Scarred Lands: Ask the Sage.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The sage apologizes for his lack of replies. I blame this on someone feeding me an addictive substance called Diablo II.

Back to topics at hand:

Barrow,

Burok Torn is pretty decent and does provide keener insights into the dwarf/drendali(dark elf) relationship. I would try to avoid a few of the crunches (Iron and Stone Guardsman need their requirements reworked for starters.)

Sam,

sam500 said:
Are there any good websites with fan created material for the remaining countries of ghelspad and the other continents?

Not that I'm aware of but I'm sure if you wait a while someone will come along. I think either catsclaws or someone else had a decent site but no idea if they've updated it.

sam500 said:
Why did Scarred Lands really die?

Because they didn't pay me royalties. :p No seriously it was a decision made at the levels above the developers. I'm not privy to the details since I'm not a White Wolf employee. You might try asking Ari Marmell or Joseph Carriker. I'm sure they'd know better than I.

sam500 said:
It seems to me that many of the prestige classes in the white books are much more powerfull than core WOTC stuff (I refer you to favoured of mesos... or whatever it's called). What do you think?

Blessed of Mesos and yes it's a class that pretty much pumps up the sorcerer to levels that would scare a lot of people. I do think though that overall, the Pr-classes in the class books aren't too out of line (except maybe Blessed of Mesos.) It's just a matter of perspective. (I refer you to 3.0 version of Incantrix.)

sam500 said:
ps: I love scarred lands stuff. I bought it ALL when it went on sale... I mean ALL.

Well I didn't buy them on sale but I do have them all. :) Thanks Sam for your support.

kobold

First Post
Have you ever thought of writing up a Heroquest (the roleplaying game not the boardgame) conversion document?
Since I bought the little gazateer when it first came out I've felt this was a world better served by the Herowars/Heroquest ruleset.

freebfrost

Explorer
Nightfall said:
You might try asking Ari Marmell or Joseph Carriker. I'm sure they'd know better than I.
Surely the Sage is already in the process of contacting Ari and/or Joseph for the answer to this question. I am confident he is diligently working to answer this question, since he *is* the Sage after all...

Right, Nightfall?

:uhoh: :\ :eek:

Hussar

Legend
Heh, let's bring this one over here. :p

Was wizard magic taught by the Slarcians or not? I believe that it was. According to the Players Guide to Ghelspad - there certainly is evidence for it.

Also, what do you think of the idea of replacing Hollow Knights with warforged and making Hollow Knights a viable PC race?

One last one. Was there a Vesh sourcebook similar to the Calastia one? My book-fu is failing me.

Trickstergod

First Post
Note: The only time a god and titan fought one on one, the god won, not the titan. See: Corean vs. Golthagga.

Further note: The Scarred Lands, at least initially, and at its best, had a strong feel of Greek mythology. Gods overcoming the titans and what not. God trumps titan. Their phenomal success rate was because they worked together and the titans singularly - but it still stands that the only case of a one on one fight involves a god beating a titan.

However, it's arguable that Denev is more than a titan, particularly if you grant the Ushadani belief in things a little credence.

Other stuff:

Wizard magic. Quite likely not a Slarecian thing; they're psionics - and shadow magic. But the shadow magic only came after torturing Drendari for all her secrets.

Wizard magic is more likely the providence of Miridum, of course, and Mormo - keep in mind that both asaatthi and red witch ratmen favor wizardry over sorcery. It was quite likely a deliberate act of spite against Mesos and the other titans that Mormo favored it.

There was no Vesh sourcebook.

Sword and Sorcery's official answer on killing the setting came down to something like the change over from 3rd edition to 3.5 and too many companies producing books or some such. Ah, there we go - yeah. Andy Bates chalks it up to too many books competing for the buyers dollar in the preface to Strange Lands.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Trick,

Thanks for the assist. (Especially Corean versus Golthagga. However there was that whole Corean and Tanil versus Thulkas.)

The Scarred Lands Campaign Setting does mention Slacerians but only as a reference to wizards being in cahots with them, not anything about Slacerians teaching magic. It might be inferred that way, but I'm reasonable sure after rereading it, that was not the case for general wizadry.

Hussar,

I'm okay with warforged and Hollow Knights but if someone wanted to make a different version for a more "viable" PC race, I don't see why not.

Kobold,

No I haven't any more than some have tried to do so with Dragonlance or Dark Sun. If you wanted someone to help, that's fine. But as I'm more familiar with d20 rule set than Heroscape.

Frosty,

I would if Ari would answer an email. :p :) But as noted by Trick, Andy Bates says something to the effect of too many competing interests. Course now that a lot of d20 companies up and died...and those that are still in the business are considering alternatives...well you get the idea.

sam500 said:
Why did Scarred Lands really die?

Because there is no justice in the world. ;)

No, it's like everything else of a similar nature: simple economics. The market kept shrinking, even as the number of companies trying to supply that market kept growing, and the line just become financially non-viable, particularly given the fact that WW had plenty of other lines toward which to devote its resources.

Nightfall said:
I would if Ari would answer an email. :p :)

Was there a particular e-mail you were referring to? I've long since answered the last e-mail I ever got from you.

saturnin55

First Post
What is the most powerful being in the Scarred Lands?

If you don't consider the gods and titans, Yugman is pretty powerful but probably not THE most powerful being. He's a level 25 wizard (Wise and the Wicked) so that's not THAT high, but still a level 25 wizard :)

Remove ads