• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I would've sided with Ernie and Grey Wolf. I didn't understand how Dranko could know that the cigar-smoke referred to Tapheon -- nor, for that matter, do I really get why Tapheon couldn't bear to have creatures from the Far Realms in his presence. It doesn't bother anyone else; why does it disturb a near-omnipotent demon?

That is a fabulous question. The likely answer is that what's inside Dranko isn't a Far Realms creature. It's some swollen, putrescent nugget of information too horrible to touch with his brain. Even brushing up against it erodes his sanity. The fact that it's too horrible for a demon lord is... troubling.

And how did I know? I dunno. But I knew it with utter certainty, the same way that I once realized beyond doubt that we were stuck in a city inside a bottle, even if we had no particular proof. I'd have felt pretty stupid if I was wrong, but I was literally willing to bet my character's life on it. Sometimes you have to have faith, in the story and the DM as much as in your character's convictions.

This was, I think, my favorite session (out of so many amazing games) in the entire campaign. Incredibly satisfying, and asking as many questions as it answered. It also brought up some really emotional discussion with the group at the meta-level as to what was appropriate and what wasn't. I value that even more than the game itself.

Everett

First Post
That is a fabulous question. The likely answer is that what's inside Dranko isn't a Far Realms creature. It's some swollen, putrescent nugget of information too horrible to touch with his brain. Even brushing up against it erodes his sanity. The fact that it's too horrible for a demon lord is... troubling.

This was, I think, my favorite session (out of so many amazing games) in the entire campaign. Incredibly satisfying, and asking as many questions as it answered. It also brought up some really fascinating, emotional discussion with the group at the meta-level as to what was appropriate and what wasn't. I value that even more than the game itself.

Interesting. Perhaps we need to see, if not that OOC discussion, some facsimile of it in the Story Hour. Reading this update, I felt that I needed more context the entire time.

Also -- how did this Summoner, who's out of scrolls, get inside an MMM cast by Aravis, an epic-level Wizard? Forced entry is outside of her forte.

Everett

First Post

While that is fascinating, it also begs the question of how and why this infinitely horrible nugget of information never affects Dranko adversely in any way. (I've never seen it erode his sanity somehow in the SH.) The tentacles never manifest unless he wants them to. I hope the last 11 posts will reveal more about it...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
While that is fascinating, it also begs the question of how and why this infinitely horrible nugget of information never affects Dranko adversely in any way. (I've never seen it erode his sanity somehow in the SH.) The tentacles never manifest unless he wants them to. I hope the last 11 posts will reveal more about it...
I think it's just the nature of serial storytelling. I can remember more than a half dozen mentions here in the storyhour of his sanity (wisdom) taking a hit, nearly every time he draws on the power, but there's no reason to remember it unless you were looking for it.

Mechanically, his wisdom dropped every time he called on its power. Starting at an 13 wisdom or so, one or two uses meant no more clerical spellcasting for a day. I was careful not to use it too often. I guarantee we learn more about it, even if I wish we didn't. But no spoilers from me!

Kaodi

Hero
I must admit I am a bit wary of where all this is going in the home stretch. Twelve sessions does not seem like a lot to cover the remaining ground unless everything sort of happens all at once or something unfortunate happens...

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
I must admit I am a bit wary of where all this is going in the home stretch. Twelve sessions does not seem like a lot to cover the remaining ground unless everything sort of happens all at once or something unfortunate happens...

This comment makes me curious. What remaining ground do you think there is still to cover? I mean, beyond the obvious "race to stop Seven Dark Words & Co. from causing the Adversary to arrive/wake up/whatever it is they have planned?" :)

Everett

First Post
This comment makes me curious. What remaining ground do you think there is still to cover? I mean, beyond the obvious "race to stop Seven Dark Words & Co. from causing the Adversary to arrive/wake up/whatever it is they have planned?" :)

Yeah, thanks to the narrative device of Crosser's Maze visions, everything on the surface takes care of itself.

Everett

First Post
I think it's just the nature of serial storytelling. I can remember more than a half dozen mentions here in the storyhour of his sanity (wisdom) taking a hit, nearly every time he draws on the power, but there's no reason to remember it unless you were looking for it.

Mechanically, his wisdom dropped every time he called on its power. Starting at an 13 wisdom or so, one or two uses meant no more clerical spellcasting for a day. I was careful not to use it too often.

Right -- I'm aware that he took a Wisdom hit every time he drew on the power. That's clear in the SH.

But to have this unspeakable knowledge of... something... in his brain all the time, and for it not to affect him at intervals even if he doesn't draw on Time Stop or the other powers granted by it -- I'd think it would be sort of like having some magical brain disease, unless the Far Realms creatures were extra-careful to package magical bubble-wrap around it inside Dranko's brain. That's what's bugging me. I have no idea if the Cleaners put the Horrible Nugget there for a purpose, or if it's just a totally impartial thing on their part due to the nature of the deal that was struck.

Kaodi

Hero

I am not as good at keeping track of all the details as some of the others, so maybe I am just overestimating. I might have mixed up too that catching SDW&Co. was the same as stopping the Adversary. I kind of thought we still had chase + interludes + fight w/ SDW&Co. + fight with Adversary left. And this campaign has not lacked for interludes, ;) .

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads