• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

S3: The Scythe of Seto (Bront Judging)[Completed]

Manzanita

First Post
Shopping done, the group leaves Beth Hannon the next morning, to continue their journey. In this case, they find themselves traveling alongside a wagon pulled by two heavy horses, with one outrider. There are two armed guards on the wagon and two nicely dressed women. The women are friendly and tell the group that they are delivering some goods to Havertown. This group stays near the party all day. As darkness nears, they ask if they can camp next to the party for mutual safetly.

rln

Explorer
Ogrin chats with the other travellers a little during the latter parts of the day, since they're nearby anyway. Unless he gets a bad feeling about them, he has no objections to sharing camp. Regardless, he'll attempt to impress them with his exploits.

"...so, we were runnin' from these hellbugs, up the stairs an' over the cracked floor, and would you believe it, it breaks! That was a close call, eh, Razh?"

OOC: Sense motive -1

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Aye, blasted bugs almost cost us our lives," Rasereit nods gravely. He's fine with sharing the campsite as well, but he defers to Eusebius as the de facto leader of the band.

Manzanita

First Post
I've noticed that Boddynocks hasn't seemed to give this thread much attention of late. Maybe his subscription's loss has derailed him. He is the defacto leader, though, is he not. I'll assume he offers no protest to sharing a campsite with those who seek his protection. No one senses anything out of the ordinary with their story.

The wagon parks next to the party's horses, and the group gather wood to share a fire. The women are quite pleasent, showing appropriate interest in the party's adventures. They, evidently, have lost their husbands to war, and have taken upon themselves to start a trading company. They've hired these three guards, one of whom is the younger woman's cousin. The younger woman is broad and jovial, though not pretty, and goes by Jolene. The older one, Whendy, is better looking, and a good listener. The cousin proves to have a bad hair-lip and doesn't say much.

The three guards will split duty for their party, with the women sleeping under the wagon.

Please feel free to ask more questions of these folks or role play as you wish. Also, please state any particular precautions you use this night, and other nights you camp. Do you rotate one sentry? Where does Beamer put the scythe case while he sleeps?

SlagMortar

First Post
Beamer tries to give the impression that he is one of little consequence so neither accepts nor denies the invitation. He goes along with Rasereit's stories of adventures saying things like "Yeah, that's just how it happened" in a tone of awe when he happens to know a story. He beds down near Banion and Eusebius. He does eye each of the guards closely to make sure none appears to Lothar or Toler.

With these new folks, Beamer has Louie (his familiar) hide (+14) near him and keep watch while Beamer sleeps, waking Beamer if any of the new people comes near.

OOC:
The scythe is stored in Beamer's Handy Haversack. Beamer's been chased for a long time so he sleeps with his haversack under his arm, especially now that he has the scythe.
Louie now has intelligence of 8 and speaks a common language with Beamer so Louie should be a pretty effective watcher.
My (as a player) suspicions are up, but I think Beamer is pretty paranoid at this point and having the scythe in his possession only makes him more so. I really don't feel like all the precautions are metagaming.

Patlin

Explorer
Banion has no desire to be leader, though he'd be most inclined to follow Beamer's advice should it conflict with anyone elses. If Brother E is willing to lead, Banion's willing to follow.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: By the way, with the scythe in an extra planar container, I would think it would have trouble exerting its influence on anyone outside the container.

Boddynock

First Post
Manzanita said:
I've noticed that Boddynocks hasn't seemed to give this thread much attention of late. Maybe his subscription's loss has derailed him.
OOC: Sorry about that. I'm still keeping tabs but the pre-Christmas flurry has taken its toll, not to mention the fact that I'm having trouble juggling all my ENWorld commitments as judge, character judge, DM (supposedly) and player in other games. :eek:

Eusebius certainly has no objection to the others camping with them - but he makes extra sure that Beamer is not left unguarded at any time, arranging with Banion or with Razh to keep an eye on him at those times when he, Eusebius, is absent.

With the other three guards joining in, E will arrange four two-hour shifts with two guards per shift. He makes sure that Beamer is only ever on guard with one of his own party.

Remove ads