• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Save-or-die spells with reflex saves?

nameless

First Post
I know a whole lot of spells that are effectively save-or-die with will and fort saves. Polymorph is the quitessential Fort save, and Hold X is the quintessential Will save. But what can kill/make helpless someone that uses a Reflex save? I hate fireballs and such, because they honestly don't do enough damage to kill stuff.

The only spells that come to mind that have a reflex save for non-damaging effects are Web and the Wall spells.

So tell me... how do wizards deal with cleric saves?

-nameless

Crothian

First Post
Fireball. Sure, you don't kill them. But it does damage them. It's better then the all or nothing of these other spells.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Check out Chains of Vengance in BoEM

4th level Sor/Wiz spell that allows a Ref save. If the save fails they take 2d6 damage per round and are rendered helpless (I guess they could do verbal only spells).

Dwarmaj

CullAfulMoshuN

First Post
How about using a wall of Ice spell to trap them in a hemisphere? Not necessarily an instant kill, but if they fail their save they are trapped there when you cast cloud kill or summon swarm the next round.

Gromm

First Post
Earthquake is the only spell I know of that has a reflex save or die.

Basically it comes down to the ideas behind the saves, anything that automatically kills you gets a Fort save, anything that makes you helpless generally gets a Will save, and anything you have to avoid (generally area effects) gets a Reflex save.

There are a few exceptions, but overall its how it works.

mmu1

First Post
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, while not save-or-die, can perform a similar function - anyone encased in it is out of the combat for 1 minute/level, allowing time to take care of other enemies and then get ready to deal with the trapped person at your leisure. Unless they're capable of casting Dispel Magic, anyway...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Earthquake is the only spell I know of that has a reflex save or die.

And it's a Cleric spell.

There's another good reason Wizards don't have Reflex-Save-or-Die spells : Otto's Irresistible Dance.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads