D&D 5E Scaling the number of off-hand attacks?

CapnZapp

Legend
I feel you, doctorhook.

The lack of off topic moderation (and how this allows people to threadcrap all over your subject, especially posts that directly argue AGAINST your idea) is a major issue with Enworld for me.

There really should be plus threads, like doodad+ where people disliking doodad are simply kept out of the thread.

Regards,

Pickles III

First Post
And it's still stupid. Duelling as a sport is not the same as effective fighting. You CANNOT fight faster with two weapons than you can with one, it is physical impossibility. Give a trained man a rapier and leave his off-hand empty and he will cut faster and more often than anyone with two weapons. Having actually trained with multiple weapons, I can say with confidence, that two weapon fighting is a crock of :):):):) done only for show, and the only exception is fighting with a long dagger in the off hand, which is basically used like a buckler... in other words, it's a pointy shield. It's for when carrying a shield is impractical, and was used primarily to parry a blow, or disarm, in much the same way you would with a small shield. Two full sized swords did not happen.

And then

We're not in medieval times, we're in a fantasy world with no relation to Earth at all, so who's to say what their buildings are like; and more-so what their underground multi-levelled dungeons and cultist temples are like.

:confused::confused:

Each to their own. I've been GMing now for 12 years, and my games have always been so popular I've had to turn players away. I welcome hearing how others roleplay, but you're not going to convince me my way is wrong. I've had too much good feedback to even entertain such a thing. It may not be to your taste, but it's certainly fun.

Noob :p ;)

As I do not want to threadcrap I would just point out that there are any number of ways that people like to play roleplaying games & ENworld has a strong policy of not allowing people to crap on any of them. Even if it does allow off topic rambles.

On topic I would avoid giving defensive boosts to twf as then it just becomes a clunky way of being the same AC and damage as a shield user.
Just adding a second attack to rangers & fighters as part of the TWF style or as 11th level class features would be OK in my maths, assuming the GWF uses Great Weapon Master feat. As this feat is seen as being close to broken that might not be a suitable solution for everyone though.

Rogues could also get the benefit in which case you would want to add it to the lacklustre duel wielder feat though I think it should really appear at 11th class level for fighters & rangers not 11th character level.
Rogues get decent value from TWF anyway as it is essentially a reroll to try to proc their sneak attack if they miss with their main hand. They do have a lot of uses for their bonus action though so it's not overwhelmingly good - the new UA swashbuckler addresses this.

I will say that none of the maths includes magic weapons which while not mandatory are pretty common in D&D & one of those that adds +d6 damage would skew twf to being far better (well 2 of them ...)

TornadoCreator

First Post
As I do not want to threadcrap I would just point out that there are any number of ways that people like to play roleplaying games & ENworld has a strong policy of not allowing people to crap on any of them. Even if it does allow off topic rambles.

Sometimes people on the internet can be the most thin-skinned, prissy little crybabies ever can't they. Is it not possible to disagree, even on a fundamental level; show passion and speak with confidence about hobbies you've done for years... but still end the conversation without being butthurt little babies. Unless we're actually roleplaying in the same game our opinions are nothing more than that, some other blokes opinion. Now as we're on a roleplaying forum I presumed sharing your opinions and ideas about roleplaying was expected, I also assumed the population of this forum was furnished with a decent enough intellect that saying "in my opinion" in every bloody post might come off as rather redundant. Was I wrong?

As people seem to get very uppity here about any deviation, I'll get back to the topic at hand.

On topic I would avoid giving defensive boosts to twf as then it just becomes a clunky way of being the same AC and damage as a shield user.
Just adding a second attack to rangers & fighters as part of the TWF style or as 11th level class features would be OK in my maths, assuming the GWF uses Great Weapon Master feat. As this feat is seen as being close to broken that might not be a suitable solution for everyone though.

Rogues could also get the benefit in which case you would want to add it to the lacklustre duel wielder feat though I think it should really appear at 11th class level for fighters & rangers not 11th character level.
Rogues get decent value from TWF anyway as it is essentially a reroll to try to proc their sneak attack if they miss with their main hand. They do have a lot of uses for their bonus action though so it's not overwhelmingly good - the new UA swashbuckler addresses this.

I will say that none of the maths includes magic weapons which while not mandatory are pretty common in D&D & one of those that adds +d6 damage would skew twf to being far better (well 2 of them ...)

This is an extremely mechanics focused way of looking at things, your use of the word "proc" for, activating you power says everything... you're basically playing this game like a tabletop MMO. I don't go out there to get more opportunities to "proc sneak attack"; because this isn't a video game and if I wanted a miniatures tactics game I'd still be playing 4th.

For me the question of two weapon combat is all about whether it makes sense in the setting and game. Now sure you can do it, but I believe you should get no combat bonus at all, because in reality, you don't actually get any advantage in combat from dual weilding. You certainly don't attack faster or more often.

Your smug quoting at the beginning of the post means nothing, and parading your stupidity around and giving e-winks to the other posters won't make you win this argument; so either grow up and discuss the subject properly, or agree to disagree and move on. You're crap at mockery via the internet and as I've never met you or spoken to you before, I've yet to develop any respect for you bar basic human courtesy, so I'll think nothing of eviscerating your childish nonsense publicly... just... like... this.

Humanoid physiology is well established in the game, we have the same shape; arms, legs, torso etc. in the same place, and have the same weapons... swords, bows, axes etc. as a late-medieval Earth society. Buildings though, could be vastly different. In a world where races don't have the same biology; for example Elves don't sleep, are bedrooms the norm? Will houses in Elven towns instead have a meditation room for trancing or will they just trance in the same room the lounge in? With no electricity, but access to magic that can and does do many of the things we use electricity for; would we see magic being used for utility in most peoples homes, especially the upper classes. There's a feat to give basic low level spellcasting, and most classes have access to cantrips at will by 3rd level, even rogue and fighter. So it's reasonable to assume at least 1 in 5 people can do cantrips. So would houses accomodate such things? Would you lack a washboard and mangle because "no-one washes clothes by hand anymore, you just go to the mages guild and pay the apprenticeship 2 silver and they prestidigitate the dirt away, for 3 silver they cast mending to fix any torn or damaged clothes"... do you see my point.

Our anatomy is decided. We know the limits of the humanoid body and understand melee fighting, Architecture though, that's different. We don't know how much the fantasy elements to this world have changed the way we build buildings so; yes, my statements are both fair and not even slightly contradictory.

Still confused? Would you like to post more daft smiles and smirk like a child? Or perhaps we can agree that we each think about this differently.

You want to primarily consider mechanics, I'm primarily considering game feel. These approaches are both fine.

I did also say in my opening post on this thread that I felt the additional attacks from two weapon fighting slowed and bogged down the game, with too many dice being rolled. One of the primary goals of 5e after all was to keep things fast and flowing, which they've achieved very well I might add. So my opinion wasn't just from a game feel perspective, but a practical one too.

Now if you want to discuss this like adults cool, if you'd rather just leave it and agree to disagree, that's also cool; but don't treat me like your figure of fun just because I'm relatively new here as a regular poster. If you really don't like me and can't bare to be exposed to opinions outside of your echo chamber, well there is an ignore button if you really can't handle having a discussion on a discussion board.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
2WF is already amongst the strongest options. Improving it would hamper balance.

All-out TWF builds are strictly inferior to PM + GWF though, in every possible way.

After you take the Dual Wielder feat and max strength or dex, you have nowhere else to go in terms of damage feats. Whereas the savvy polearm master picks the defense style, and still beats dual wielder in terms of damage, reach, # of attacks, max possible damage at every level except 4th, and only gets better and better at 5th onward. As a fighter I would bump strength to 18 (if using point buy and min maxing) at level 4, after taking polearm master at level 1 with variant human (if allowed). Then at level 6 I would take GWM, and at level 8 max out strength.

By level 11 you have 4 attacks minimum per round, each of which is with 10 reach, and possibly one extra attack (from either OAs or crits or kills, which are then easy to follow through due to reach). Not to mention each of those 4 attacks can be at +10 damage from GWM, plus magic weapon bonuses if any.

But I agree the fault isn't with dual wielding being too weak, it's polearm master making it strictly inferior and obsolete in every way.

Pickles III

First Post
Now if you want to discuss this like adults cool, if you'd rather just leave it and agree to disagree, that's also cool; but don't treat me like your figure of fun just because I'm relatively new here as a regular poster. If you really don't like me and can't bare to be exposed to opinions outside of your echo chamber, well there is an ignore button if you really can't handle having a discussion on a discussion board.

I do not believe your manner is appropriate to the ENworld forums. You are a new poster it is true so I refrained from reporting you (for previous offences) but you will need to tone down the attacks & aggressive tone if you want to stay here.

I am mechanics focused as this was a question about mechanics. Your point about it slowing down the game is a good one but addressing the realism of the situation is not - that horse has already bolted.

"Feel" is important - more important than "realism" IMO though that's hardly tangible. I would have no problem with a player asking to duel wield rapier & dagger & treat it as sword & shield if they feel that is more realistic or however in keeping with their character. However This thread was about how to mechanically differentiate TWF so that is is not a trap option for fighters by 11th level if not before.

As to the reality of human biology well D&D has never had a very good handle on that. There are endless threads on the reality of HP & whether high level "martial" characters should be bound by the laws of physics as they work in our world. They are violated pretty strongly as soon as you try to sword fight a dragon the size of a tube train. We are not recreating reality* we are recreating heroic fiction and if someone likes to duel wield rapiers because that guy the the 3 musketeers did & it was cool then have at.

