• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

seasong's Light Against The Dark (FEB 06)

Capellan

Explorer
And it all started so well!

One question I have is about the population of your game world. Just how bad a disaster is the loss of 4,000 able-bodied adults? In my own setting, for instance, that'd be a disaster equivalent to the entire destruction of one of the largest towns - or 40% of the capital city.

Be interesting to see how the PCs get out of this one - and also to get a closer look at the orcish culture in your game.

seasong

First Post
Caliber wrote:
I was interested to note that you offer a somewhat reduced price on many feats when they are taken to only apply to one weapon.

I take it Athan loaded up on these?
He did indeed :eek:. We've fixed the issue - I'm hoping to update the website by Wednesday with all of the fixes, as well as a bunch of new feat lists.
Capellan wrote:
And it all started so well!

One question I have is about the population of your game world. Just how bad a disaster is the loss of 4,000 able-bodied adults? In my own setting, for instance, that'd be a disaster equivalent to the entire destruction of one of the largest towns - or 40% of the capital city.

Be interesting to see how the PCs get out of this one - and also to get a closer look at the orcish culture in your game.
Theralis has about 500,000 people total, of which 50,000 are in Theralis itself. The 4,000 people that were lost were mostly from the regions near Eastpass, and those regions will be hurt bad (not enough people to even bring in the grapes and make wine), but Theralis (the city) was hurt worse, overall, by the war at its gates.

And everyone is going to be pretty hurt if the trade route doesn't reopen in a week or two.

As for orc culture... heh. My players pretty much said they've had a bellyful of "rich orc culture", we'll see how well that translates into the writing.

"And it started so well"... heh.

seasong

First Post
Note: in the first chunk of part IV of the Battle of Eastpass, where Captain Agina is telling Greppa why she's sending him to Theralis for reinforcements, Greppa was grinning rather than blushing. My bad, and I've corrected it in the post.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Just catching up after Thanksgiving vaca...

Seasong, this looks great. The background and the storyline. One question:

Had the players realized Hurath wasn't coming back by the time the big battle came along?

Best of luck to the captives! They may be back to buck naked soon for incognito's pleasure. No wait, that sounds wrong. :D

Seriously though, I think that Greek approach to body consciousness fits great into your setting. My current game world is set in a warm climate and the "nudity taboo" is more about the implied prosperity then about sexuality. It's better to look prosperous, healthy, and nude than to look dirty, rough, and wearing coarse clothing. But it's better yet to have beautiful, brightly colored clothing well cut.

Given Merideth's reaction upon seeing Athan, I'd say the more important issue is what taboos exist about relationships between enlisted men and women (or same sex couples, given the Greek theme you mention).

John

seasong

First Post
Greybar said:
Had the players realized Hurath wasn't coming back by the time the big battle came along?
The players suspected. Greppa continued to hold out hope, even there at the end.

And of course, my players know not to trust me until they see the body.
Best of luck to the captives! They may be back to buck naked soon for incognito's pleasure. No wait, that sounds wrong. :D
He he he. The captives do all right for themselves, but the bargain they make is costly.
Seriously though, I think that Greek approach to body consciousness fits great into your setting. My current game world is set in a warm climate and the "nudity taboo" is more about the implied prosperity then about sexuality. It's better to look prosperous, healthy, and nude than to look dirty, rough, and wearing coarse clothing. But it's better yet to have beautiful, brightly colored clothing well cut.
That sounds cool! I don't suppose you have a website for your setting?
Given Merideth's reaction upon seeing Athan, I'd say the more important issue is what taboos exist about relationships between enlisted men and women (or same sex couples, given the Greek theme you mention).
Well, I'd hoped to dodge Eric's Grandma, but... ;)

Firstly, both Merideth and Greppa have been admiring Athan's (admittedly admirable) physique. With that said:

Everyone in Theralis is enlisted during their youth, so quite literally, everyone the three friends might get in a relationship with, who is their age, is enlisted. It's not a real issue.

However, physical relations are forbidden during the term of Service. Ostensibly this is to focus people on their duty, but there is a more practical reason: half of the soldiers are female, and pregnant soldiers don't fight.

Aside from that, thus far they're both out of luck where Athan is concerned. He's evinced a complete lack of interest in sex, regardless of gender. If you've read The Deed of Paksenarrion, I think that's what he's aiming for :).

As for the Greek theme... it's complicated (culture usually is), but in essence:

Family:
* Families require heirs; this is a duty of the oldest living child.
* Marriage is always male-female, and is the "balance basis" of a new family.
* Family is a very different beast from love.

Lovers:
* The concept of a lifemate exists, but they're rare.
* Same-sex love is reasonably common, about 6% of the population.
* Love is a very different beast from family.

Philosophy:
* Egalitarianism is very, very strong in Theralis.
* Male/Female is not a dichotomy, but a careful balancing.
* There are hero legends where gender has changed; in one or two, this was willing (and necessary for powers to be gained).

Exceptions:
* There are male-only and female-only mystery cults, usually oriented around Atmos and Demis.
* Men are more commonly wilderness-oriented. Women are more commonly community-oriented. However, female scouts, hunters and hermits are not uncommon, and neither are male politicians, civil servants and engineers.

snownoir

First Post
On Athan

*Sigh* It seems that Merideth and I will have to suffer....until Seasong gives me that hot Orc bard I've been badgering him about.

Snownoir=Greppa's player

Last edited:

Greybar

No Trouble at All
That sounds cool! I don't suppose you have a website for your setting?

Yeah, but I'll keep it hidden until I put some more work into it. [grin] Actually my game is on hiatus (alternating with a friend's game in half-year-ish chunks). However, once we get started again I have a hankerin' to try my hand at a story hour. yeah, promises promises.
No pressure, but I'll be using you as a role model. [grin]

My societal structure is actually somewhat of an anti-thesis to yours. The originating concept was a world where the gender roles were strongly divided, but not in the dominant/subserviant axis. Women (Sunborn) and Men (Moonborn) are very separated down to their spiritual roots. Sunborn have immortal souls, but one life to prove themselves in so that they can take their place in the heavens. Moonborn have reincarnate souls, and thus may unknowingly be the next life of a great hero (or terrible villain). But there I'll stop, since this thread is about seasong's cool world not mine. :D

John

seasong

First Post
Greybar said:
However, once we get started again I have a hankerin' to try my hand at a story hour. yeah, promises promises.
No pressure, but I'll be using you as a role model. [grin]
Aiee!
My societal structure is actually somewhat of an ...
That does look pretty cool. Let me know when you have a website up. I devour other people's worlds like candy :).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads