Schools of thought--Where we all stand on the big questions

Vegepygmy

First Post
High magic (FR) V. Medium Magic (GH, 1e) V. Low magic (Conan) settings

Home made settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

Low level games (1-10) V. Mid level games (10-20) V. High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in V. I only really need and use one.

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tabletop grid and dry erase V. No grid

Miniatures V. No miniatures V. Miniatures only or the complicated stuff.

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures

Modules V. I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Adventure paths V. standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Magic item stores V. No magic item stores.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Laptop for the DM at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Laptop for players at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Mood music while playing v. None

Sound effects while playing v. None

Boxed sets V. Hardcover books

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Non-weapon proficiencies V. Skills V. Just wing it, do a Dex check or something

Kits V. Prestige classes V. Neither

Core classes V. Kits and/or prestige classes

Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Feats V. Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees V. I already said no feats

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

Describing exactly how you are searching V. Rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings V. Rules

Player skill V. Character abilities

Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bitch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

We use CR V. We don’t use CR.

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill.

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Greyhawk (Before the Ashes)

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

Fallen Seraph

First Post

Home m
ade settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate.

Low level games (1-10) V. Mid level games (10-20) V. High level games (20-30+) are my favorite

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon) (While there is math, it is described narratively)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tiles V. No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. No structures

Adventure paths V. standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

Class based system (Other games no classes, but D&D is class based) V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.(Players roleplay it out but rolls determine what bonuses or negatives happen because of the kind of Character)

Describing exactly how you are searching (but rolling can contribute to the characters ability to find said thing) V. Rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings V. Rules

Player skill (Player skill but how well your character is at what you wish to attempt is tempered by Character abilities) V. Character abilities

Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters (Were playing a cooperative story so it is best to see the characters through to the end unless the player wishes differently based off the narrative flow of the story) V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking (If a player wants his character not to contribute to combat that his choice it shouldn't be a limit because of his class) V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat
(Combat is rare so everyone should get a chance to contribute) V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge (Combat is rare so should stand out and be a set-piece) V.
Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill. (Though this isn't entirely accurate, it is based off what experiences a character has, so combat be part of that)

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels. (Though in my case we have a system to it, but it is based off DM deciding if a character has accomplished something important)

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Planescape (with my own adjustments, ie; getting rid of alignment with the Factions)

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

ADDED ONE QUESTION HERE:

Define in one PARAGRAPH what Hit Points represent in your gaming world.

Well, I play 4e so Hit Points are divided between HP and Healing Surges. HP represents ones ability to fight, compete, etc. at that current time, the more it goes down they more likely you are to collapse or be rendered disabled. Healing Surges represent your actual health, the more your Healing Surges are used up the more actual hurt you are and thus less able to recover as often.

Woas

First Post
Schools of Thought:

Home made settings V. Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

PERSONAL NOTE: Neither. I don't read fantasy game novels. My fantasy comes from bastardized real-world history, classic fairy tales and classic fantasy.

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

PERSONAL NOTE: They both have there places. Depends on the mood of the game at the time. And it's wet erase, not dry :)

Miniatures V. No miniatures V. Miniatures only for the complicated stuff.

Tiles V. No tiles

PERSONAL NOTE: I don't know what you mean by tiles, so I guess no?

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V.
Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

PERSONAL NOTE: Softcover, digest/travel sized books are even better! :)

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

PERSONAL NOTE: They both have there times....

Feats V. No feats

PERSONAL NOTE: They both have their times...

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Detailed world politics and economies
V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

PERSONAL NOTE: Neither. Gritty.

Game balanced encounters V. The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

PERSONAL NOTE: Neither. Every character should have something to do regardless even if it might no directly be 'combaty-esque.

Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

PERSONAL NOTE: Neither. Like above, sometimes your Level 2 character opens a door to Orcus waiting for you... shouldn't have gotten yourself that deep in the first place.

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill.

We use an XP system V. The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

My favorite setting of all time is: my own.

PERSONAL NOTE: Plus more not on the list...

EXTRA QUESTION HERE:

A combination of a level of damage dealt to the body and ability to avoid that damage. The more HP a character has the better he is at making what would have been a death dealing blow, less than death dealing. He twists, turns, contorts, and defends in a learned skillful way, so that even if he takes damage, he minimizes the amount he takes. Zero = unconscious, -10 = death, full = perfect health.

PERSONAL NOTE: I share the same mindset towards hit points as the OP so I'm just restating that response. In essence, Hit Points = Physical health.

Slander

Explorer
Schools of Thought:

High magic (FR) V. **Medium Magic (GH, 1e) V. Low magic (Conan) settings

Home made settings V. **Give me a base setting I’ll do the rest (1e Greyhawk) V. Give me a detailed setting and keep detailing it (2e FR).

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. **Settings and novels being separate.

** Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check)

Multiple worlds and settings to adventure in V. ** I only really need and use one.

** Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon)

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. ** Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death.

Tabletop grid and dry erase V. ** No grid

Miniatures V. No miniatures V. ** Miniatures only or the complicated stuff.

Tiles V. ** No tiles

3d structures on the gaming table (things like mountains, hills, trees, etc. ) V. ** No structures

** Modules V. I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Adventure paths V. ** standalone modules V. Didn't you see what I said above? I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures

Lots of Houserules V. ** Moderate houserules V. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book.

Magic item stores V. ** No magic item stores.

** Roll play V. Role play

** PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. ** Paper

** PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. ** Paper

** Laptop for the DM at the gaming table v. Pen and paper

Laptop for players at the gaming table v. ** Pen and paper

** Mood music while playing v. None

Sound effects while playing v. ** None

Boxed sets V. ** Hardcover books

Gygaxian V.** Non-Gygaxian

Non-weapon proficiencies V. ** Skills V. Just wing it, do a Dex check or something

Kits V. ** Prestige classes V. Neither

** Core classes V. Kits and/or prestige classes

** Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. ** No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes.

Feats V. ** Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees V. I already said no feats

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. ** Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities.

Detailed world politics and economies V. ** Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff.

** Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it.

Describing exactly how you are searching V. ** Rolling a d20 for search results

DM Rulings V. ** Rules

Player skill V. ** Character abilities

** Heroic V. Superhero

Game balanced encounters V. ** The world’s a dangerous place, your 3rd level wizard might open that door and out pops Orcus.

Save or die, life’s a bittch V. ** Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

** Classes balanced against each other per level V. Every class has its place, and some are more powerful than others at certain things, or at a lot of things.

** Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat.

** Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing.

** Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven

** Every combat encounter should be somewhat of a challenge V. Sometimes, your epic level characters kick down a door and it’s just a mouse in there, eating some cheese, and that’s ok, because the world is made up mostly of those kinds of encounters. That's not to say we still won't fireball it and take its now melted cheese...

We use CR V. ** We don’t use CR.

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. ** Nope, just for the kill.

We use an XP system V. ** The DM just gives it out once in a while as he decides he wants us to progress in levels.

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. ** My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age.

Characters take their place on the battlefield leading troops in battle V. ** The battle happens while we do things only a PC group can do which helps determine the overall battle’s outcome.

My favorite setting of all time is: Darksun

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. ** Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

Masquerade

First Post
The OP and I seem to have very different perspectives on the game (no offense, of course, all opinions are equally valid), but I answered the questions to the best of my ability with the options given. Note that I started playing D&D with 3rd edition and have played 3.5 and 4e, but I have no interest in earlier versions of the game. Also, I don't care for or read fantasy literature, I play RPGs almost exclusively through virtual tabletop or PBP, and I have never enjoyed running a module/adventure I didn't 'write' myself.

(Addressing all Grid/Miniature questions) I use MapTool virtual tabletop software

Roll play V. Role play

PDF everything V. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Core classes V. Kits and/or prestige classes (Why not both?)

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) Other than my own? Ravnica.

What a hit point represents varies vastly depending on the situation, and say what you want, but it's really not something that I think about too much.

Drkfathr1

First Post
My Schools of Thought:

Tiles V. No tiles

Modules V. I’ll make up my own stinkin’ adventures I actually like a little of both.

Lots of Houserules V. Moderate houserulesV. We may tinker here and there, but we play it mostly by the book. Depends on the system. We prefer to have few, but sometimes feel like we have to have them.

Roll play V. Role play Bit of both.

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

DM Rulings V. Rules

Heroic V. Superhero

Combat-centric/focused/driven V. Roleplay/intrigue/politics/economics –centered/focused/driven Mixture of both, but probably leaned more towards combat.

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) My own homebrew. Greyhawk would be 2nd, and Dragonlance would be 3rd.

I debated whether or not to put this last one in because of its chances of leading to an edition war, but I figured it would be interesting to know the edition you prefer, after we know all your other main gaming preferences. Lets try it and please keep it civil, no edition war crap.

Chanmail V OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5, with alot of 4ED influence. V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster V.

ADDED ONE QUESTION HERE:

A mixture of physical health, endurance, luck, and skill.

Mallus

Legend
High magic (FR) V. Medium Magic (GH, 1e) V. Low magic (Conan) settings - all, depending on level

Settings growing alongside novels (FR novels being the prime example here of togetherness) V. Settings and novels being separate. - N/A

Detailed combat rules for combat moves, attacks and actions (anything other than swinging a weapon giving specific mathematical bonuses or penalties, for ex. -2 terrain, +4 blinded +2 full attack, -2 concealed, etc.) V. Let the DM wing combat moves, attacks and actions (giving it his own bonus or detriment based on a quick gut check) - both

Narrative critical (it bashed the side of your head, blood is your left eye making it difficult to see and you’re a bit dizzy) V. Criticals which give some mathematical detriment (it hit your arm, you’re now -2 to attack with your primary weapon) - both

Wizards at high levels ARE AND OUGHT TO BE feared V. Wizards at high level are completely unbalanced. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf them to death. -all high level characters should be feared.

Tiles V. No tiles

Roll play V. Role play -both

PDF magazines V. Paper - N/A

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper -N/A

PDF supplements v. Paper - N/A

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian - Gygaxian in terms of eclecticism and whimsy, non-Gygaxian in terms of focus of play.

Non-weapon proficiencies V. Skills V. Just wing it, do a Dex check or something - all, depending on the situation

Kits V. Prestige classes V. Neither - all, depending on the campaign

Core classes V. Kits and/or prestige classes - all, depending on the campaign

Feats V. No feats

Class based system V. No classes, just a character with various skills, abilities, and attributes. - for D&D, class, for other RPG's, non-class

Classed monsters with skills, feats, etc. V. Non-classed monsters, they just have special abilities. - both

Detailed world politics and economies V. Who gives a crap, lemme go kill something and take its stuff. - both

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it. - both

Describing exactly how you are searching V. Rolling a d20 for search results - both

DM Rulings V. Rules - both

Player skill V. Character abilities - both

Heroic V. Superhero - both, depending on level

We use CR V. We don’t use CR. - sort of

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill. - neither

10d6 caps to 3rd level damage spells V. My 30th level wizard’s fireball can, like that meteor from 600 million years ago, cause the next ice age. - depends

My favorite setting of all time is: (fill in the blank) - my 2e homebrew World of the Islands

bonus question: hit points measure a character's ability to keep fighting.

This should be reworked as a webpoll that then compiles the results and tells you which iconic character you are, complete with a cute little graphic and vBulletin text that you can cut at paste to share your results.

Sorry, I had to edit your list to make it more meaningful :D

Magic

• I like my magic rare, mysterious, and powerful. When players encounter magic, its typically doing odd things and its always dangerous.

Settings
My favorite setting of all time is: Dark Sun

Heroic V. Superhero

• I rarely use pre-written modules. My games tend to be serial instead of episodic, thus I feel that dropping in a random adventure to Castle Amber breaks the flow of the game too much.

Adventure Types

• I tend to have serialized games. They often turn into AP style games but they are heavily influenced by the characters (backstory always gets used in a major way). I tend to have a broad idea of the threats the party is facing and flesh them out only when they finish the current adventure I have laid out.

Combat Adjudication

Tiles V. No tiles

• I make no bones about it, I like tactical miniature combat. I always try to plan my adventures to feature one spectacular combat where I use odd mechanics (riding, sieges, wagon chases, collapsing buildings, etc). I like my combats to be cinematic, especially the climax fight (cinematic fights and gritty worlds, is that possible?)

Rules Adjudication

• I house rule as needed and as fits the world I'm running

Game System Style

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

Feats V. No feats

Feats V. Book of Nine Swords-style progression trees V. I already said no feats V I like both

Rogues being able to sneak attack/backstab in combat because of flanking V. He’s a thief, he doesn’t belong in combat, shoot an arrow from far away if you want to be in combat. V Rogues should vary just as much as fighters

Every character being able to do something every round of combat V. Sometimes you just gotta hang back and let the meat shields or fireball howitzers do their thing. (aka, let someone else shine sometimes)

XP should be gained for the GP value of treasure looted V. Nope, just for the kill. V Other

• I like player options. Feats, skills, different power systems (Bot9S), 3E multi-classing all appeal to me as a gamer. I can make a very specific type of character that way.

Play Style
Roll play V. Role play - Stormwind Fallacy

Rolling for social interaction results V. Roleplaying all of them out, the results are what you personally glean from it. v Middle Ground

DM Rulings V. Rules

Player skill V. Character abilities V Middle Ground

Technology and Supplements
PDF magazines V. Paper
PDF core rules V. Paper
PDF modules V Paper
PDF supplements v. Paper

Game System

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I took the test, though I echo Jack99's sentiment about some questions apparently being colored by edition bias. My commentary is in green italics. Erroneous assumptions/false dichotomies in red.

Schools of Thought:

Most systems I've played (even D&D 3x) rely a bit on both. Likewise, I enjoy either, depending upon what game I'm playing and other factors.

Tiles V. No tiles

A bit of both. I rarely use modules as-written, but I also have a life outside of gaming, which means that I typically don't have enough time to write entire campaigns from scratch.

I tend to modify standalone adventure modules to create adventure paths and campaigns.

Roll play V. Role play

PDF magazines V. Paper

PDF core rules V. Paper

PDF modules V Paper

PDF supplements v. Paper

I use both. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Gygaxian V. Non-Gygaxian

I like both of the indicated options, depending upon what game I'm playing.

Feats V. No feats

I've actually come to find that I most enjoy systems such as Rolemaster and D&D 3x that combine both a skill system and classes.

Another "I like both, depending upon the needs of the current game" answer.

Aaaaaaaaaand another ;)

Ideally, both of these things. They aren't mutually exclusive.

DM Rulings V. Rules

Rules when they are written, DM ruling when no applicable written rules exist.

Heroic V. Superhero

Yep. You guessed it — depends on the game. Achilles, Hercules, etc were all arguably superheroic, frex. Conan generally wasn't.

I don't like either extreme but, instead, prefer a more even-handed approach than either option presented here.

Save or die, life’s a bitch V. Hey, not fair, I invested a lot of time in that 15th level guy and he shouldn’t die because of one bad roll.

As mentioned in another thread, Thieves can backstab in combat in editions that lack flanking rules (notably AD&D 1e and AD&D 2e). This comparison is invalid, based on that reality.

Again, prettly clearly a false dichotomy. Neither answer suits me, at all.

When I'm playing a game that uses CR, I use it. When I'm playing a game that doesn't use CR, I don't.

Treasure is its own reward.

My favorite setting of all time is: HarnWorld

Chanmail V. OD&D V. Holmes D&D V. AD&D V. Moldvay B/E/C/M D&D V. Rules Cyclopedia D&D V. Second Edition V. Thrd Edition 3.0 V. Revised Third Edition 3.5 V. Fourth Edition V. Castles and Crusades V. Savage Worlds V. OSRIC V. True20 V. Mutands and Masterminds V. Pathfinder V. Basic Fantasy RPG V. Gurps V. Hackmaster V. Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved V. Rolemaster

Also, add HarnMaster. I like variety in the games that I play.

Last edited:

Remove ads