Satanic Panic of the late 80's

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Just out of curiosity...

what is the date this went wild?

I took flak in the mid 80s and 2nd edition was what year?
Without looking ... 1988-ish, I think, for 2E. The pamphlet/booklet I saw when I was in high school--which wasn't the Jack Chick thing--made specific mention of and cited specific pages of Deities and Demigods, before the Lovecraftian and Moorcockian stuff had been removed. So, early.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For some reason I thought the D&D-themed Chick Tract came out in about 1984.

I've been meaning to name a character Blackleaf ever since, but every time I roll up a character I keep forgetting.

According to Yale, it's indeed 1984:

I made a Shadowrun Anarchy character named Armani Blackleaf. I try to work in "No, not Blackleaf!" once a session, but I don't always manage it.

For some reason I thought the D&D-themed Chick Tract came out in about 1984.

I've been meaning to name a character Blackleaf ever since, but every time I roll up a character I keep forgetting.

Weiley31

Legend
Heard about it and even saw the TERRIBLE young Tom Hanks movie Mazes and Monsters. I was born in 1985 so by the time I learned about DND and heard about the Satanic Pact, it was mid/late 90's. The entire thing (Satanic Pact) was some of the dumbest hits ever. I swear parents either just walked in on their kids, playing DND, at the worst time or just never saw a group with a Lawful Stupid(perhaps the "only" time such a thing is good) Paladin in play.

And I've played enough video game rpgs that probably would've seemed worse to Parents were going through everything with a fine tooth comb about it. Heck, I was the only one in my high school English class that knew what a Cockatrice, Basilisk, Asp, etc, etc, were because of various video games. Later on in college, I was the only one in a class that knew what a Succubus was when the Professor, at a rowan college seminar, asked that question when talking about the Medieval Church and its explanations for wet dreams. (which then prompted a girl in the class to look at me and say "That's creepy that you know what that is.")

Look, you don't forget what a Succubus is after you do that boss fight in Castlevania: Symphony of The Night.

Granted, I never went through the frustration that a lot of people probably went through during the Satanic Pact in DND's history. Knowing my mom, she would've reacted the same way, but then knowing me, I would've had on in full display, the most Lawful Good maiden saving campaign with such sugary sweet goodness just to throw off any "why are you playing Satan's game?"

Heck I remember in my Church's Sunday School classes the teacher, wonderful person regardless of views towards the hobby, handed us all a card with various like ungodly games and stuff to avoid and it had both DND AND Final Fantasy(gave me a silent laugh) on it.

I am though happy that the hobby has been able to throw off that stupid image and is able to show people what it is actually about and how fun it is.

Dan Davenport

Hardboiled GMshoe
My parents didn't really get into the Satanic angle, exactly. My Mom was more worried about RPGs making kids commit suicide, and my Dad just thought I had my "head in the clouds" because of playing them. They eventually got rid of my whole collection.

Years later, my Mom changed her life for the better in many ways (among them divorcing my Dad) and felt bad about what she'd done. She helped me buy back the majority of my collection, reads my RPG reviews, and even bought herself a copy of Boomtown Planet, a game in which I appear as a major NPC.

Remove ads