SCAG Thread

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I think it's worth pointing out one wrinkle of the ruling that is likely going to cause some arguments because people who simply hear 'SCAG is evergreen' aren't going to dive in deeper to figure out the specifics of the ruling.

Say you have a Season 2 Deep Gnome Wizard, and you decide to use the retraining option to become a SCAG Deep Gnome so that you can retrain a cantrip for one of the SCAG cantrips. You will also need to remove the Catapult and Skywrite spells from your spellbook and replace them with legal spells that aren't from the Elemental Evil Player's Guide, unless you've found a spell scroll with one or both of those spells during play in an AL adventure or via some other AL-legal source (such as purchasing the scroll at Fai Chen's Fantastical Faire).

If I've misinterpreted this part of the rules guidance, I'd appreciate it if an admin can correct me.

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
You are correct. If an Elemental Evil character has any of the spells from the EEPC/Princes of the Apocalypse, you must either:

- Retrain those spells (unless copied into your spellbook from a scroll or another PC/NPC spellbook). This option allows you to use SCAG
- Keep those spells, but be unable to use any of the new material in SCAG. The EEPC is your splatbook of choice.

No character for example, will be able to have cantrips from both the EEPC and SCAG.

I think it's worth pointing out one wrinkle of the ruling that is likely going to cause some arguments because people who simply hear 'SCAG is evergreen' aren't going to dive in deeper to figure out the specifics of the ruling.

There is no way to fix this, as there will always be the occasional lazy reader or those who simply hear what they want to hear. Its all there in black and white and if someone makes a mistake, point it out and they'll fix it.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
There is no way to fix this, as there will always be the occasional lazy reader or those who simply hear what they want to hear. Its all there in black and white and if someone makes a mistake, point it out and they'll fix it.

I point it out not as a criticism of the ruling, but as a criticism of people who are, deliberately or not, over-simplifying the ruling. But I do agree -- as long as there is something official that can be pointed to by way of explanation as to why the over-simplification is incorrect, that's good enough for those who need it.

warfteiner

First Post
Players will be responsible for reading and knowing the Player's Guide as it is revised each season. The PG will clearly indicate the allowable resources for new characters at that time, as well as the rules for creating characters using other/older story origins.

CapnZapp

Legend
Aaaand, its up.
I've read it, but I find its language to be slightly indirect.

Is the meaning that SCAG will be generally available ("evergreen") EXCEPT for certain storylines, storylines with substantial crunch of their own, storylines such as Elemental Evil?

Such that a Genasi or Goliath can't choose the new SCAG subclasses or cantrips, for instance, since they're only available as season 2 characters?

But a Deep Gnome (not using any other stuff from EE), could. Because that race is fully reproduced in SCAG itself?

Doesn't this mean that nothing is truly evergreen, since you would never be able to pick from TWO SCAG-sized supplements?

Just checking if I got it right.

StinkyEttin

First Post
If is evergreen and backwards compatible. If your story origin has a substantive resource included with it (such as is the case with EE), you must choose either the substantive resource or the SCAG to use as an allowed rules resource. This means you cannot use both the EEPC and the SCAG to make a character, so no Goliath purple dragon nights or genasi swashbucklers.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
If is evergreen and backwards compatible. If your story origin has a substantive resource included with it (such as is the case with EE), you must choose either the substantive resource or the SCAG to use as an allowed rules resource. This means you cannot use both the EEPC and the SCAG to make a character, so no Goliath purple dragon nights or genasi swashbucklers.

Heh. I'm kind of running around in my head on this one, because I'm a fairly firm believer in not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. So I'm going to say a few things as preamble.

1. Given the overall design philosophy of AL, this decision is really, really good. It's flexible and future-proofed, and it sacrifices much less in terms of player options than I had expected. I'm content with it. I'm, in fact, delighted by it.

2. I feel like I was listened to. I don't know if my own input went into this decision at all, but I feel like it did, and that matters for my overall enjoyment of and investment in AL going forward.

3. This seems like a really good direction to go in for major books. It just does.

But all that said... the moment you said "genasi swashbucklers," my imagination jumped into complete overdrive and a really vivid character concept leapt into my brain, and I am a little sad she can't ever see the light of day in organized play.

Remove ads