Sandman Trailer (and Neil Gaiman commentary)

not familiar with the comics. felt this started strong (was this a bunch of short stories compiled?)

it started really well but then the second 1/2 became a chore and the ending left a lot to be desired (no pun intended) . i wanted more of entitys introduced but then went away. now i enjoyed the characters introduced into the second part but it felt like it was done before.

casting for the most part with supporting characters was great. howell, dance, hamill thewlis, christie, park were interesting

cereal was probably the hardest to get through

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Just got through the Diner episode. The tension in that episode was intense, very well. Thewelis knocking it out of the park.

It gets draining though when 90% of the human characters we're introduced to are killed mostly pretty horribly. Kind of dulls the impact of the cast and characters being actually pretty diverse. Look at all of our queer and/or POC characters! Watch as we make them suffer and die!

briggart

Adventurer
not familiar with the comics. felt this started strong (was this a bunch of short stories compiled?)

it started really well but then the second 1/2 became a chore and the ending left a lot to be desired (no pun intended) . i wanted more of entitys introduced but then went away. now i enjoyed the characters introduced into the second part but it felt like it was done before.

casting for the most part with supporting characters was great. howell, dance, hamill thewlis, christie, park were interesting

cereal was probably the hardest to get through
The show is pretty close to the original comics, both in terms of the episodic structure, the screen (page?) time of several of the supporting cast, and the major plot points.

But we have barely scratched the surface. Some of the characters introduced in this season play a role in the the rest of the comics, the overall mythology and the relationship within the family gets expanded upon, and there are longer story arcs.

The first season covered essentially the first volume of the collected edition. I hope we get a second season covering at least the second volume: that is where the story really picks up.

Irlo

Hero
I really wanted to love this show, but I don't. A few episodes stand out, but overall I just found it dull. Some of the casting was excellent, some was lackluster. The dream-sequences didn't seem dream-like. I may be too critical for my own good.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I just read Dream Country last night, and I was reminded of the graphic novel structure. There would be a set of anthology type issues, that didn't really seem related in any narrative throughline way (Dream Country was one of those); and then a 6-7 issue run that was a single story. I haven't finished the TV show yet, but I wonder if that's how they will do this whole thing - do the anthology and pair it with the single story each season. I mean, that's assuming they get all of 5 seasons. It is Netflix after all...

Hex08

Hero
I really enjoyed this show. The first graphic novel was the weakest of the comics and only got better from there. Hopefully the show lasts so we can see the adaptations of some of the later, amazing stories like Seasons of the Mist, World's End and The Kindly Ones.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah the back end of this show was so much better than the more episodic first arc and really sold me on not just the show as a whole but Morpheus as a character.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think I read most of it off the stands (I might have had to get the first several as back issues?) and have reread the whole thing at least three times since.

There are of course nitpicks here and there, but overall was very pleased. They didn't do my favorite long arc Season of Mists, but forshadowed it as next if there's a Season 2 and of course didn't do any of the short stories that I really love.

I wonder if the episode 24/7 should have been even more excruciating, but probably wouldn't have been watchable of it was. The Sound of Her Wings was particularly wonderful.

I thought the casting choice for Constantine was really good, but am embarrassed to say I've been pronouncing the name wrong in my head all this time. The only character I was really disappointed in was Mazikeen (the portrayal, not the actor).

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I thought the casting choice for Constantine was really good, but am embarrassed to say I've been pronouncing the name wrong in my head all this time. The only character I was really disappointed in was Mazikeen.
If so then you can be forgiven, because how you were likely pronouncing it is how it was pronounced in both the Keanu Reeves movie, and the short-lived TV series starring Matt Ryan, if memory serves.

Remove ads