Scale of Forgotten Realms Maps

redkobold

Explorer
I am new to the Realms but does anyone else find the distances/map scale excessive for the recent few adventures set in the Forgotten Realms (Phandelver, Dragon Queen, Apocalypse Princes)? If so, how have you adjusted it.

For example from Baldur's Gate to Waterdeep appears to be from 500 miles by one source I found to more like 750 miles by another source.

In relation to our world that is like from Paris to Porto, Portugal for 750 miles or Paris to Barcelona, Spain for 500 miles.

In US terms like Houston, Texas to Atlanta, Georgia for 700+ miles or Birmingham, Alabama for 500+ miles.

I do not want to quibble about the exact scale so much but feel that either is too much for a fantasy medieval setting. If there is some online source to get better measurements however, let me know.

I think we lose sight of this with cars where we can travel further in an hour (60 miles) than someone could travel on a horse in 3 days and probably kill the horse.

I believe that most medieval villages were about 10 to 20 miles apart so that one could get to a village in back in one day or travel to a further village in one day if walking. I want to say that the effective area of control of a castle was also about 20 miles that being the distance a cavalry could ride in a day and still be able to fight.

I am thinking or changing the scale to reduce the distance 50-66% so that Baldurs Gate to Waterdeep is between 250 or at most 375 miles.

Any thoughts or modifications of your own?

Thanks in advance.

Remove ads