Scheduling for the IRON DM 2017 Tournament

Slit518

Adventurer
You were an alternate for last year's tournament. I figured I'd give you a chance to sign up early as a contestant for this year. If you want to refresh your memory on what this tournament is I direct you to check out the OP.

Alright, so I signed up as a contestant and not a judge?

If so, can we wait until after the New Year to start, so things with holidays and family slow down a bit?

Slit518

Adventurer
Then it would be a 1018 contest and not 2017 :)

Oh god! That is quite the time travel!

Back to being serious. There is only a few weeks left of 2017, and we don't even have everyone signed up.

I suppose we can do it, but it would be all rushed, right?

Rune

Once A Fool
Alright, so I signed up as a contestant and not a judge?

If so, can we wait until after the New Year to start, so things with holidays and family slow down a bit?

While it's certainly possible that we don't get started before the new year, I certainly hope to get round 1 going as soon as possible. Losing momentum from taking too long just makes the coordination harder down the line. The first round will begin as soon as we have 8 contestants and can schedule the matches. It'll move pretty quickly. After that, we'll ease off of the throttle a little bit for the next two rounds.

I know it's a bit of a commitment, but the first round (frankly, the toughest) only requires a block of 24 hours, which you get to schedule – and you'll probably only actively be working on the entry for a couple or few hours of that. Most contestants (myself included) like to let the ingredients marinate in the mind for a while before getting to work.

My advice: go ahead and sign up; competing in an IRON DM Tournament is probably the most exhilarating writing experience you'll ever have. If you absolutely cannot make the scheduling work for you, you can always drop down to an alternate.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Maybe Morrus will allow you to put an announcement on the front page. Most people like me go from the first page to the play-by-post forums and could miss it.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm interested. It's always fun to participate in the Iron DM competition! I'm a retail worker, so this time of year gets a little crazy, but I'm happy to give it a go regardless.

Remove ads