Sagiro's Story Hour: Now That It's Over


log in or register to remove this ad


Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
In the middle of reading the second book, greatly enjoying it. It's been a long time since I read the campaign though... so I forget: what system were you using to run the game?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app
 

SolitonMan

Explorer
How far into the story hour does book 1 and book 2 take you? (IOW, how many books will there be to complete the story hour? :) )

I'd estimate the first two books cover about half of Part 1 of StevenAC's collected Story Hour PDFs. Give or take a bit (not sure how much commentary is included in the PDFs).
 

remetagross

First Post
Just finished the whole campaign, after having discovered it in a GitP thread suggesting good campaign logs to read...
Well now I don't want to read anything else, because it most likely won't be as incredibly good as this one :D once again, congrats Sagiro - you turned the fun at your table into an incredibly immersing and heartracing story for us all to read. And you stayed commited to your story hour for so long ^^ I for one particularly liked the lack of epilogue, after a second of disappointment; it really showed how all was said and done, and that the characters so seflessly sacrificed themselves to save Abernia that, as long as the world lives on, their fate does not really matter.
 

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
In the middle of reading the second book, greatly enjoying it. It's been a long time since I read the campaign though... so I forget: what system were you using to run the game?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Glad to hear you're enjoying the book! (And please consider leaving a review on Amazon/Goodreads when you're done. :) ) The original campaign started in 2nd Edition D&D, moved through 3rd Edition, and finished up in 3.5E.

As of early February, I'm about 40% done with the first draft of Book 3.
 

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
How far into the story hour does book 1 and book 2 take you? (IOW, how many books will there be to complete the story hour? :) )

The books don't map perfectly to the campaign, since I changed a bunch of stuff, dropped some side-quests, etc., but

Book 1, The Ventifact Colossus, goes through (shockingly) the summoning of the eponymous beastie.
Book 2, The Crosser's Maze, covers the entire journey across Kivia to find (shockingly) the eponymous artifact.

[Warning: Spoilers ahoy in the following descriptions!)

Book 3, tentatively titled The Portal in the Woods, will cover the short period of time between the party's return to Charagan, and the Battle of Verdshane.
Book 4, tentatively titled The Infinite Tower, will be primarily about the journey into Het Branoi to retrieve the third Eye of Moirel.
Book 5, tentatively titled A Splinter in the Heart of the World, will be primarily about the party's journey into the subterranean depths of Spira to prevent the arrival of the Adversary.

There is, I'd estimate, about a 10% chance that either Book 4 or book 5 will be long enough that I'll have to split it into two volumes. But right now I'd say 90% likely the series ends with five books.
 


Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Hey there!

It's difficult to tell from the way you phrased it, but in case you don't know: Book 2 -- The Crosser's Maze -- is already out and available on Amazon.

The stats for Null Shadows are included in StevenAC's PDF compilation of the Story Hour. If you go here:

http://stevenac.net/sagiro/SH_Part_1.pdf

...and search for "Greater Null Shadow" (or just scroll to page 282) you'll see them written up. Note that this was many years ago, and so the stat block is a 3rd edition relic.
 

carborundum

Adventurer
That reminded me to go reread the whole SH. Ik currently up to page 397 of part one and loving it once again! The masterful juggling of plot threads and the occasional RB-ness (eg Farazil and Ernie's mom) is wonderful, and inspiring too!
We've been playing published adventures for years now, due to jobs and kids, but I'm very tempted to get my own campaign together again. So thanks again, Sagiro!

And male-Aravis seems weird now! :)
 

Teflonknight

Explorer
I haven’t read this entire thread but I was curious about the reasons behind a couple of changes.

1) Why did you choose for Mrs. Horn to remain dead and not be resurrected?

2) Why did you choose to make the entire party humans as opposed to the races they were in the story hour.

Both books were good and I think you really hit your stride in book 2. I am rereading the story hour to fill the gap until book 3 comes out next year.
 

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Hey there, Teflonknight!

First off, for your benefit and that of anyone else still following this thread: I've just today put up on my website chapter-by-chapter summaries of The Ventifact Colossus and The Crosser's Maze. That way, when book 3 comes out, readers who don't have the time to go back and re-read the earlier books can catch themselves up in about 45-60 minutes.

https://dorianhart.com/the-ventifact-colossus-in-20-minutes/
https://dorianhart.com/the-crossers-maze-in-half-an-hour/

To answer your questions:

1) This one has a two-part answer: a) Resurrection isn't a standard part of how the world works. Its existence would have been a can of worms I didn't want to open. b) As you may guess from the epilogue of The Crosser's Maze, Mrs. Horn's role in the series is not over, not by a long shot.

2) Similarly, the existence of classic D&D races was a can-of-worms decision. Having elves and dwarves and halflings would have necessitated (IMHO) a lot of cultural and political explanations and setting-work not central to my vision of the series. Also, while I'm happy that my books have a "D&D" feel, I think having races right out of the PH might have gone a bit too far in that direction. :)

Glad you're enjoying the books! I've finished the initial draft and revisions of Book 3 ("The Greatwood Portal") and am about to send it out to my team of readers.
 

Teflonknight

Explorer
Quick question: I noticed while reading the campaign write up again that it is revealed that the emperor allowed himself to be banished. Did you ever reveal why?
 

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
I don't think I ever explicitly revealed it, but in my mind, it was because he knew his banishment was inevitable, and he wanted to go on his own terms, taking as much of his strength/magic/power with him as possible. It was a bit hand-wavy, admittedly.
 

SolitonMan

Explorer
I'm reading the collected story hour again, and I'm wondering, Sagiro, if you had planned out what the party would have found had they left the Slice in which they met the Solfar and investigated the place from which the Screel came. If so, what was it? :)
 

Everett

First Post
Last time I posted in this thread was 2 and 1/2 years ago; the campaign ended more than 5 years ago. Unreal.

Sagiro, where's book 3 at? What with George RR Martin making noises about never finishing his series I guess I just wanted to touch in here.

Not that you're George RR Martin. For one you're not likely to die inside a decade. But still and all. I just want an epic spell that gives me Sagiro's world back in my life for a bit.
 



Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Finished it! I have to say, the novels just keep getting better and better. Character development is fabulous, and having read the SH many times, I like the little foreshadowing items I see, as well as twists that are brand new. Highly recommended! :)

Thanks for the post, I had forgotten about this. Time to place an order...
 


An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top