• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saying Goodbye to Dungeon/Dragon - Our Thoughts

The best way I can come up with a Thankyou is a top "10" list of what I got from my Dungeon and Dragon magazines

15. Great consistant articals on the hobby we all love and cherish
14. Critical Hit NPCs
13. Prreviews of DDM figures
12. Interviews with world builders and creators
11. Reviews of stuff I was not even aware existed
10. MAPS 'nuff said
9. Awesome fill-in adventures for my Eberron campaign.
8. New Dragons
7. Strange magical items from the Bizzarre
6. Unique monster templates
5. The Githyanki Invasion (the grandfather to the current Adv. Path series)
4. Darksun 3.5
3. Beautiful covers of creatures nasty and wonderous
2. The use of 101 dirty goblin tricks / traps
1. The enjoyment and wonder of each month waiting for the next issues to come in the mail

Andrew Farrell
Arlington Vermont

Playing since 1989

Wombat

First Post
Haven't read 'em in years. Never really affected my game.

OTOH, I remember the first time I went into a shop and saw a copy of The Dragon on the shelf (this was The Dragon #1) and thought, "Oh cool! It's not just mailorder like The Strategic Review anymore! Some more people may learn about the hobby!"

So it was very cool for getting the word out. :)

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Farewell, Dragon and Dungeon. You have been a constant source of enjoyment in an uncertain world. Life won't be the same without the sense of wonder you bring to me each month. Thank you!

zoroaster100

First Post
Reading Dragon and Dungeon was a way to stay connected to the hobby for the years when I didn't know anyone that played D&D or when I had no time to play or DM. Dungeon's Shackled City Adventure path supplied me with the means to run a year and a half long very fun campaign for a group of players when work would have made it impossible to create adventures wholecloth. I will miss them both.

Agamon

Adventurer
Thank you, Dragon, for supplying me with entertaining and insightful reading for a great many years. I maybe only ever used 1 article for every three mags in game, but the majority of the magazines were a good read, cover to cover.

Thanks you, Dungeon, for allowing me to DM even though I was too busy with RL to make up adventures from scratch. And thank you for introducing the Adventure Path concept (or at least, making it popular).

You will both be missed.

boerngrim

Explorer
I don't want to say goodbye. I guess I don't have to. I still have my issues to go back and pour over plus the cdrom Dragon archive. Dragon in particular has been a staple of my reading every month since 1992. I purchased it religiously at my lgs and then last year subscribed to both for the first time. The PAIZO years of Dragon and Dungeon are going to go down in history as great years for both magazines. Like a lot of us the news of the cancellation hit me hard. I can't believe there's only three months left.
Goodbye and thanks to all the staff and contributors down through all the years.

Agamon

Adventurer
I was rereading my Dragon archive ( I think I was on #30 or thereabouts) when the news hit. That made me that much crabbier at the time. When I get some spare time, I'd like to continue that walk down memory lane.

Since the arrival of my very first subscription issue I have looked forward to the arrival of Dragon every month. Even when I wasn't interested in much of the content. That's hard to explain. It can't have been just the comics, though like many others they were what I always turned to first, whether it was Wormy, Phil & Dixie, Snarfquest, Fineous Fingers, or even Yamara. Even back in the day the amount of material I ever used from Dragon, or that actually inspired something substantive in my campaigns was minimal.

I suppose it must be because for the longest time it was THE source of discussion. Even when the internet came along the discussions were so often prompted first by topics in letters to Dragon, or articles therein. Dragon was the touchstone for so much of the D&D and RPG fanbase. It was, aside from the game itself, our common ground.

For the last several years I really have lost touch with Dragon, despite my continued subscription. The game they seemed to be promoting was just not the game as I played it, or as I wanted it to be. And yet even if I didn't have a FULL collection of Dragon, from Strategic Review to our soon-to-be-last issue, I'd have never been able to cancel my subscription without being forced by dire "it's this or not eating this month" choices.

Even in the "lean years" when I have not had an active campaign for years at a stretch I have always been thinking about D&D, talking about it, reading about it, working with it. Dragon has always been a part of that. I don't know how I will feel about it when the end actually comes, and afterward, as it becomes an ever more distant memory. But I know that at some level I will miss it. It is the end of an era, for better or worse. It is an event to be marked, even commemorated.

Dragon is dead. Long live Dragon.

Remove ads