• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Sagiro: can you give us a quick recap (or just point us to the relevant parts of Steven AC's collected Story Hour) of Tarsos and Seven Dark Words? I remember Meledien as one of Octesian's red-armored compatriots, but that's all.

Sure. Tarsos was a red-armored warrior who escaped from the Battle of Verdshane -- the battle where the Emperor's invasion was foiled by Aravis's use of the Crosser's Maze. Tarsos later joined up with Meledien and the two of them stormed Naslund, Graveyard of the Gods, where they stole Wards necessary to survive in the presence of true divinity. (Ernie was given the last of these, by Naslund's single surviving caretaker.)

Seven Dark Words was the Black Circle mastermind and architect of Het Branoi. He was driven mad by Het Branoi's failure, and became the "mad sculptor" wandering the Slices, carving statuettes of Kibi.

After the dissolution of Het Branoi, Seven Dark Words regained his sanity and joined up with Tarsos and Meledien. Now the three of them are several months ahead of the Company, as they descend into the Underdark to (presumably) locate, and then do something bad with, the deeply-buried Hand of the Adversary.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
What levels and how well equipped are they now? Since a Chichimec was only a little more than a speedbump, I'm guessing that they're in the lowish 20s and all have epic weapons.
I believe everyone in the party was exactly 20th level during this fight. There were several factors that made it an easy battle for the party:

- A Chichimec is 'only' a CR 21 creature, and I took away its wail of the banshee power and replaced it with energy drain.
- The party has 7 people, and 7 PC's of level N vs. a single monster of CR N+1 doesn't rate to be that difficult.
- The party had two Epic Weapons -- Ell's Will and Honor of Nemmin -- but I don't think either of them were used in this battle.
- The players rolled absurdly well on their spell penetration rolls. The Chichimec had SR 33, but the level 20 PC's met that about 75% of the time.
- Conversely, when the monster hit Dranko with energy drain, I rolled a 3 on 2d4.
- The Chichimec and its summoned elemetals doggedly focused on Dranko, who's the hardest of the PC's to kill.
- The Chichimec was immune to electricity and resistant to fire and cold, but Grey Wolf did a ton of acid damage, and the poor beast had nothing it could do about that.

Quartz

Hero
Ah, rolling dice well helps a lot. I'm glad you let the Charisma drain be not permanent. That's one of the things I really dislike about a number of the monsters in the ELH.

coyote6

Adventurer
The needed "one for what is in his head" would be Dranko, of course.

Or Aravis - the Crosser's Maze.

"One to channel what makes dead"... Aravis? Something to do with necromancy?

Gotta be negative energy. That's what makes things dead most directly. Maybe one of the three is needed - any of them a cleric? Or Morningstar or Ernie, to cast inflict or harm or the like.

"Drive the spike" - if "spike" is a poetic way to say "sword", that could be Bostock or Honor of Nemmin (if I remember which weapons are swords correctly).

Maybe the shell is the barrier? Who can "rend" that?

Zelc

First Post
Let's take another look at Leantha's book.
Inside are a series of beautiful child's drawings – as if an artistic genius had been tasked to create the works in the style of a toddler. Slowly Aravis turns each page, committing each drawing to memory.

The first page shows a map of the known world, with Charagan at the western edge, Kivia at the eastern edge, and the Uncrossable Sea between them. Not far from the center, but somewhat to the north, is a small island.

On the second page there is a great castle. In the doorway of the castle, a huge, dark male figure is being stabbed in the back by a smaller female figure with a long golden sword. The sword is shattering from the blow. Outside the castle seven others are fleeing, as are hundreds of tiny figures at their feet.

The third page pictures a fissure in the side of an immense cliff. Two stones with embedded Divination Sinks, like the ones the party found at Het Branoi, sit on the ground outside of the fissure.

Across the next two pages is a drawing of a Sharshun woman, her face a hidden shadow, holding aloft a long, serrated golden dagger. It is clear from the coloring and artistic style that this golden dagger and the shattering golden sword are, at very least, made from the same metal.

The sixth page shows a dwarf with a well-groomed beard, and a pile of rocks at his feet. The dwarf holds aloft that same golden dagger. He is smiling.

On the seventh page is drawn an ambiguous humanoid figure, wearing the distinctive uniform of the Spire Guard, lying dead, the golden dagger clutched in one hand.

Drawn large on the eighth page is an image of a Ward of Drosh, hanging from its necklace.

The ninth page shows a scarred man with protruding tusks and white priestly robes. He is shouting as if in great pain, while blood runs from his eyes.

And on the tenth and final page is shown a silver coin emblazoned with a lightning bolt – Laramon’s holy symbol.

/*/

The party talks at great length about the pictures in Leantha’s book. They all agree that the dark figure being stabbed with the golden sword is the Adversary, and that the stabber is Uthol Inga. The other seven figures must be the remaining Travelers: Brechen, Delioch, Ell, Werthis and Corilayna, as well as the deceased Caba and Aranod.

The fissure with the divination sinks is a mystery, though the most popular theory is that it’s the entrance to the Sharshun headquarters hidden in the Greatwood. They’re more certain that the Sharshun woman holding the golden dagger is Darkeye, and Farazil confirms that Darkeye is rumored to possess a powerful dagger known as the Watcher’s Kiss.

The exultant dwarf holding the dagger is obviously Kibi, and the half-orc bleeding from the eyes is clearly Dranko. (“Ugh,” Dranko grumbles. “Kibi gets to smile, and I get to scream while my head explodes. Great.”)

As for the dead figure wearing the raiment of the Spire Guard – who knows? It could be one of the Company, though Dranko is inclined (with no real evidence, admittedly) to think it’s Rosetta.

The picture of the Ward of Drosh is a dead-on match for the one given to the party by Viersk in Naslund. As for the silver coin, it’s the symbol of Laramon, Kivian Demigod of Luck. With Corilayna having fled with the coming of the Adversary, it makes sense that Laramon may be extending his influence throughout the world. As for its meaning, the Company agrees that Leantha is telling them that to defeat the Adversary, they’re going to need good luck, and lots of it.

…to be continued…

Now back to the Croaking Oracle's riddle:

Seven haste, and roll the dice,
Spun by fortune’s sacrifice.

Dranko peers into the Cauldron of Lies. At first he thinks it’s empty, but then he sees that the bottom third of its volume is swirling with thick black vapors. Aravis picks up the obsidian-capped stick, dips it into the cauldron, and begins to stir. He feels a tingle in his hands, and experiences a tactile illusion of the stick becoming slimy and befouled. As the seconds tick by, a deep malaise comes over him, a despairing lethargy that threatens to overwhelm his senses. But he stays focused, girds his will, and continues to swirl the vapors.

After a minute or two of this, the vapors leap vigorously from the iron vessel, filling the air above it and forming into words as if pressed onto an invisible tablet. The others cannot make out the forms of the letters, but Aravis can read their message clearly.

Corilayna has indeed joined Drosh in the Crosser’s Maze.
Very interesting! It seems like Corilayna got killed or sacrificed herself for some purpose. Leantha's book also has the holy symbol of Laramon. Maybe that is related?

One to take the shell and rend.
The only shell I remember from this story is the Silver Shell. Isn't Rosetta making an appearance soon?

One for what is in his head.
This is probably Dranko.

One to channel what makes dead.
I wonder if the Ward of Drosh is related?

One at last, but not yet known.
One forever dead as stone.
One to drive the spike clean through.
One to die, and hope renew.

Kibi stirs the cauldron, and fights his way through the unnatural depression it brings. The smoke rises before him, and brings this message:

The Cranchus you remember is alive and well.

Crazy theory: The dwarf with the rocks in Leantha's book is not Kibi, it's Cranchus. He somehow became "dead as stone".

One brings many, flame’s design.
The only flame of significance I remember is the Burning God. Didn't Tor's father, Davarian Firemount, take over Thewana's body? Last I heard, this story arc was unresolved. Maybe they have something to do with this?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Alright. Let'sssseeee...

CALL THE BOOKIES!
Lay the odds
Steel Dragons' guesses,
Jus' because. ;)

One brings many, flame’s design.
One does also, all malign.
One trip started, one trip done.
One loves all, and one hates one.

The One that brings many would be the Adversary...he's the root of why everyone [good and bad guys] is racing down here, isn't he?
"...all malign" could be another reference to the Adversary...or the first line is someone from the Evil Trio and this line is about the Adversary...or vice versa.

The trip seems evident to the party's ending of their journey's above ground and the start of their trip into the Underdark.

One who loves one...might be Ernie, I'm thinking.
One who hates one...my money's going on Morningstar for Meledien.

OR, both of these are referencing members of the Evil Trio [or new/added foes to come?]...making the whole stanza refer to the Evil part of the equation.

Three are bringing, now in place.
Three have won the downward race.
Seven haste, and roll the dice,
Spun by fortune’s sacrifice.

Obvious. The Evil Trio and the Seven party members.

Four are needed, ‘fore the end.
One to take the shell and rend.
One for what is in his head.
One to channel what makes dead.

Nowwwwww the prophecy....[lol. "NOW a warning?!" lol]

The one who's gotta take the shell and rend...ya got me. THAT could be Dranko...having to rip [rend] open his head [shell] for the power/tentacular goodness inside...needed to defeat whatever's to come. It could also be Aravis...ripping open the "shell" of the dimensional Crosser's Maze...something I figure it would take a "god" to do...I will defer to other's assertions about something to do with Grey Wolf's past, as that escapes me right now. My final conclusion, since other's seem to fit other lines, I'll lay my odds on Aravis, here.

"...to channel what makes dead." That's another crap shoot. What makes dead? Yes, necrotic energy, but in simpler terms...WOUNDS! Damage and wounds make you dead...who channels that? Yeeup, another Ernie or Morningstar toss up. As Monringstar had that big to do of demonstrating her ability (more than once, I believe) to bring folks back from teh dead, my money's on Morningstar.

One at last, but not yet known.
One forever dead as stone.
One to drive the spike clean through.
One to die, and hope renew.

One at last but not yet known...I'm thinking this is a reference to Rosetta...dunno why...Just do.

One forever dead as stone...this is either referring Flicker (as the DMNPC he can be killed off for good) OR, there's a WAMPEER down here someplace! Forever dead as stone...someone has to drive a stake through?...One to die and hope renew...I'm thinking, this is going to be a big "finale" scene of one of the heroes battling some grand daddy of all vampires and dying in the process...Grey Wolf might do this also...

On the other hand..."dead as stone"...driving spikes...One of Kibi's favored spells/tactics far as I've read is casting Spike Stones...so maybe this is something to do with Kibi and some big earth magic throw down...but I'm leaning toward Flicker's gonna bite it.

One last journey then to make.
One last prison bar to break.
One last thread of fate to pull.
One last circle to come full.

a.k.a. "This is the absolute last adventure these guys are going on." Be sad, be very very sad. :(

Everett

First Post
"One for what is in his head..."

Or Aravis - the Crosser's Maze.

But he doesn't have it anymore. Steeldragon also mentioned that as a possibility. It's just an intuitive feeling, but I don't think the Crosser's Maze is going to play a role in the endgame. Aravis' "ghost" -- the piece of himself he sent off -- is still out there, and could show up, but it certainly isn't "in his head." I think that's got to be Dranko.

coyote6 said:
Gotta be negative energy. That's what makes things dead most directly. Maybe one of the three is needed - any of them a cleric? Or Morningstar or Ernie, to cast inflict or harm or the like.

I've long since forgotten what Morningstar's class actually is -- Sagiro? -- but she seems the most likely. None of the evil trio are clerics.

coyote6 said:
"Drive the spike" - if "spike" is a poetic way to say "sword", that could be Bostock or Honor of Nemmin (if I remember which weapons are swords correctly).

Bostock is the more likely suspect. Honor of Nemmin isn't a sentient weapon.

coyote6 said:
Maybe the shell is the barrier? Who can "rend" that?

Well, Kibi is the Opener...

steeldragons said:
One who loves one...might be Ernie, I'm thinking.

You're misquoting. If the prophecy had been "one loves one", Ernie would work -- he loves Yoba -- but it was "one loves all." That ain't Ernie.

steeldragons said:
"...to channel what makes dead." That's another crap shoot. What makes dead? Yes, necrotic energy, but in simpler terms...WOUNDS! Damage and wounds make you dead...who channels that? Yeeup, another Ernie or Morningstar toss up. As Monringstar had that big to do of demonstrating her ability (more than once, I believe) to bring folks back from teh dead, my money's on Morningstar.

She is the Slayer, after all, and she's the most no-nonsense of all the party when it comes to dispatching foes. I can go for this theory.

Last edited:

Everett

First Post
"One brings many, flame's design."

The only flame of significance I remember is the Burning God. Didn't Tor's father, Davarian Firemount, take over Thewana's body? Last I heard, this story arc was unresolved. Maybe they have something to do with this?

I wouldn't count on Tor having anything to do with the endgame. I mentioned his unresolved story arcs some time ago and Piratecat indicated as much...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I bet they were hoping for something more like "ready oil and open flame light the way to victory".
Yes. Yes we were.

- The Chichimec and its summoned elemetals doggedly focused on Dranko, who's the hardest of the PC's to kill.
Seriously. What's up with that? Clearly, someone or something has a grudge against poor Dranko, and that grudge involves epic level monsters. This bodes poorly.

Very interesting! It seems like Corilayna got killed or sacrificed herself for some purpose. Leantha's book also has the holy symbol of Laramon. Maybe that is related?
Where the heck were you years ago, when we NEVER PUT THIS TOGETHER?
EDIT: to be more specific, we never gave much thought to Corilayna and what happened to her, kind of assuming she just buggered off to a place where Gods go. We should have given it more thought.

Last edited:

Zelc

First Post
Where the heck were you years ago, when we NEVER PUT THIS TOGETHER?
Not playing in this awesome campaign? :.-( But yay, 1 out of 6 isn't bad :).

Seriously. What's up with that? Clearly, someone or something has a grudge against poor Dranko, and that grudge involves epic level monsters. This bodes poorly.
Tapheon has forgotten all about his encounter with Dranko.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads