D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

"That's a god?" Ellina looks nervously at the floating figure. "Are you sure it's ... safe?"
"I've seen people worship a lot of things as Gods. Why not a giant rock?" Alvin throws some gallows humor out, as the situation quickly escalates.
A dead God the Giff interjects.

'They mummify or fossilize and then float around in this space. They're mostly safe... depending on the inhabitants.'
Then he looks around for anything another crew member is doing that looks like it takes raw strength, and bolts over to help them do it. It's the best way he knows to help, unless he's given orders to the contrary.

OK, i'll get back to you in a second.

Just waiting on the Fighter and his HP roll and what he wants to do.

@Zubatcarteira

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Hmm...I'm going to cast a 5th-level fly on all other player characters except me and Bartholomew while everyone is scrambling.

Edit: unless the Astral Plane allows free movement. If that's the case, I'll not cast that spell.

Last edited:

Edit: unless the Astral Plane allows free movement. If that's the case, I'll not cast that spell.
Subjective gravity.

Effectively everyone has walking speed of (3 x Int) rounded to the nearest 5, in any direction.

That said, see below for the effects of the storm.

Heroe's Feast: 2d10 (8, 6) = 14
Roger.

-------

The Bard and the Cleric -despite their poor attempts - both motivate the crew - you can both have inspiration. At least you were trying!

The ship pulls towards the Dead God, the storm getting ever closer as the winds, visibility and the psychic murmuring in your heads all worsen.

As you close to within a few hundred feet of the fossilized dead deity to shelter from the storm, you all spot a strange thing indeed (and it's been a day for strange things!).

A Large Red Dragon, bearing a rider in ornate Silver Full Plate, and an equally ornate Silver greatsword, circles over the petrified remains and perches there, in a sheltered area of the mummified corpse. At the same time, another Astral Ship, smaller than your vessel, but moving much quicker also crests the Dead God, on a heading straight for you!

On board the smaller faster ship you see several yellow skinned humanoid creatures bearing Greatswords and also wearing ornate armor. A bedraggled and forlorn yellow skinned humanoid with a tattered red mohawk steers the vessel from some glowing orb device that is surely the helm located at the rear of the ship. Unlike the rest, he bears no weapons or armor.

A final yellow skinned creature, in more ornate plate than the others, a shield and a sword in hand, but otherwise identical in appearance to the helmsman (down to the red mohawk), stands on the front of the ship. He motions and barks orders to the others. Flitting around him are identical copies making him hard to single out, and a glowing blue transparent globe of magic also emanates from him, covering him completely.

Grogbeard tries to turn the ship around, but to no avail; the storm is behind him and ship will not turn. The smaller ship is much faster and will be on you in a matter of a round or two!

Despite this, the Dragon (and its rider) seem content to sit back, and watch... for the time being at least.

----------------------------------

Current conditions are: Heavy wind and Dim light. Ranged weapon attacks are at disadvantage, and due to the gloom and wind, so are Perception checks relying on sight and sound (so most of them). Non-magical flight is impossible, and the strong wind is treated as difficult terrain for flying creatures that rely on magic, and precludes astral travel NOT anchored to anything (i.e. with 'down' being a solid surface).

Lets roll initiative at this point; the bad guys are around 200' away and closing fast; they'll be on you at the start of round 2.

1624542999495.png

Initiative = 16
---------------

"I don't suppose they are happy to see us. Astral Pirates? Or are we intruding on their territory?" He throws back to Grogbeard, roaring over the astral winds as he watches the other ship approaching rapidly. "Do we have anyone on board who knows their language; Parlay?"

Regardless of his words, Alvin stands firm to the deck of the ship and does his best to look confident in the face of danger. Lead by example. "Gather around and I'll say a prayer to our good fortune, and wish us well through this."

-----------------
Ready Action: Emboldening Bond after a few seconds, giving the party one round to get within 30 feet of him. If any party member does not get within range, I'll use it on the next best person (Mr. Christian > Grogbeard > etc)).

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Initiative: [20]+3=23 and here lies the last good dice roll I'll probably ever have.

"I assume these people aren't here to have any form of Parley?"

On her turn, Galvich is going to rise above the ship about 35ft (using astral movement (or 15 if movement is restricted due to heavy winds)). She is going to exclaim as loudly as she can "We are assuming hostile intentions if you approach any closer without disarming yourselves! State your intentions!"

If they respond with hostile intentions or appear to want to continue moving, I will cast Empowered Fireball at the small ship with my Staff of Magi (7th-level).

Galvich twirls her staff while fire spews from it like a spinning torch. She points it at her targets and a bead of incredible magical power launches out before erupting in an explosion of roaring orange flames.

Damage [1]+[1]+[3]+[5]+[4]+[5]+[5]+[5]+[3]+[1]+[6]+[6]+[6]+[5]+[3]+[2] +5 = 60 Fire Damage

On as many of their crew as possible (30 on successful save).

Last edited:

Remove ads