• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SCAG Legality is Posted

With Gamehole Con just 2 days away, and me having 3 Tier II & III PCs that will likely level at some point over the weekend, this makes the 'use the rebuild NOW' option a little stressful.

But the ruling is everything I thought and hoped it would be. Great addition! I'll add again that I'm very impressed with the subtlety and nuance that was put into the SWAG rules section. Quality over quantity really worked in this case, IMHO>

Steve_MND

First Post
Not afraid of them, but they can quickly unbalance encounter design. Many of the adventures are lethal enough already without our designers having to incorporate all those unneeded hurdles.

And yet, inexplicably, the campaign put a permanent magical item into the campaign that allows for that sort of flying for anyone that has it, essentially at will (for the purposes of handling most any AL encounter). Admittedly, as an item as opposed to a racial feature, it limits the number of potential characters running around with a flying speed, but it doesn't make the encounters it breaks any less broken at the tables with them.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
And yet, inexplicably, the campaign put a permanent magical item into the campaign that allows for that sort of flying for anyone that has it, essentially at will (for the purposes of handling most any AL encounter). Admittedly, as an item as opposed to a racial feature, it limits the number of potential characters running around with a flying speed, but it doesn't make the encounters it breaks any less broken at the tables with them.

Well, they haven't errata'ed the Fly spell, so the idea of flying PCs by itself isn't the problem -- it's the idea of PCs with permanent flying abilities from level 1 that can't be taken away. (Note: there are definitely AL encounters where a motivated DM can destroy a magic item that allows flight; for actual wings, not so much.)

The 'for seasons with a dedicated rules source, choose your rules source or SCAG' seems a bit confusing to me, but as I get used to it, I suspect I'll like it -- it answers the main criticism other folks seem to have about the storyline season concept, which is that Season 2 was always the no-brainer option when it came to picking character options. Now, every season has at least one rule-based set of character options available, but the blending of those rules options will still only happen when characters get ahold of things that have been explicitly authorized.

And yeah, I may just end up making a new level 1 character for GameholeCon just to have a SCAG character. (I don't begrudge other people the option to rebuild; I just don't see that it will benefit any of my existing characters.)

--
Pauper

sigfile

Explorer
The Inheritor background's starting equipment still concerns me. The AL announcement addresses the Inheritance feature, but the starting equipment still contains that pesky "any items with which you are proficient."

tilamythweave

First Post
It is a permanent item that has to be charged at a specific place. So even less likely it can be used all the time.

kalani

First Post
It is a permanent item that has to be charged at a specific place. So even less likely it can be used all the time.
Rechargable items still count as permament items, regardless of how easily they can be recharged. The item counts against your magic item total even if broken, or all charges are expended. Only consumable items are removed from your logsheet (those with a finite # of charges and can never be recharged).

Edit: Ignore the above. For a moment there, I thought this post was in a different conversation about recharged magic items.

With that being said: There is a pair of winged boots in AL (no I won't say which adventure it is located in as the AL frowns on magic item lists), however there is are several differences between racial flying speed, and a magical flying speed.
  • Racial flying speed is not affected by magic disruption, is easily acquired (just pick an appropriate race), and does not count against your number of permanent magic items.

Allowing flying races mean that (on average), at least one member of the party will be a flying character, if not more. Winged boots are exceedingly rare in AL. Not only are they currently found in a very specific and grueling adventure, but there is a very real likelihood that the party will fail to obtain them due to their current owner escaping (this happened at my table after the party almost wiped). PCs with the fly spell will be far more common than those with winged boots, although the boots themselves are more common than 14th level Dragon Sorcerers.

Last edited:

tilamythweave

First Post
Rechargable items still count as permament items, regardless of how easily they can be recharged. The item counts against your magic item total even if broken, or all charges are expended. Only consumable items are removed from your logsheet (those with a finite # of charges and can never be recharged).
Yes that is the case, however we are talking about the likelihood of a first tier character being able to use the item. If there is no way to recharge it. Flying is not possible.

Remove ads