Scarred Lands: Ask the Sage.

victorysaber

First Post
I got a few!

What is the Jack of Tears? The Slarecian Legacy (halfway through it) doesn't make it very clear.

Are there any oriental/occidental, arabian/middle eastern, old european/medieval areas on Scarn?

Are there uthriach stats anywhere?

Are there titan stats anywhere?

What is the most powerful being in the Scarred Lands?

Hussar

Legend
Oh, oh, pick me!

victorysaber said:
I got a few!

What is the Jack of Tears? The Slarecian Legacy (halfway through it) doesn't make it very clear.

I'll let the Sage field this one.

Are there any oriental/occidental, arabian/middle eastern, old european/medieval areas on Scarn?

The Assaatthi are based on Oriental material. Shelzar is straight up 1001 Nights material. Calastia always felt like Imperial Rome to me, but, Mithril and Darakeen have a fairly stock Euro feel.

Not sure what an uthriach is. Titans, no.

I'll let the Sage field this one. With curiousity.

Nightfall, after my WLD game finishes up, I am considering starting a SL wiki to bring all the OGL material up to 3.5. Would you be interested in contributing?

Huw

First Post
Hussar said:
Shelzar is straight up 1001 Nights material. Calastia always felt like Imperial Rome to me, but, Mithril and Darakeen have a fairly stock Euro feel.

Huh? Shelzar struck me as being very European. It reminds me of Genoa and Venice. Calastia seems to be based on Tsarist Russia (which, admittedly, tried to base itself on Rome). Mithril is huge refugee camp more like a third world city than anything in Europe.

Scarred Lands impressed me by coming up with very different settings which didn't seem cliched. Since we've come up with radically different interpretations of the material, I'd say it's succeeded.

Psion

Adventurer
Hussar said:
The Assaatthi are based on Oriental material.

The Dragon Lands in Strange Lands have some Asian flavor as well, but not as much as the use of Japanese sounding titles might suggest...

freebfrost

Explorer
Huw said:
Huh? Shelzar struck me as being very European. It reminds me of Genoa and Venice. Calastia seems to be based on Tsarist Russia (which, admittedly, tried to base itself on Rome). Mithril is huge refugee camp more like a third world city than anything in Europe.
Please remember that Shelzar's roots are from Robert E. Howard's city of Shadizar from his Conan series.

As to why Shadizar/Shelzar is a combination of European and Middle Eastern cultures, it technically is one of the birthplaces of those cultures in the "real" world - Hyboria being the legendary civilzation that existed on earth prior to modern history in Howard's stories.

radferth

First Post
OK sage (or anyone):

I'm starting up a one-off of Necropolis using 3.5. I usually like to set 3.x stuff in SL, but Necropolis is so heavy on ancient Egyption mythos it seems like it would require way to much work to convert. Any suggestions on how to to convert such an egyption-heavy module to SL metaphysics?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Wow. I go to class and this breaks out. :p ;)

First let me thank those that helped to field these questions.

Secondly, let me also state that while I have helped with SL material (I did some freelance), my goal in this is to provide people with a forum for their SL questions, comments and of course errata! It's also where I will, of course, address things I feel can help people add SL content to their games (even if it's not a Scarred Lands game. ;) )

Now to the questions.

First Victorysaber's.

victorysaber said:

Well it's kind of a mixed bag on that one. Blood Bayou does address this question, but if you're looking for stats, Creature Collection Revised does have those same stats that you'd find in Blood Bayou. I prefer to reference that since I like Creature Collection Revised, alot. Basically the Jack is one of six beings (including Erias) that was once the creature/Uthriach called Psyclus. However thanks to Mesos sending Vangal after him, Psyclus split up into six different beings. The aftermath of Kadum's Deluge didn't help matters any. My own personal opinion (and this is something I felt Mike missed even though he tied things together nicely) is the Jack is more an amagmalation of divine/pre-titan entities merged together. That's how I would have done but there you are.

victorysaber said:

Several actually. In terms of Oriential and Arabian, Dragon lands (as mentioned) have a sort of "asian" feel, certainly the Dragon Emperor is a divine being like both China's and Japan's. Shelzer presents a kind of "arabian" nights feel, especially with it's history of genie bindings. (That whole area really since it's known for it.) Old europe style, probably would be around the south and Mithril in some ways. Ghelspad is kind of a hodgepodge of various areas of interest to many fantasy types. Darakenee is near rennienasse but also has (further out in the grasslands) much in the way mediveal feel. Same is true with Calastia (albeit more akin to a darker Venice/Florence feel) and Vesh to various degrees. Termana I term more of a "African with Mideveal exploration feel" depending on the areas. (Most of the Calastian Occupation force for example, while the forsaken elves are generally varied.) The other "natives" vary on Termana, but certainly have some Mideveal feel. The Blood Bayou though tends to dominate the The four main desert areas of the Scarred Lands, the Ukrudan Desert in Ghelspad, The Desert of Onn (The Crucible Lands), the Soulburn Wastes in Asherak, and of course Iron Sands Deserts in Termana often have some Arabic feel, depending on how you might view survivablity in those places. (Certainly the outling regions in the Ukrudan have some "arabic" feel. The same is true in the Desert of Onn.) I hope that was helpful.

victorysaber said:
No there are not, and I'm reasonable certain its because Uthriach, like their "divine" counterparts can only manifest through "avatars" and thus no stats remain. I would advise looking at the Divine and the Defeated for similiar ideas for stats. Certainly they should have the Psionic type/subtype.

victorysaber said:
No but if there were, I'd use d20s for HD. ;)

victorysaber said:
Well that's kind of a tough one to field since "powerful" can mean various things to various people. For example, the Slacerian dragon, while not physically powerful (even at Great Wyrm stats compared to even the weakest true dragon of similiar age catergory) can easily unravel any magic powers/effects with its breath weapon. Same is true for the Jack in terms of him being immune to many different effects and being a semi-proficient melee combatant. (His strength obviously lies more in his cunning and magics though.) Outside of Scarn, in the outer planes, there are probably a great number of demons, devils, angels, etc that might challenge the power of most mortals. Then there are the gods and the titans themselves. It's not just one thing but certainly there are enough threats on the Scarred Lands to warrent an adventuring party to reconsider some tactics. Especially if, say, you toss out Slacerian stuff. (With psionics being different, even in 3.5, it makes life on the Scarred Lands extremely hard to compensate against such assaults, at least without some mental protections since those seem to still work, magical ones anyway.)

Hope that was helpful Victorysaber.

Now to others.

Hussar,

Hussar said:
Nightfall, after my WLD game finishes up, I am considering starting a SL wiki to bring all the OGL material up to 3.5. Would you be interested in contributing?

I'd be most happy. Certainly I think that CC 2 needs an update and some fixes. There is some 3.5 material but most definately I'd like to maybe add or revise some domains, along with a more consoldated spell list from R&R I, R&R II and the OGC. Just let me know when and where.

Next, radferth,
radferth said:
I'm starting up a one-off of Necropolis using 3.5. I usually like to set 3.x stuff in SL, but Necropolis is so heavy on ancient Egyption mythos it seems like it would require way to much work to convert. Any suggestions on how to to convert such an egyption-heavy module to SL metaphysics?

Actually it's not that hard since I'd use the Iron Sands Desert in Termana as your basis. Since the jungles of the Glamganus are near by, the normal "snake" people can be Yu-tain instead or at least Mormo worshippers that fled from the Yellow Jungles for whatever reason. The eqyptian mythos isn't that hard since Mormo, while not of any true given alignment, can allow for say, a small group of followers, (druids instead of clerics) that are lawful or at least follow more dominating principles. The other gods, just replace with either Titans (depending on how close they are to Set) or to the real gods. I hope that was helpful.

So what else you got for me folks?

Remove ads