Rwc 2011

Dioltach

Legend
So, who else is looking forward to the Rugby World Cup? I have to say, as an Englishman I'm much more excited about it than I was back in 2007. Of course, we made it to the final with a rather mediocre team, so now anything less will be something of a disappointment.

Actually, I think France might win it this year. The question is whether they can string together enough performances to make it, and adapt quickly enough if their game plan isn't working (like they didn't against England in the last to World Cups). Perhaps they now have the experience to do just that.

Coming off two losses in their last two games of the Tri Nations, I wonder whether the All Blacks might be in a fragile state of mind. We all know that they somehow always fall short in the World Cup: with the knowledge that this is probably the last time the RWC will be held in New Zealand, the pressure might be too much for them again.

Australia will almost certainly do well, as they always do. South Africa will manage to grind their way at least to the semi-finals, I'm sure, but I don't think they have the spark to win it. Wales will probably do better than they have for some time, and will go very far if they can stay free of injury and don't go to pieces (but am I a bad person for not wanting Lee Byrne to play in the final?).

Scotland, Ireland and Italy will be going home fairly early, in my book: it's too early for Andy Robinson's Scotland and Ireland seem to be a bit lacking in bloodymindedness. Italy showed their quality in this year's Six Nations, but I don't think they're capable yet of keeping up sustained performances.

Of the other nations, I hope to see great performances like we did last time from Argentina, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji. I'm afraid that the Pacific Islanders don't have the strength in depth (and usually have to deal with a very tough schedule) to keep it up, though.

All in all, it promises to be great. I think that pretty much any team is capable of causing an upset, and there are quite a few that have what it takes to go all the way.

MacMathan

Explorer
I do enjoy the RWC when I can find it on U.S. tv.

Now that I have given up on cable all together I am hoping there will be an internet feed.

My faith in the All Blacks will probably once again result in crushing disappointment but they are who I am cheering for.

Cor Azer

First Post
I'm torn between the All-blacks and Canada. Dunno if either will do well this year, and with both in the same pool, only one can go on, but here's hoping...

Pinotage

Explorer
Looking forward to it. As New Zealand have shown in past World Cups, they're as much chokers in rugby as South Africa are in cricket. After the past few weeks, my money is on Australia, although I'd much rather New Zealand or South Africa win.

Pinotage

Phaezen

First Post
I am hoping the Springboks (South Africa) can step up their game for the WC, but the team is not looking all that good this year. More of a coaching issue than anything else.

I am expecting one of the Tri-nations teams to win though.

Dioltach

Legend
You might be underestimating the Bokke there, Phaezen: I think this team know how to grind out the wins even if they're not playing their best, like England in 2007.

Opening ceremony should be starting in a short while, and I'll see whether my subscription with a proxy server works!

Phaezen

First Post
Good opening match I thought although the score flatters the Allblacks somewhat. TOnga played with a lot of heart and managed to expose some weaknesses in the AB's frontline which stronger teams could exploit.

That said don't let the AB's backline run at you.

Remove ads