(As to the smiileys - I was pointing out the contradiction in your post so was confused by your position, which you have clarified. The other ones were me teasing you as a newer DM - lots of posters here have been DMing for 30 years. This was meant to be mild hazing welcomingyou to the club & I am sorry if it caused offence)

*except where we are of course because that style of play is fine too though D&D seems like a poor starting point for it.

Last edited:

TornadoCreator

First Post
I do not believe your manner is appropriate to the ENworld forums. You are a new poster it is true so I refrained from reporting you (for previous offences) but you will need to tone down the attacks & aggressive tone if you want to stay here.

I just don't subscribe to the thin-skinned nonsense and silly snide cliquish behaviour forums give out nowadays. If you don't agree with the regulars and follow their personal etiquette guidelines, moderators are called down to wave their ePeen at you and conversations are ended... meaning no-one can ever show passion or give opinions, or on many forums, disagree with the regular posters as someone could get upset on the internet and we can't have that can we! At the end of the day, I'm almost 30 talking about playing make-believe with strangers on the internet, and I'm not interested in eDrama or bowing to the authority of a spotty oik teen with a power fantasy and a "ban user" button. Either we can have a decent discussion about it or we can't. We're all adults here, we don't need such stupid overly cautious rules all because someone being slightly offended is the worst thing that can ever happen on the internet. If you think I'm wrong, tell me; think my idea is stupid, say so. Think the way I'll killed off that PC that one time was just me being a dick, fine, say so... frankly I'm getting sick of having to teach the internet how to have a conversation without tableflipping and being offended at the slightest little thing. Sure the likes of 4chan and the comments section of YouTube show that the internet is full of unlikable pricks, but there is such a thing as overcompensation. If ENWorld can't handle having conversations, fine, I'll go back to Reddit... but so far I'm liking it here and I'd like to keep discussing games without the eDrama.

To stay on topic though.

Fair enough, this was more of a mechanics question; though I feel my answer of "remove two weapon fighting all together", is pretty effective at solving that and I wanted to at least give my justifications.

To go on a bit of a tangent. You make a good point on fighting dragons, and it's something I may make a new thread about actually as I think it would make for an interesting discussion. How do yoy fight giant creatures like Dragons or the Tarrasque using swords and bows? Can weapons that to them are no more than being stabbed with a drawing pin really kill them... sure it'll knock of some HP, but repeatedly stabbing someone in the foot with a drawing pin won't kill them. It might piss them off but it won't kill them...

Bayonet

First Post
Luckily I've got that ignore button handy...

While I agree that the math seems to show that TWF is slightly inferior to other styles, I honestly don't think that it lags behind enough to need to be revamped. Pretty sure that the players who pick it for the flavor wouldn't even notice the difference. I doubt I would, personally.

Dude, it was a natural progression of the discussion.

...this insistance on starting new threads every time the topic diverges slightly actually just kills discussion stone dead.
Son, the fact that you think you rambling tangents were "slight" shows that you either don't read your own thought-vomit paragraphs before posting or that you possess a worrisome lack of self-awareness. You went from "too many dice" to "TWF is stupid" to bitumen torches, armor encumbrance, medieval architecture, and questions about deep-sea fishing; there was nothing natural about the progression of that conversation, which should have been obvious by the fact that the only person replying to you (@Wik) was pointing out how ridiculous your comments were.

One thing I definitely know though, is no-one likes a backseat moderator, and these posts are more of a derailment to the tread than anything posted previously...
I started this thread because I wanted to discuss the answers to specific questions; I'm no moderator, I'm just trying to curate my own topic. ENWorld has a great set of moderators, but the community works as well as it does because its regular posters mostly follow the rules and police their own behaviour. I was polite to you in my post upthread, because I figured you were just a newguy who didn't know the rules, but your replies indicate that you mostly don't care about decorum.

Luckily I've got that ignore button handy...
I haven't ever ignored anyone yet, but damn it looks tempting.

TornadoCreator

First Post
[MENTION=6780018]Bayonet[/MENTION] [MENTION=58401]doctorhook[/MENTION]

You know what, I think I'll just go. Clearly no-one wants to actuall discuss games and have a reasonable chin wag about roleplaying; they'd rather piss and moan about stupid f*cking forum etiquette. I couldn't give less of a sh*t, really.

I'll go back to Reddit and talk there. There's about a half dozen active sub-reddits and they know how to have actual conversations....

....actually, sod that. I think I'll just put you both on ignore as plenty of people where granting XP in my other threads so clearly you pissing and moaning is in the minority. If this us the forward face of ENWorld, it sucks, it's pathetically oversensitive and it's extremely unwelcoming to new people.

Remove ads