Savage Pathfinder Savage Pathfinder's Wizard Gets An Update!

Earlier this week, I shared a work-in-progress version the wizard from Pathfinder for Savage...

Earlier this week, I shared a work-in-progress version the wizard from Pathfinder for Savage Worlds. P.E.G. has kindly send me along an updated version! I'll have a Q&A up here on the site soon.

enwswp1_v2.png

enwswp2_v2.png

What are the changes, I hear you ask? well, PEG heard you ask too, so hear's an annotated version explaining the changes!

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.06.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.07.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.07.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.07.54 AM.png

Sir Brennen

Legend
Thanks! Can anybody tell what are the differences?
First thing I notice is the Arcane Background Spell List is updated, and no longer includes Healing.

The effect of Bonded Object is now consistent between it's description in both the Class Edge and Arcane Background.

Also, the "Building Your Own Wizard" is clearly called out, which is nice, as some people thought the table of Advancements were set in stone, like d20 class abilities.

Last edited:

Also, the "Building Your Own Wizard" is clearly called out, which is nice, as some people thought the table of Advancements were set in stone, like d20 class abilities.

That is is great to me. I know a little about SW, and how it works, and honestly I thought the Ezren table showing him was the choices people had to make. Even after I figured that out - It still seemed lockstep - so I am glad for this callout in the preview.

One I had the book and read it, I would likely never make that mistake in how it is approached, but I mised it somewhat in the preview. So yeah I'm really glad that is highlighted. Not necessarily for the book itself, but from those that may know a little bit about SW and make similar mistakes to mine, and may lose interest or something. I know finding out how it really worked helped my desire (I pledged).

Bascially it is "This is how you use the tools we have in the book and in SW to be able to build a Pathfinder style wizard" not "You must build a pathfinder style wizard." :D

My wife and I tend to play 2 different systems - usually different in tone and approach. For years it was HERO and 3.X/Pathfinder. Now our primary system is Cypher, so we are sorta of looking for a secondary system that is a bit more crunchy.. but not HERO or PF level - and SW looks like it just might fit the bill. And there is so much support and campaign stuff for it, which is amazing.

Prof_Dogg

Explorer
My wife and I tend to play 2 different systems - usually different in tone and approach. For years it was HERO and 3.X/Pathfinder. Now our primary system is Cypher, so we are sorta of looking for a secondary system that is a bit more crunchy.. but not HERO or PF level - and SW looks like it just might fit the bill. And there is so much support and campaign stuff for it, which is amazing.
If you like Cypher, you'd likely like Savage Worlds. It has similar open-ended qualities and streamlined qualities as Cipher does. Still very different systems but similar philosophical approaches to how mechanics can work into the story.

If you like Cypher, you'd likely like Savage Worlds. It has similar open-ended qualities and streamlined qualities as Cipher does. Still very different systems but similar philosophical approaches to how mechanics can work into the story.
Yeah I tried it a number of years ago with Explorer edition. We found the combat too swingy - and I was looking for the "perfect system" that I could replace HERO with; and I had a game design philosophical disagreement with the way skills/attributes were handled*- so we stopped playing. Now that I think I have found the "perfect system" (Cypher) - having a second one that just "really really good" is fine. lol. I was a bit of an elitist.

I see it sharing that things I like about cypher, but for when I want something more tactical and a bit crunchier in play, SW looks to be awesome.

* I'd talk about them, but I don't want to take this thread too much more of a tangent than it already is - it's supposed to be about how great Savage Pathfinder will be. :D

Donald Schepis

Developer @ PEG
Anyone know what font the headers are in?
It's CCTreacherousCorners.

I miss the healing. I like for magic to be universal and it's also great for small parties if you don't need a cleric for healing.
The implications of Wizards getting "all" powers was a rule we felt was going to cause problems in the future. That said, there are ways (currently) for Wizards to get functional access to powers outside of their list. You can also play a Bard, Druid, or use one of the generic arcane backgrounds to get access to healing.

Remove ads

Remove ads