• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Science Fiction/Superheroes

Brutorz Bill

First Post
Justin D. Jacobson said:
Thanks for the mention, but it sounds like Dawning Star might be right up your alley. There are a ton of Free Downloads on the site to give you a good idea of what the setting is all about. And, the best part, DS was designed to accommodate a number of sci-fi sub-genres: bug hunt, Space Western, alien relic hunting, political, etc. You'll find something in there that will speak to you. I guarantee it.

I agree Dawning Star is Awesome!!!

ragboy

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Have you considered Dawning Star?

Star Wars/Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon = space serial fantasy.
Star Trek = soft sci-fi.
Alien(s) = sci-fi horror.
Buckaroo Banzai = campy sci-fi adventure.
Blade Runner = hard sci-fi.

Blade Runner ain't no hard sci-fi! That's the granddaddy of the genre all them kids call "cyberpunk."

2001 -- that's hard sci-fi.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, most cyberpunk- Blade Runner included- is a subset of Hard Sci-Fi.

Its science is a reasonable extrapolation from current tech- no real physics-breaking tech like FTL or time-travel here- and there are no sentient alien life forms.

Jim Hague

First Post
The_Gut said:
Well, True20 has the LUX AETERNUM setting available, which is swashbuckling space opera style space adventures. Its interesting.

For a rules light superhero game, you can check out Truth & Justice. It has an interesting settings book (I can't remember the name though) where your superpowers are drawn from mythological gods - the Aztec/Mayan, Norse and Greek pantheons are stated out. So you could be a superhero drawing their power from Fenris, Medusa, Odin, Thor, etc. This isn't D20 in any shape size or form (And D20 would suck for superhero stuff anyway). I haven't yet played Truth & Justice, so I can't vouch for it playwise - but it reads interestingly.

I also haven't played, and its not D20, but there is the Serenity rpg, set in the Firefly universe. I've heard bad things about its rules however. I haven't even read it.... but anything associated with Firefly can't be all bad.

I'm really interested in D20 traveller myself, and its on my "to buy" short list.

I dig on T&J, but you've obviously never read Mutants and Masterminds, which is the #1 supers RPG out right now. It most assuredly does not suck.

Corsair

First Post
Jim Hague said:
I dig on T&J, but you've obviously never read Mutants and Masterminds, which is the #1 supers RPG out right now. It most assuredly does not suck.

One could contend that not only is it the greatest thing since sliced bread, but in fact the greatest thing prior to sliced bread as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads