• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

S1: The Strange Case of Aif Jenkins' Farm (E13 judge) - Concluded

SlagMortar

First Post
Beamer keeps a close eye on the orc with the bow, leveling his crossbow, but not firing yet. He thinks about shouting a warning at the orc, but figures he probably doesn't speak common.

OOC: Ready action to fire crossbow at the orc with the bow if the orc fires at the group.

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
ok. At this point, I guess we do need initiatives.
Initiative:
Eusebius, Boog, Beamer, Banion,
Orcs
Juliana
OoC: I'm a little confused. Are those our initiatives, or do we need to roll?

IC: Boog manifested his Power again before dismounting. He saw no reason to send a message over the mindlink just yet...the orcs would decide how this played out. His body started to shimmer, and a low hum began emanating from him. Boog smiled at the orc with the bow, wondering if he had any idea that he would die if he let loose his arrow. He dismounted.

OoC: Don't think I can manifest (standard action), dismount (move action), and approach in the same round, and Boog isn't going to try any fancy horsemanship in order to accomplish that. He isn't threatening the orcs or acting particularly hostile, but if they start something, he'll approach them next turn and finish it.

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: waiting to Juliana's turn, but if Boddynock doesn't post, I suggest he might have at least cast a heal on himself, likely a cure light instead of Shield of Faith.

Manzanita

First Post
OK. Let's assume Eusebius did cast a CLW spell upon himself after the first orc battle. This cured him of 8 pts dmg, bringing him to 27 HPs. He'll drop his shield of faith to do this, leaving him with only one bless spell left for his first level spells.

I'm uncomfortable NPCing PCs. I'd prefer to have one of you take him over. I think El Jefe is the best candidate, as he's adventured with Eusebius before, and Bront is having to cut back his posting. Let's assume that, for whatever reason, Eusebius has delayed acting until after Bront and the orcs. If you don't want to NPC him, El Jefe, let us know, and I, or a player, will volunteer if necessary.

I roll initiatives for everyone. I do this b/c I think it speeds up the game. If anyone is particlar about rolling his own initiative, I'd be happy to accomodate. Just let me know.

Round 1:
Boog manifests his power (hostile emphatic transer?) & dismounts.
Beamer and Banion, like-minded halflings, prepare to let loose at the orc archer, but only if he shoots first.

The archer does. He releases an arrow at Juliana, shouting something in Orc.

Let me know if anyone speaks orc.

The arrow flies wide, but this triggers a reaction from the halflings. I don't think there's a penalty to mounted archery as long as the horse isn't moving. Beamer's bolt flies true, thumping into the orc's stomach. It doesn't die, though, and Banion's mind blade strikes the grass, not even particularly close to the archer.

The orcs to the North and west advance, shouting battle cries.

The wooden window shutters near the halflings horse is thrown open, and an orc face appears, aiming a bow. From the farmhouse door, three orcs charge forth, armed with longswords and heavy wooded sheilds.

The wardog charges forward with the orcs, though it quickly outdistances its two-legged masters. It is a large rotweiler-type, with a studded leather collar. It leaps at the warhorse carrying the halflings. The horse rears up and fends off the beast.

The horse's defensive action threatens to throw the halflings. Both must make ride checks DC 7 to stay in the saddle. (I'm increasing the ride check by 2 for them since their mount is larger than usual, and they're sharing a saddle.)

Eusebius and Juliana can still act in round 1. Boog will be up first in round 2. I think the halflings next action is after the orcs since they readied an action that was set off by the orc's action, but correct me if I'm wrong. Eusebius, Juliana and the halflings are all still mounted.

Attachments

• farm.JPG
    farm.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 69

Patlin

Explorer

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
I'm uncomfortable NPCing PCs. I'd prefer to have one of you take him over. I think El Jefe is the best candidate, as he's adventured with Eusebius before, and Bront is having to cut back his posting. Let's assume that, for whatever reason, Eusebius has delayed acting until after Bront and the orcs. If you don't want to NPC him, El Jefe, let us know, and I, or a player, will volunteer if necessary.
OoC: Manz, I really don't feel up to this. I have two adventures now that are dying because I've been doing a poor job of keeping up with them, and my posts for my own characters aren't up to my usual standards. I beg your indulgence here.
Manzanita said:
Round 1:
Boog manifests his power (hostile emphatic transer?) & dismounts.
OoC: Sorry, hostile empathic transfer is correct. Boog should be at 20/34 PP, 21/29 HP.
Manzanita said:
Eusebius and Juliana can still act in round 1. Boog will be up first in round 2.
Boog drew his dagger and marched confidently up to the orc with the bow at the window. He'd stab the bugger through the window if he could, or climb through the window while the mug reloaded if he couldn't. And should one of those arrows connect, that iridescent sheen about Boog's body promised that the orc would be repaid for his trouble.

Patlin

Explorer
El Jefe said:
OoC: Manz, I really don't feel up to this. I have two adventures now that are dying because I've been doing a poor job of keeping up with them, and my posts for my own characters aren't up to my usual standards.

ooc: Seriously, man, feel free to cut back on some of these things. If you don't, you'll burn yourself out and we'll lose you entirely, which would be bad for all of LEW!

SlagMortar

First Post
Over the mindlink, Three groups, two with axes and one with swords. Did we stumble into a fight between orc tribes, axes vs swords? Does anyone know what that one said?
Beamer clings nimbly to the saddle as the horse rears, but slips off the back once its feet are all back on the ground. He flings a handful of dust in the direction of the three orcs to the north an the air around them fills with glittering burst. Beamer changes his mind after Boog's thoughts (posted below) and targets his glitterdust at the closer orcs.

OOC: Looks like no one speaks orc.
ride check (1d20+4=21)
balance (1d20+4=15) to dismount without mishap
Glitterdust at O10 catching as many as possible without hitting any allies. Will DC 15 or blinded.
Spells remaining:
0th: 6, 1st: 5, 2nd: 2
Mage armor still in effect: AC 19
Bolts fired: 1

Last edited:

El Jefe

First Post
SlagMortar said:
Three groups, two with axes and one with swords. Did we stumble into a fight between orc tribes, axes vs swords? Does anyone know what that one said?
As he grimly advanced toward the window, Boog thought back to the hafling: "Who cares? Kill the ones with swords...let the ones with axes decide whose side they want to be on!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads