the Semi's

Looking forward to the South Africa vs Australia matchup tomorrow, should be a big game. New Zealand should be too strong for Argentina.

The interesting repercussion of Ireland beating Australia in the pool match is it sets up a Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere final.

Remove ads